Slags & Swirls Saturday!!

William

5 hours ago, akroorka said:

Soooo—what is a “Brick”—a slag or a swirl??
Some Bricks are swirls according to our standards but some are slag’s using the same standards.
I vote that “Bricks are “Bricks” in their own category—but I think that they fit right here in “Slags and Swirls Saturday”.
I thought that this one may have been buffed—but the weird little blowout shows a chunk of the blow-out materiel that is still present on the lower edge.
Look and look closely—I just love this stuff!!
Marble—On!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

That air pocket blow out is just astonishing.  There is no way that that marble has been polished.  Beautiful pattern. -John

• Thanks 1

"Happy Slags & Swirls Saturday"

Sorry for the white specs, they're not in the marble but just debris on the surface, shwoops   :huh:

s11.PNG

s12.PNG

s13.PNG

s15.PNG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a strange slag.

Years ago I'd thought the sparkling in it, in some of the white (Hard to see in old photo) where the red is surrounding white, is sparkling and in the lower right side's white. I know better these days. Yet I'd thought maybe it and the oxblood on the surface was, maybe, some kind of MFC special. 

These days I believe the sparkling is a coincidence caused when cooling and the oxblood is super rare but weird that is just faint. Sadly, it is not thick enough to stand out though. I mean, I had it for a few years before I'd noticed it and that was accidental. 😄

The photo's graphics are old but, if ya look a bit, the Hand-gathered 9 pattern (Lower left) is part of the wider ribbon (Centered position) of thin oxblood wrapped around the marble.

mfcslagwoxavent.jpg.9b46c901889fc549e76d30022b0756e8.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 6:36 PM, Jeff54 said:

Traditionally or technically this dug-up or reject Christensen Agate swirl would not be considered an Exotic for the lack of more colors. However, it is like many that were dug-up which were not qualified to pass quality control. I handled quite a few that Les J. sold and had, most were rejects, out of round, poorly shaped etc. Amana 2002 whenever I picked this up in a collector's room because of the obviousness.  .. For that reason, the swirl pattern unlike the norm and a reject so, I deemed it to be of like kind; unusually exotic.

YelRed-Exotic-Swirl.thumb.jpg.96afe0245ba7840712ae97a12c594ef0.jpg

So, as related to the aforementioned yellow and red CAC reject error, dug-up, replied, and Attached above, here's a blue and yellow I picked up at the same time, with similar reject qualities that make it exotic in the same way;

BlueYel-ExoticStrpOpaq.thumb.jpg.c9e30cfb451cc26f28a6d08433e83d4a.jpg

• Like 1

@Jeff54 I like the weirdos too, and you've posted up some interesting ones, for sure. Just because a marble didn't meet the company standard and got pitched doesn't mean you can't learn anything from it, and it doesn't mean they aren't attractive in their own way either.

• 2 weeks later...