Smiling Canadian unmushroom marble

Got this from that Canada lot. I posted this on FB as a Vitro, and then a Vitro ninja reminded me of the Canadian mushroom marbles and sure enough, the colors match and even more important, mine is not veneered. I just didn't get a mushroom in the deal.

Love this hobby because there's so much to learn and discover. Just wish I had more field opportunities to do so. ☺️

_DSC0003.jpg

20190316_174559.jpg

20190316_174606.jpg

20190316_174614.jpg

20190316_174620.jpg

OK, I’m ignorant here - Canadian Mushroom marble?? Are they at all related to the Canadian transitionals? Is this purple/yellow a typical example? 

@Steph will know more than me about these, but here's a board link to one with the "mushroom construction".

The speculation as I understand it is that Canada may have contracted and imported the colorful transitionals from Japan (that seem to show up in Canada) and then perhaps later made a similar arrangement for these "mushroom" machine made types, that also seem to originate in Canada. Is that accurate, Steph?

The colors on mine sure did remind me of some of the earlier "Canadian" transitionals which tempts the thought: maybe they used the same glass formulas to make some of the mushrooms? Maybe it was the same company in Japan that made both....?

But now I'm just getting too speculative. But maybe with Japan's longevity there's somebody still alive who can tell the story?

Shall we raise money for Steph for a research grant to travel to Japan? 😀

Mushroom marbles can be found in the U.K as well. Very uncommon though as the group shown is all I have ever found + 9 not pictured doubles.  I would never have known what the purple and yellow one that is all messed up was, but lucky it was in the same little group as the other one.

Are they related to the Canadian Transitionals???  Can't say yes or no. They do however share a very close colour pallet. 

mush-1.jpg

mush-12.jpg

mush-123.jpg

mush-1234.jpg

mush-12345.jpg

mush-123456.jpg

mush-1234567.jpg

mush-12345678.jpg

mush-123456789.jpg

This one came in with the green and yellow one and the blue and yellow one. Very thinly veneered though. Has anyone else seen this blue on anything besides a Canadian transitional?  Can't take pics of my Canadian stuff since I am in the U.K still.

mush-1234567890.jpg

mush-12345678901.jpg

mush-123456789012.jpg

mush-1234567890124.jpg

• 1 month later...

See the Jap transitional`s in groups all the time down here in Australia get the mushrooms also but not in numbers finding the couple i have is proving a bit of a problem 

4501-01-011.jpg

4501-01-01.jpg