It is time to re-educate—Civil war marbles.

You do not have to admit that you ever fell for these; just admit that many folks did.
I will admit that I did a bit of research before I fell into this trap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224878007474?hash=item345bc614b2%3Ag%3ABYUAAOSw4E9iKTSl&LH_BIN=1

Research —research, research. 
Put the good money on the good marbles and no not fall for the false traps---of course—these may be a collectable fake by now—just so you know, they are not from the Civil War.
Marble—On!!

I admit that I did it the first year that I was into marbles back in 1995 or 1996.  It was not the only or last time that I got burnt. Research pays off. Too good to be true, is usually accurate. Never buy under pressure or at the last minute.  Buy marbles not names.   

My favorite picture of these was posted by @hrjane, if I recall correctly.  She had a group of them where one or more still had the kindergarten foil star attached.  

Some of the pictures in this auction show the ball mill ball crazing pretty well. I can't recall if I ever had one with the star.  

I posted this pic about 6 months ago. This was posted by someone (don't know who) when I first asked about them many years ago.  They seem to be mostly out of the antique stores and in the secondary market. A friend of mine has some, I pointed out that they were fakes, He don't care he likes 'em anyway. Thanks

Bruce

civil war mill balls fakes.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Berryb said:

I posted this pic about 6 months ago.

Thanks for reposting this. It's a nice representation of the varieties out there. Some are obviously whimsical and kind of fun - maybe even decorated by kids. Others are likley huckster's poor attempts to duplicate vintage marbles and deceive.

I suppose the thing to remember is that there is no such thing as an antique magic marker. lol