Glass Chat

I'm tossing the idea around; of compiling a list of Marble makers (U.S. manufacturers) and listing out the actual known Factory names given to marbles. 

Then making a list of Named marbles that were given by collectors and organizing them by manufacture, who named the marbles etc. and then archiving the thread for posterity.

Hopefully archiving all the info in one Titled thread, so it would be easy to find.  

Would any and all care to help?

This would take some input for sure.

• Like 1
  • Award 1

Awesome !!!! Thanks for a great start everyone!

Well Steph, I was thinking- how about Manufacturers in Alpha order below.

Manufacturers and varied names added in by copying & pasting the previous post into a new post and adding the additions and corrections as we go. 

How about for starters we stick with the machine makes type and not the super early Leighton or Navarre as they should be addressed as hand made and may not even have a name. Also there is at least 6-7 of those type companies that deserve a deeper dive someday.

Anyway here's a start of Companies: now we just need to start adding the known factory named marble types.

Albright:

Akro Agate Company: Popeyes, 

Alley Agate:

Alox:

Bogart; C.E. Bogart and Son's:

Cairo Novelty:

Champion Agate:

Christensen Agate Company:

Davis:

Heaton Agate:

JABO:

Jackson:

Kokomo Opalescent Glass:

Marble King:

Master Marbles:

M.F. Christensen:

Mid Atlantic:

Peltier Glass Company:

Playrite Marble and Novelty Co:

Vitro Agate Company:

It is a bit daunting. I flirted with this idea before but the wheels came off when I started to try to gather collector names. If I were doing this I would start with a tabular data source like Excel or the free Google Sheets or https://airtable.com/pricing, then link to that on the forum or try to paste it from the source into a forum-friendly format.

I spent an hour one evening starting one for Vitro but never got more than this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cxNKBi4Q8P9U0P0nu2EhGeFESowGD3VZVF89sA5k06o/edit?usp=sharing

That is one big project.  Several of those companies do not have any company named marbles. Some do not even have one named marble even by collectors. Some did not even put a company name on any package.  Some will be a big list of names even by company. I think that I have a list of about 84 names of Vitro marbles. Peltier names have to be in the hundreds or a thousand.  The names may not do a lot of good if there is no picture of the named marble. I think it may be a few years project if possible at all ?  Some marbles have two names east coast or west coast. More are named almost every week.   It is a wish by all collectors, but no one has done it yet.  It will be lots of long days, months, or years. 

Yeah.  It's almost an "impossible" job.  But if you don't know it's impossible, maybe you can do it.

Maybe set up the google doc framework and give permissions to a team of collectors to update it.  

A single thread would be very hard to organize, even a single thread per company.  But if you get a data framework which is structured and expandable, then who knows what could grow from it.