Ravenswood Novelty Paul Bunyan Marbles

wvrons

Who made these ? What is your opinion ? Ravenswood did not make them. Ravenswood bought them, named them, packaged them and sold them in their mesh and plastic bags. Also came with a rare large childs toy named Paul Bunyan with a Blue Ox. The marbles are placed on the Ox's back then flip his tail and the marbles roll across the ox's back and down across the head into a trough or track below between the ox's legs. I have one in a original box. Kids love it and will wear one out. The marbles were made by Akro or Master. None have ever been dug at Akro that I can find out about. The cut lines look more Master. They come in about five color combinations. They are all near 7/8 inch size.  The most common color combo is opaque yellow base and red patch.

DSC07767.JPG.4ad4e400fbc6abc13e7e13c154a68c8d.JPGDSC07766.JPG.8c687c51319a8b865f3f5fb31ffaae19.JPGDSC06528.JPG.5203688928648b7cfd3acf7210971550.JPGDSC00033.thumb.JPG.ff2185dc7f310d2d89c2bc2d1d99d6c1.JPGDSC00035.thumb.JPG.a067250a849d3a77a656cbb511774d30.JPGDSC00043.thumb.JPG.887496e1d74ecc95d84bead2e0fda3f3.JPGDSC00044.thumb.JPG.648881bac481c98e4a056c060d7cdb6b.JPGDSC00038.thumb.JPG.5290599e217af8aa9757c93e9718e28a.JPGDSC00045.thumb.JPG.9bb71f1fca75afa08c57a7f256008a36.JPGDSC00072.thumb.JPG.9aea8474595c99ea83c4116a773726ef.JPG

Many of the Ravenswood packaged marbles contained one large Paul Bunyan marble. The Old Fashioned Marble mesh bags contained Ravenswood marbles and one Paul Bunyan marble. 

Did Ravenswood get the name from the Paul Bunyan game ? Did they get a order for 7/8 size marbles for this Paul Bunyan game. Since they did not produce 7/8 size marbles they bought them from another company and named them Paul Bunyan. I think the date of the Paul Bunyan game is about 1931-1933. 

This marble game or childs toy is rare to find. I know of about maybe six total in the hands of marble collectors. 

I have done a couple articles on this for the West Virginia Marbles Collectors newsletter in the past years. 

Have you got any Paul Bunyan marbles ? 

• Like 1

Interesting..looking at the pics, I kept a marble that is in bad shape, but I loved the color combination, and have never seen another quite like it till this pic. (The lime green blue one), was completely opaque...I assumed it was Master, it measures just a hair under 3/4"...so I guess I don't have a Bunyan! 

The tags stapled the back of Ron's bags claim them to be Akro because they were dug out of Akro bins. But they have since been identified by many as Master Marbles because of their large size & mostly the structure. What you have probably is a Paul Bunyan marble Liam. I only know because I watched the vid Stephen made with Ron covering the subject. Looking at the structure of the marbles themselves I tend to agree with the Master conclusion.

LINK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCleD_JMnI&t=23s

With my limited knowledge lol. Would Master be the one to let's say sub out the 7/8  or larger on a contracted basis. Didn't Master also sell big mibs to Alox..idk just a thought. 

Would Akro sell mibs to Ravenswood? 

I have been back and forth on these Paul Bunyan marbles either Akro or Master for 25 years. Who put the label on the Ravenswood bags that states made by Akro and why ? Maybe because they would sell better as Akro 25-35 years ago ? 

I ask Roger Hardy if he knew what a Paul Bunyan marble was. He said no. I showed him some twice years apart and ask if he had ever dug one or seen one dug at Akro. He said no.  I ask if he had any in any of his original Akro box sets. He said no. I have looked through his collection maybe 25-30 times and I have not found any. 

If you check Marble Mania by Stanley Block 1998 page 99. He shows four Akro box sets. One with Unique(Grebe)marbles, One with Hero(Brown Thrasher)marbles, one Hero(Golden Tawny)marbles and one with Hero(Rainbow)marbles. Every box are all shades of brown colors. They all look like 7/8 size marbles. The marbles all have very similar patterns. On page 101 is another Akro box set Unique. These marbles are all more solid single color patch colors. Single colors on each opaque white base marble, of green, yellow, red, or blue. So I am not positive what the difference is between a Akro Unique, a Hero, or a Thrasher.   

I also had four different original box sets of 7/8 opaque patch marbles same size and looks as the Akro box sets. But these all were marked Unique and Made by Master Marbles.  Each box had a row of different colored patch marbles. Some were the Paul Bunyan colors.  I sold them two years ago to George Sourlis as he was writing a Master book and wanted these four Master box sets. 

What is the difference between a Akro Unique, a Hero or a Thrasher ? What is the difference between a Akro Unique and a Master Unique ?  

Hello all,

I just gave my wife several copies from the glass study series from The West Virginia Museum of American Glass for a Birthday present, one of which covered Ravenswood. If the information in this pamphlet is accurate, I would conclude that Ravenswood made these marbles using equipment purchased from Akro Agate.

The Paul Bunyan’s may look Akro but the quality is not, for that time frame. I also have a hard time believing that Master would have sold such quality at the time.

Seeing the marbles that Gladys posted, I would conclude that they are Akro no doubt. Her toy looks to be in the original box and the marbles are rare (top notch killer for sure) enough to presume that they may have been contracted by Akro.

I propose that Ravenswood made their own marbles and after slow sales contracted better looking marbles from Akro.

I know possibilities are many. Just my thoughts. Interesting that the following page in “Marble Mania”, the book Ron mentions shows “Akro Helmets”. Time will sort this out as it did with the “Akro Helmets” or the Vitro “Popeye Patches”. Discussion such as this will help tinder the fire.

The Paul Bunyan toy is what Interests me---where were they made? Documents from the place of manufacture may show direct shipment of marbles from a specific place.

Marble on!

No I just really do not know what I have! I have not even started learning about swirls or CAC? I was trying to focus on Akro / Peltier/ Vitro/ Marble King, a little Ravenswood, my brain can't retain that much info at once! it's been about 5 years now and I think I am ready to start learning about swirls?.......... I love that toy ox I have to play with it at least once a day! LOL 

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

Hello all,

I just gave my wife several copies from the glass study series from The West Virginia Museum of American Glass for a Birthday present, one of which covered Ravenswood. If the information in this pamphlet is accurate, I would conclude that Ravenswood made these marbles using equipment purchased from Akro Agate.

The Paul Bunyan’s may look Akro but the quality is not, for that time frame. I also have a hard time believing that Master would have sold such quality at the time.

Seeing the marbles that Gina posted, I would conclude that they are Akro no doubt. Her toy looks to be in the original box and the marbles are rare (top notch killer for sure) enough to presume that they may have been contracted by Akro.

I propose that Ravenswood made their own marbles and after slow sales contracted better looking marbles from Akro.

I know possibilities are many. Just my thoughts. Interesting that the following page in “Marble Mania”, the book Ron mentions shows “Akro Helmets”. Time will sort this out as it did with the “Akro Helmets” or the Vitro “Popeye Patches”. Discussion such as this will help tinder the fire.

The Paul Bunyan toy is what Interests me---where were they made? Documents from the place of manufacture may show direct shipment of marbles from a specific place.

Marble on!

DSC_0034[1].JPG

DSC_0035[1].JPG

14 hours ago, wvrons said:

I have been back and forth on these Paul Bunyan marbles either Akro or Master for 25 years. Who put the label on the Ravenswood bags that states made by Akro and why ? Maybe because they would sell better as Akro 25-35 years ago ? 

I ask Roger Hardy if he knew what a Paul Bunyan marble was. He said no. I showed him some twice years apart and ask if he had ever dug one or seen one dug at Akro. He said no.  I ask if he had any in any of his original Akro box sets. He said no. I have looked through his collection maybe 25-30 times and I have not found any. 

If you check Marble Mania by Stanley Block 1998 page 99. He shows four Akro box sets. One with Unique(Grebe)marbles, One with Hero(Brown Thrasher)marbles, one Hero(Golden Tawny)marbles and one with Hero(Rainbow)marbles. Every box are all shades of brown colors. They all look like 7/8 size marbles. The marbles all have very similar patterns. On page 101 is another Akro box set Unique. These marbles are all more solid single color patch colors. Single colors on each opaque white base marble, of green, yellow, red, or blue. So I am not positive what the difference is between a Akro Unique, a Hero, or a Thrasher.   

I also had four different original box sets of 7/8 opaque patch marbles same size and looks as the Akro box sets. But these all were marked Unique and Made by Master Marbles.  Each box had a row of different colored patch marbles. Some were the Paul Bunyan colors.  I sold them two years ago to George Sourlis as he was writing a Master book and wanted these four Master box sets. 

What is the difference between a Akro Unique, a Hero or a Thrasher ? What is the difference between a Akro Unique and a Master Unique ?  

Sometimes I wonder, whichever crew was working just made their own "formula" and screwed around, and they just came up with the names, marketing and packaging after the fact. Not like they are sitting on perishable inventory... and maybe their was never any real rhyme or reason, especially in the early years of production... just a thought. Lol...

Would be kinda funny.

Gladys,

I doubt that anyone has a toy such as this in such great condition. I am sure that Ron is booking his next trip to Minnesota to look for more clues. This is a fine example of asking and receiving. No matter the experience in collecting, one always has something to share of great quality. I applaud you for sticking your post in and sharing. I wish that more would.

Do not be scared of sharing what you have, no matter your experience level. These rare finds are evidence of the history and the knowledge that may be gained from sharing. Ask questions and share what you have. Have no fear of being judged. There are folks managing this board that will stick behind the most inexperienced and experienced collector. Post and learn.

I welcome all new collectors as all on this board do. Ask more questions and receive more answers. Ron is top notch and he still asks—follow his example.

Great job---Marble on

52 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Gladys,

I doubt that anyone has a toy such as this in such great condition. I am sure that Ron is booking his next trip to Minnesota to look for more clues. This is a fine example of asking and receiving. No matter the experience in collecting, one always has something to share of great quality. I applaud you for sticking your post in and sharing. I wish that more would.

Do not be scared of sharing what you have, no matter your experience level. These rare finds are evidence of the history and the knowledge that may be gained from sharing. Ask questions and share what you have. Have no fear of being judged. There are folks managing this board that will stick behind the most inexperienced and experienced collector. Post and learn.

I welcome all new collectors as all on this board do. Ask more questions and receive more answers. Ron is top notch and he still asks—follow his example.

Great job---Marble on

Thank you so much! I watched Ron in youtube video he has one of these!  so I asked him if he was the famous Ron Shepard! with this toy! he mentioned that the marbles that came with it were named Paul Bunyan , so exciting! but mine were different I got the Akro's 

I wanted to see a Paul Bunyan! so he shared and he wanted to see mine! I am learning it's O.K. to make mistakes that's what you learn from . Thank you again

I have one Paul Bunyan toy Ox with the box. My box has wear .  Nola has two Paul Bunyan toy Ox's with Paul Bunyan marbles. Both in the box and in great shape. Ric Anthony has a Paul Bunyan toy Ox . His came with Akro 7/8 inch patch marbles, not sure any had oxblood ?  

I interviewed three past employee's at Ravenswood Novelty. Not a one remembered packaging or seeing any 7/8 inch size marbles at all of any kind. I took three Paul Bunyan marbles with me during each interview. None of them had ever seen a Paul Bunyan.  All three of those are now deceased. Maybe the were hired after the Paul Bunyan marbles ? I have talked with three people who were at the last auction of the contents of the Ravenswood factory. They never saw any 7/8 size machine. Jack Bogard was one, he bought one Ravenswood 5/8 machine and marbles. He ran that machine at Jabo but it was to slow to make any money with.  

Faye Safreed  daughter of the late Edwin Safreed. He was the main man at Ravenswood start to finish. She said her Dad made the Paul Bunyan marbles. Maybe it was a very short time and early ?  

I have learned over the years that for sure not all in print is 100% correct. I also have learned for sure that memories get distorted, not on purpose, but it happens. It was a lot of years ago. 

Currently I have seen or know of more Paul Bunyan toy Ox's with Paul Bunyan marbles than known Akro marbles. About six that came with with Paul Bunyan marbles and two with other Akro marbles. 

Someday someone may find out for sure no doubt as to who actually made the Paul Bunyan marbles ???  Ravenswood ? Akro ? Master ?  Packaged for sure by Ravenswood Novetly. I have not seen them in any other companies package. 

• Like 1
  • Award 1