Akro measurements

DINDO

They do represent measurements.  I think most companies used those measurements.  But for some reason I have been under the impression that one company didn't -- maybe an older company before the measurements were standardized.

This is from an Akro salesman case:  

dImGsP5.jpg

000 is 1/2"

00 is 1/6"

0 is 5/8"

And I just figured out how to remember the rest 1 is 11/16", 2 is 12/16", 4 is 14/16", up to 6 which is 16/16".  

Thanks Steph. Your answer is as straight as the kro flies. As always.👍

It looks pretty uniform for all the companies except MFC wich may of had some larger varietys .  I started getting confused as  akro also numbered their box sets. Its also cool the marble companies came up with this numbering system. I suppose then MFC created it.

It is possible that MFC created it.  The one that I thought might have been different --  I think that one may have been from Europe.  So maybe there was a 20th century American standard  and maybe a different one for Europe in the 19th or early 20th century.  This is just a fuzzy half-memory so pretend I didn't say anything about that.  

If MFC went to size 10 that would equate to 1-1/4” (6=1”, 7=1-1/1/16”, 8=1-1/18”, etc.) They definitely made slags those sizes and larger, at least up to 1-5/8” (size 16, my grandson’s shoe size lol,) though slag experts like greg11 would know what the largest one made was I’m sure. I wonder if the 11-16s all had to special ordered? 

Yes, Akro did make Popeye shooters, 3/4” or so. They’re not common or ridiculously HTF, and are of course pricier than the 5/8” ones if buying. I had a set of five with three colors, red/yellow/green on a fluorescent base, that illustrated the spinner cup either slowing down or speeding up as the cork patterns got progressively weaker until the last was a Popeye patch. Unfortunately I sold the set or I’d post it :wacko:

20 hours ago, DINDO said:

I would like to see one of those huge slags.

I've sold most of my big MFC slags, but I have one that's over an inch - here's a group that shows a range of sizes to give you an idea, Dindo. The fancy Bennington is 1-5/16", the brown slag is 1-3/16, the blue - which I think is Akro - is 1", the aqua is just under 7/8", the orange is 3/4", and the electric yellow CAC is 5/8".

1267723212_P1110420(1).thumb.jpg.e8b240a186909306b7496e1a08ab4a3e.jpg

On 7/27/2018 at 1:14 PM, Royal3 said:

Yes, Akro did make Popeye shooters, 3/4” or so. They’re not common or ridiculously HTF, and are of course pricier than the 5/8” ones if buying. I had a set of five with three colors, red/yellow/green on a fluorescent base, that illustrated the spinner cup either slowing down or speeding up as the cork patterns got progressively weaker until the last was a Popeye patch. Unfortunately I sold the set or I’d post it :wacko:

I had a true 7/8ths red and yellow popeye...sold it years ago for good$$...haven't seen one since.