Slags & Swirls Saturday!!

William

18 minutes ago, Fiedlerschauffer said:

Those cut lines are very interesting to me are they one cut line mibbs or is there another line hiding in the back?

Those are single seam hand-gathered slags - CAC, I think.

1 hour ago, Fiedlerschauffer said:

I saw the punty cut…. And I saw him snipping the end off the cane …Someone help me on that …it is the first time I have see the procedure done and my main question is was he cutting pieces of the cane and putting them in the machine to round them?

I don't think most folks would call those canes, Ralph, more like hand-gathered globs. AFAIK, canes are made in a rod-like form and then used to make marbles later, and you can form and cut multiple marbles from the same cane. I think hand-gathers are one-offs but they still need to be cut from the gather that is stuck to the punty rod. The machine is used to round the gob that is cut off.

It does look like they may be using bits of cane as a source of glass though.

In the video it shows him cutting the end off …it kinda looks like a stretched piece of hot glass but now I see its just kinda pulled out a little to demonstrate what he was doing…I’m learning ..🤔and it’s shamrock glass marbles that look like the Striped opaque and transparents. I’m seeing so it’s time to look them up 😃thanks guys I’m having a ball!!

• Award 1

On 11/20/2021 at 1:21 AM, Chad G. said:

Good Moring Slag & Swirl Saturday   :wave2:

Christensen Single seam Amber slag :

image.png.26b465e79e23122356117e9aed600256.png

image.png.684e5f47cd22e9ed8d282c1e8f073a8c.png

Peltier (onyx) Amber Slag, i.e. Peltier feather slag :

image.png.3ae140288e90ce4a0f8582ff3e19885f.png

Road and tunnel beauty!!!

Soooo—what is a “Brick”—a slag or a swirl??
Some Bricks are swirls according to our standards but some are slag’s using the same standards.
I vote that “Bricks are “Bricks” in their own category—but I think that they fit right here in “Slags and Swirls Saturday”.
I thought that this one may have been buffed—but the weird little blowout shows a chunk of the blow-out materiel that is still present on the lower edge.
Look and look closely—I just love this stuff!!
Marble—On!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 2