Your Sunday Best !!

Chad G.

And another Alley for good measure . . .

RicA0172.jpg.86fd4cbae73bb1ed8cd99e179e787865.jpg

A good white-based Calligraphy is no easier to find than one with a colored-base, IMO.

• Like 5
  • Award 1

2 hours ago, Dave 13 said:

Hi Ric I just put it under the light the ribbons do glow a little orange couldn’t get a good pic but here is one

Thanks for checking that Dave - I'm impressed that you found it!

I was expecting it to glow green. It's interesting that it doesn't.

19 minutes ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Bullseye glass.  Diameter = 1-5/16”

Whoa, John, that's a nice marble - the size is great, and I really like the the cutoff and the looping!

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Whoa, John, that's a nice marble - the size is great, and I really like the the cutoff and the looping!

Thanks!  That marble had the same birthday as yours.  Just different glass and a variation on the “gather”.

Version 2 will be more distinct.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

And another Alley for good measure . . .

RicA0172.jpg.86fd4cbae73bb1ed8cd99e179e787865.jpg

A good white-based Calligraphy is no easier to find than one with a colored-base, IMO.

A beauty.  I consider these to be constructed like a European Wirepull, but with an opaque base versus a transparent.

I am a big fan of 2 glass marbles. This definitely would be a keeper. Complex, but simple. Or is it simply complex?

1 hour ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

A beauty.  I consider these to be constructed like a European Wirepull, but with an opaque base versus a transparent.

I am a big fan of 2 glass marbles. This definitely would be a keeper. Complex, but simple. Or is it simply complex?

Thank you, it is also one of my favorites. I like everything about it - the white base and the Alley signature blue. Could maybe have a little better coverage but it's definitely a keeper in my book too. 🙂

9 hours ago, Ric said:

Thank you, it is also one of my favorites. I like everything about it - the white base and the Alley signature blue. Could maybe have a little better coverage but it's definitely a keeper in my book too. 🙂

When mentioning the “coverage”, are you referring to one side having more blue than another side?

If so, that is physical reality of the glass stream pattern and how it piles up.

If you have a random or chaotic gather then you get a wire pull marble. Take that same stream and coil the gather and you get a flame marble.

Fundamentally the same marble with a different outcome. You’ll see a strong “presentation” side and a weak “backside”.

Here’s a CA Flame with a nice presentation side and a blank backside.

IMG_1053.thumb.jpeg.19a40fe9af1fd25d6348389bfeec72a3.jpeg

IMG_1055.thumb.jpeg.3de56cdafccf9277c27ecc385c24d02c.jpeg

IMG_1054.thumb.jpeg.980d9992ed7dce299e9794d664d0c847.jpeg

Hope I explained myself clearly. -John

• Like 3
  • Award 1

2 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

When mentioning the “coverage”, are you referring to one side having more blue than another side?

Yes - the extent that the pattern produced by the striping glass appears on the marble's surface.

2 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Hope I explained myself clearly. -John

You did, and I appreciate it too!

I imagine that with machine-made marbles a lot of it is just randomness and luck, so to speak. I certainly have seen these types of calligraphy marbles with better "coverage". But as you mention, the majority have a weak "backside".

And looking at the CAC photo you provided here adds a lot to your explanation of how the glass flow changes in remelted marbles like the one you discussed in another thread - thanks for that too!

• Thanks 1

My Sunday's Best, in Honor of Father's Day, goes out to my father, who just turned 89 on June 2nd, and to my Stepfather, who passed in 2004. 

The 2 watches belonged to my Stepfather and the Buckle was my Dad's from his square dancing days 👍😎

20240616_092041.jpg

20240616_091842.jpg

• Like 4
  • Award 1

14 hours ago, William said:

My Sunday's Best, in Honor of Father's Day, goes out to my father, who just turned 89 on June 2nd, and to my Stepfather, who passed in 2004. 

The 2 watches belonged to my Stepfather and the Buckle was my Dad's from his square dancing days 👍😎

20240616_092041.jpg

20240616_091842.jpg

Nice Qurtz 

• Thanks 1

My cleanest and one of my biggest sulphide's for this "Sundays Best" not a rare one, in fact one of the most common but still a favorite of mine, a "barnyard pig" my wife used to say " Better a male chauvinist pig than no pig at all   :lol2: " So I'm one second late, ah well, I tried to get here on time   :dunno:

image.png.592db711cbf16de56c18b6f01806356e.png

• Award 1