Slags & Swirls Saturday!!

William

On 4/29/2023 at 11:37 AM, Ric said:

All nice ones, Tommy - looks like there might be a Sistersville or three in there, and I'm thinking that last one might have a good UV glow. Does it?

You know it does...is that the Vitrolite cullet in that one and possibly a Jackson?

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

You know it does...is that the Vitrolite cullet in that one and possibly a Jackson?

Oh yeah, Tommy, that's the dirty white Vitrolite and it's a Jackson.

• Like 1

CAC Blue Lace.

Back in the day, 1980's, these and others of the CAC kind were first considered slags. Whenever they caught the attention of collectors and the transition to machine made marbles became collectible. Prior too, the  interest in this hobby was German cane-cut, handmade. Basically, almost hard to imagine now, all machine made were considered 'Junk'. Which if you were there to grab CAC for a buck eh?

Yet it wasn't just a slag as once it took off the first name was A Blue Lace. The others found to be CAC Modern Swirls, later on, around the 1990's, the modern adopted the Lace designation. So, being an old timer, it's what is was, even though today, given the transition of newer names, and or types, no longer, 'Just a Slag' out of a seller' 1 buck box; it would be considered: 'Striped transparent.

854916745_ChristensenAgateBlueLacestripedTransparent.jpg.1b63ee13f15103c6ee86f365565bb855.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave 13 said:

Happy Slags & Swirls Saturday the red one is a little over 3/4 inch 

Nice Blue Lace Jeff 

2B6D1CC8-6F92-4464-AED2-407920C5E5D4.png

5E41ED55-9B87-46AA-8681-E75695E90C8D.png

5088BA0D-8F3E-47E8-A254-6B5EEFA71B31.png

CD225965-BEF5-41BE-B51F-066003C87437.png

12585BBB-3163-4ECF-8090-6A3E3F898414.png

B8A25AE5-F6AE-4CDD-B09D-97E57C4EEE6F.png

DFCD0B61-D037-4E5D-A89D-BCB3763A4DA7.png

16DBD4E0-4094-4477-8FFC-9848C161F528.png

Yeah Tks Dave. Chad is not the only admitted 'Cheap guy'. It was one of those unidentified, although I knew it exactly  right off; Ebay, Wait and watch the ending last seconds with no bidder, snipes.  Anticipation to get it, turned out mint too.

• Like 1

Traditionally or technically this dug-up or reject Christensen Agate swirl would not be considered an Exotic for the lack of more colors. However, it is like many that were dug-up which were not qualified to pass quality control. I handled quite a few that Les J. sold and had, most were rejects, out of round, poorly shaped etc. Amana 2002 whenever I picked this up in a collector's room because of the obviousness.  .. For that reason, the swirl pattern unlike the norm and a reject so, I deemed it to be of like kind; unusually exotic.

YelRed-Exotic-Swirl.thumb.jpg.96afe0245ba7840712ae97a12c594ef0.jpg

• Like 3

@Dave 13 Nice slags, Dave!

@Carowill Very nice swirls, Bill - the electric yellow is great!

@akroorka Nice Alley, Art! That one looks to be in great condition, which is saying something since the glass on those is so soft, and given the bling they were probably a lot of kid's favorites, so they're usually pretty beat. And that's a pretty corkscrew too - nice size!

@Jeff54 Cool CAC, Jeff, I certainly see what you mean about it being"unusually exotic" - wild and funky pattern, for sure.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ric said:

@Dave 13 Nice slags, Dave!

@Carowill Very nice swirls, Bill - the electric yellow is great!

@akroorka Nice Alley, Art! That one looks to be in great condition, which is saying something since the glass on those is so soft, and given the bling they were probably a lot of kid's favorites, so they're usually pretty beat. And that's a pretty corkscrew too - nice size!

@Jeff54 Cool CAC, Jeff, I certainly see what you mean about it being"unusually exotic" - wild and funky pattern, for sure.

Yeah: 'Exotics'. I do not think very many people in the marble collector's forums actually got to see how many rejects and irregulars that were dug-up at the plant site in 2002. Moreover the majority seen on ebay and in the forums were the best without flaws.

Clyde T. didn't make a show until 2004. He sent me two scans of what he'd acquired. Not so easy to see the irregular, reject oddities in them but it's a good sample, like many I witnessed at Amana 2002.

895643506_Clydesdug-upsfrom2002CACgrouppurchasedat2004Showasortment..jpg.e2873963867c33b2a929ed5221279266.jpg

Clyde's dug-ups from 2002 CAC group purchased at 2004 Show asortment.-2.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Jeff54 said:

Clyde T. didn't make a show until 2004. He sent me two scans of what he'd acquired. Not so easy to see the irregular, reject oddities in them but it's a good sample, like many I witnessed at Amana 2002.

I'd say it's a nice sample too. A couple look like "sand layer" rejects - sorta lost it on half the marble.  It also looks like an Alley Exotic Coral and a Peltier Multicolor Swirl snuck into the pic. Having known Clyde, the Pelt doesn't surprise me too much and there were quite a few Alleys that were originally attributed to CAC too.

• 2 weeks later...