Snottys

Marboman and Massmarbler, those are not snotties. The snotty has a yuck brown/tan/yellow opaque ribbon in transparent colorless base glass. Any other color transparent swirl is something else as far as I know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheese said:

Marboman and Massmarbler, those are not snotties. The snotty has a yuck brown/tan/yellow opaque ribbon in transparent colorless base glass. Any other color transparent swirl is something else as far as I know.

OK...I don't have one of those, trying to picture that combo.Thanks

Yous looks very similar to an Alley I have with the yellow base glass & white swirls running in out & around it very similar to CAC except the color of the base glass & the thickness of the swirl structure. A beautiful marble, I had this with my CAC for a very long time before I realized my miss I.D. A lot of Alleys have been I.D. as CAC in the past, corals & flames just to mention a few, I'm still doing the shuffle just like everyone else. Maybe a little improvement as more and more provenance is revealed.

image.png.97ca53249b9585714d2d42e025701cf2.png

image.png.054a027ad93edb646742c9aac6941264.png

Hi Chad my marble has a clear base glass not yellow. And your marble does it have two colors of flourescence like mine?

11 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Yous looks very similar to an Alley I have with the yellow base glass & white swirls running in out & around it very similar to CAC except the color of the base glass & the thickness of the swirl structure. A beautiful marble, I had this with my CAC for a very long time before I realized my miss I.D. A lot of Alleys have been I.D. as CAC in the past, corals & flames just to mention a few, I'm still doing the shuffle just like everyone else. Maybe a little improvement as more and more provenance is revealed.

image.png.97ca53249b9585714d2d42e025701cf2.png

image.png.054a027ad93edb646742c9aac6941264.png

Hi Chad my marble has a clear base glass not yellow. And your marble, does it have two colors of flourescence like mine?  I don't think your marble is like mine at all, but I could be wrong.    So your saying the only snottie must be CAC and brown as pictured?  Seems we had this discussion many years ago and more colors were included.  I not an expert just a collector

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

46 minutes ago, marboman said:

Hi Chad my marble has a clear base glass not yellow. And your marble does it have two colors of flourescence like mine?

Hi Chad my marble has a clear base glass not yellow. And your marble, does it have two colors of flourescence like mine?  I don't think your marble is like mine at all, but I could be wrong.    So your saying the only snottie must be CAC and brown as pictured?  Seems we had this discussion many years ago and more colors were included.  I not an expert just a collector

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

A great discussion Bo, I'm not a Christensen expert either. From what I understand the opaque strands can be different colors but the base glass is always transparent colorless in a snotty, the base glass looks yellow in your pics , just wondering where the yellow is coming from ?? Pictured is mine, yes !! the opaque striations do fluoresce under uv.

image.png.2d531b09847157f7c5a615bc41bd5d9a.png

This one, the Alley doesn't fluoresce even a little, a transparent yellow base.

image.png.0fb41787f3d7638fa8527096fd7fdbaf.png

Another snotty, pics & link courtesy of AAM

LINK : https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27202&p=211937&hilit=Christensen+snotty#p211937

image.png.f37690baf2933e5921b2754772b50031.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, Massmarbler said:

So now I am very confused? So this isn't a snotty because it has horse hair in a clear base?20210713_134755.thumb.jpg.54779fb97371bbb3eed25023befa3885.jpg20210713_134722.thumb.jpg.1fdd008ef9ea3f346cb9a18d70dbdf81.jpg

The base glass looks to be a kind of reddish amber color to me, not transparent clear, the link I posted is about the best info I can find on snotty's. Yours looks more like a W. Va. manufactured marble, ribbons & base are wrong & yes (horsehair) would definitely disqualify it as a snotty. Hopefully someone more well versed in Christensen will chime in, I'm at the end of my knowledge on this subject.

Chad you said "Pictured is mine, yes !! the opaque striations do fluoresce under uv."  Just wondering what color ? I think were I went wrong was I started with bad pics. Here's one last pic, I assure you the base is clear

029.JPG

The only CAC's in this entire thread are the clear base green snot colored opaque swirling CAC Snotties. No CAC Snottie has horsehair oxblood.  Oxblood is almost never seen a any CAC swirl.  I am an old man and that is a downfall not a plus with identifying marbles. 

Hello Ron, Thanks for chiming in here , I appreciate your input. And yes I understand my marble is not a snottie ,don't think I ever claimed it was. My interest now is the flourescent quality of Chads marble,for ID purposes.If Chads marble reacts under UV as he says, then do all snotties react under UV ? And what color flourescent ? Green?,orange? both colors like mine? This has been a good learning thread ...Thanks Ron for taking time to comment, BO

Only Chad can answer if his marble glows or not ?  Do all CAC Snotties react to black light ? I cannot answer that for sure. But I would not be surprised at all if some did not and some did. I think the Snotties were probably made from cullet and not batch glass. When scrap glass is used to make marbles. You get what ever was in the glass to begin with. The original CAC Snotties were all clear base with the snot green colored swirling with no cut lines showing. Like those posted above. Then as always people wanted their marble to be a CAC Snottie. So they stretched the name and included any clear base CAC and single colored swirl without cut lines were sold as a Snottie.  I have seen people selling peach, red, blue, yellow, etc. clear base single color CAC swirls as Snotties.  It is simple, a CAC Snottie should look like snot. That is why it got the name. Sometimes a marble should glow or is required to glow under black light to be a specific named or certain company marble. But like many things with marbles it may not be always or 100%.  It is just one thing or trait that can sometimes help with a identification. Not all but almost every US machine made company made some marble that glow. Every Us machine made company also made marbles that did not glow. Because a marble glows under black light does not make them old. What color they glow depends on what was used in making the glass. Sometimes this was done intentional for raw batch glass. But Many marbles glow by accident. Not intentional because of the cullet or scrap glass used to make the marble glowed originally. Before it was made into a marble. All this just to refresh information about marbles that glow. 

You might be satisfied or able to accurately id your marble to a certain company by the way it reacts to black light, if.  If you or someone else has found or seen ten or a dozen of the same which glow the same. Or a original marked labeled box set or bag of the same marbles which glow the same. If those numbers get to 50 or one hundred which all glow the same ? It might be safe to say that all of those certain marbles should or will glow.  Like a Akro Lemonade, we all together have seen millions of them that glow. So it is required to glow in order to be a true Akro Lemonade for collectors. With numbers comes more accurate identification. The more traits used for any id the more accurate the id. 

No maybe we will see if CAC(original)Snotties glow, which color, or how many might glow ?  

Hello BO, back from fishing, yes mine does fluoresce under blacklight, not intensely but it does fluoresce. The opaque in this marble is a snotty yellowish brown color just like it's namesake (snot), this pic is little overexposed, so the colors area bit washed out, sorry about that !! and the late answer !! Thank you for your patience !!

image.png.f286861520c3fb5ebdf05ce70d0f28c6.png

image.png.ca4e5679fd45905a7d5fde4459acb3d8.png

Thanks Chad for the info. I learned alot about  snotties. As Ron said snotties were sold in different colors,etc.,as long as they looked snottie. Times change a better definition is needed. But if I ever do find one of these things I will want it to glow like yours. BO

6 minutes ago, marboman said:

Thanks Chad for the info. I learned alot about  snotties. As Ron said snotties were sold in different colors,etc.,as long as they looked snottie. Times change a better definition is needed. But if I ever do find one of these things I will want it to glow like yours. BO

You're welcome Bo, when you stumble on one like  did you'll know it before you even uv. it They actually look like you know what !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1