Lamp Ornament Find

Marbleneophyte

23 minutes ago, Marbleneophyte said:

So as soon as I stopped looking I find it.  I popped the marble back in.  This is what it looked like when I found only a lot cleaner.

IMG_5177.JPG

Pretty cool...looking forward to some input from the community 😊

I have two just like yours.

Big yellow on red Corkscrews are in mine.

It is way too easy to switch the marbles out in this type of finial.( I would switch it out for an Akro for sure)

$5 was a good deal regardless of the marble that it held.

If this is a Jabo, it is a pretty good one IMHO and at five bucks a good buy.

I would steer away from Jabo on this one.

I just call them like I see them and I am far from any type of WV swirl expert.

Marble--On!!

Thanks for the input guys. The piece was so grimy when I found it I really think it's got some age on it, but I've been fooled before.  It's very similar to a couple of Jabo shooters I have but perhaps I have them misclassified.  Regardless though its an attractive marble and a keeper.  I think I'm going to leave it on the finial.  Do you have a photo of the red & yellow corks?

Guess maybe this is an older finial, not sure ?? The clearie is permanently attached somehow ?? Just a point of discussion, I always look for these but they seen to grow wings as I'm sure you all have discovered. Every antique store I go to that has them they're behind the counter, unfortunate I know. I had to buy the lamp attached to this one. I do have some very similar to yours "somewhere" Maybe I shoulda left em on a lamp ?? I'll dig a little tonight.

image.png.c68774ca96dc856e334cc2ce77ca7647.png

Thanks for sharing.  Funny thing, I've been going to antique stores and flea markets for many years and had never found one.  I saw 3 this past weekend at different vendors.  I bought the swirl but let behind a blue clearie and a white opaque.  I wish I would have bought them now.  As a group they would have made an interesting display.

There be a reason why you never see them in the antique shops, the only reason I got the is because I asked. The vendors goods are usually behind glass away, away from sticky fingers. An unfortunate happenstance I know !! I hate having to go back up and ask for a key every time I want to look at something.

1 hour ago, Chad G. said:

Guess maybe this is an older finial, not sure ?? The clearie is permanently attached somehow ?? Just a point of discussion, I always look for these but they seen to grow wings as I'm sure you all have discovered. Every antique store I go to that has them they're behind the counter, unfortunate I know. I had to buy the lamp attached to this one. I do have some very similar to yours "somewhere" Maybe I shoulda left em on a lamp ?? I'll dig a little tonight.

image.png.c68774ca96dc856e334cc2ce77ca7647.png

Hello Chad, this looks like an insert to a sign.

Patience my friend--always ask for the key and turn around for what it is worth.

Marble--On!!

3 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Hello Chad, this looks like an insert to a sign.

Patience my friend--always ask for the key and turn around for what it is worth.

Marble--On!!

Might be, though it's threaded and was on a lamp when I bought it ?? I have more like it "somewhere" another red clearie, a transparent clearie and an amber clearie, all exactly like this one. The base is Brass on all of them, which kinda turns me away from being an insert, but you never know what things may have been repurposed for ?? I always ask for the key but 2 of the vendor stores I go to are 3 storied, makes for a long walk every time. I'm sure I didn't ask for a key when I probably should have. Ever notice how the tags are turned upside-down on the desirable stuff ?? A clever marketing ploy on the part of the vendor ?? Most of the Owners know me though and keep an eye on what the vendors bring in.

Here are two different types that are 7/8" and 1" and not the same construction. They are more than likely the original composition.

Clearies yes, but just look at the clarity of these two—well cooked for sure. The one on the right is a "hanger/ puller"

Marble—On!!

Two different.jpg

Well all for tonight, one red one is all I could dredge up for now  :dunno:"maybe" more tomorrow ?? Here's a few pix of the one I was able find. I seen Arts pics and realized I have some pulls somewhere too, I'm eliminating some of the layering this Christmas so "maybe" able to find things for at least a little while ?? In all truthfulness you know I'm just making room for more !!

DSC04163.JPG

DSC04170.JPG

DSC04166.JPG

DSC04173.JPG

DSC04169.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Well all for tonight, one red one is all I could dredge up for now  :dunno:"maybe" more tomorrow ?? Here's a few pix of the one I was able find. I seen Arts pics and realized I have some pulls somewhere too, I'm eliminating some of the layering this Christmas so "maybe" able to find things for at least a little while ?? In all truthfulness you know I'm just making room for more !!

DSC04163.JPG

DSC04170.JPG

DSC04166.JPG

DSC04173.JPG

DSC04169.JPG

Odd but cool.

It almost looks like it was designed to be pushed onto a stud or something like it, never to come off.

Bruce we never did decide on a maker.  The consensus so far is that it old and pre-Jabo.  Before I cleaned it the marble was sticky and caked with grime.  I don't think it had been cleaned for years.  For now I'm leaving it on the finial and I'm gonna display it that way.  

Thanks again y'all for the input and the photos!

I am making my own lamps 🤹‍♂️

Almost finished 3 little ones , tjey just need a cord to plug em in and that has a switch to turn them on and of , the other ones on the side you can put candles in or a little pot with a nice plant 

20211121_203148.jpg

20211121_203155.jpg

20211121_203359.jpg

20211121_203454.jpg

• Like 3