Slags & Swirls Saturday!!

William

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Marble machine โ€œGenesisโ€.

That's a great knob, John, and a super cool use for it. I'm interested in the marble machine "Genesis". Did you design and/or build it?

3 hours ago, Ric said:

That's a great knob, John, and a super cool use for it. I'm interested in the marble machine "Genesis". Did you design and/or build it?

The journey for โ€œGenesisโ€ began in late 2001. ย Design and build occurred during 2002. ย First marble rounding attempt was March 2003. ย First successful sphere was August of 2003. ย First public demonstration was October of 2003.

Genesis was followed by the โ€œMark IIโ€ in 2006โ€ฆ

Itโ€™s been a crazy trek the last 20 years!

I designed the machine based on the MFC patent (~80%). The remaining design had ideas from other marble machine patents, plus one of my own features not claimed in any patent.

Built the unit at work over a period of months. ย Had the โ€œwheelsโ€ made at a friendโ€™s machine shop.

Bruce Breslow and Cathy Runyan-Svacina gave the initial push. Brian Graham provided me with the MFC patent number. ย The rest is history!

• Award 1

7 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

The journey for โ€œGenesisโ€ began in late 2001 . . .

That is really awesome. It sounds like a labor of love and perseverance - way to stick with it!

It's a beautiful looking piece of machinery, I'd love to see it in use.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

The journey for โ€œGenesisโ€ began in late 2001. ย Design and build occurred during 2002. ย First marble rounding attempt was March 2003. ย First successful sphere was August of 2003. ย First public demonstration was October of 2003.

I designed the machine based on the MFC patent (~80%). The remaining design had ideas from other marble machine patents, plus one of my own features not claimed in any patent.

Built the unit at work over a period of months. ย Had the โ€œwheelsโ€ made at a friendโ€™s machine shop.

Bruce Breslow and Cathy Runyan-Svacina gave the initial push. Brian Graham provided me with the MFC patent number. ย The rest is history!

What would it cost to have you make one for me? I am a mechanical engineer (HVAC design) but no mechanical aptitude for making anythingโ€ฆ๐Ÿฅด

On 9/30/2023 at 10:20 PM, Shamrock Marbles said:

Any videos of that bad boy runningย :Panic:

17 hours ago, schmoozer said:

What would it cost to have you make one for me? I am a mechanical engineer (HVAC design) but no mechanical aptitude for making anythingโ€ฆ๐Ÿฅด

You are not the first to ask. To reproduce โ€œas isโ€ today it would be around $5,000. ย It could be done for much less using cheaper materials and components.

However, the real cost was my research and development time. ย Would hate to put a dollar value on that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Not readily available. ย However, here is a link showing the larger โ€œMark IIโ€ in action . . .

I can't believe I never saw this. Thanks for posting the link. I really enjoy the sound of that machine in action.

Those are some pretty fancy marble shears too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1