Fire1981

3 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

OK ! I think this is an Ace from the first box. Actually I’m going all in on this one. This is an Akro Ace 🔥

7F71530C-0AF6-4B61-B0A8-FC0CC5D713D2.jpeg

4FF02D36-5707-4547-AD76-433B42D3A908.jpeg

4121831C-1315-478F-A908-F99D4F3C47E0.jpeg

4D40E736-A4DB-4843-B27C-20CC9F2E852D.jpeg

8983900C-9660-40A1-A039-01F5CB0DD28B.jpeg

Onyx above ;

"Ace" refers to the translucent milky base glass in the OP IMO

MCSA ID reference

Corkscrews are identifiable as being two or more spirals of color that rotate around the marble from one pole to the other, but do not intersect. Different color combinations and designs were marketed by Akro Agate under a variety of names: Prize Name (two opaque colors), Special (three or more opaque colors), Ace (one opaque color and translucent milky white), Spiral (transparent clear base with colored spiral), Onyx (transparent color base with opaque white spiral). In addition, other names have been applied by children and collectors over the years: Snake (a Spiral or Onyx where the opaque or colored glass is on the surface and just below it), Ribbon (a Spiral or Onyx where the opaque or colored glass goes almost to the center of the marble), “Ades” (types of Aces with fluorescent base glass), and Popeye (a specific type of Special commonly found in Popeye marble boxes).

4 hours ago, akroorka said:

Akro Ace--- a real name--just sayin.

I tried my best.

ACE.jpg

ACE2.jpg

The Akro Ace is a real company name.  Yes.  But what Akro called Ace is a white-based marble which is supposed to have an orange glow when backlit.  It's like Pelt's Acme Realer.   I don't think it lasted very long.  And now the marbles are usually sorted as Prize Names because people don't think to check for orange glow inside or because the white is so dense that it didn't glow like it was suppose to.  

xOqiD0n.jpg

And then decades later, collectors took  Akro's Ace name and put it on a different type of marble. 

One of the little glitches of the mibology.  

Many collectors do recognize the actual Akro Ace.  But using the Ace name for marbles like Fire's is still very popular, so I don't fight it ... much.   However, when asked, I will point out that Akro sold marbles like Fire's first one in Moss Agate boxes.   

This is an Akro Moss Agate box.  It doesn't happen to have the blue and white version, but you see the family resemblance with Fire's marble.   

En00PyW.jpg

NkkA7MV.jpg

• Award 1

Back then Moss Agate was the top of Akro's line.  It came in swirly, corky and patch versions.   In early ads the Moss Agate was described as having "exquisite patterns".   That can be confusing when you look over at a patch box -- um, where's the exquisite pattern?  But it makes sense when you realize the ad writer probably had a cork or swirl box for inspiration. 

Collectors today aren't as impressed by the Moss Agate name as Akro expected consumers to be.    Thus, for many collectors today "Moss Agate" is a mildly boring name which is only used for patches.  And the "exquisite pattern" version of the Moss Agate gets names such as Lemonade, Blue Eggyolk and Ace.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

OK ! I think this is an Ace from the first box. Actually I’m going all in on this one. This is an Akro Ace 🔥

7F71530C-0AF6-4B61-B0A8-FC0CC5D713D2.jpeg

4FF02D36-5707-4547-AD76-433B42D3A908.jpeg

4121831C-1315-478F-A908-F99D4F3C47E0.jpeg

8983900C-9660-40A1-A039-01F5CB0DD28B.jpeg

No, not an Ace.  

Ace is a white-based marble.  Promise.   That's what allows it to get confused with the white-based Moss Agates.   Whoever put the non-white marbles in Art's box made my explainer job harder, lol.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steph said:

The Akro Ace is a real company name.  Yes.  But what Akro called Ace is a white-based marble which is supposed to have an orange glow when backlit.  It's like Pelt's Acme Realer.   I don't think it lasted very long.  And now the marbles are usually sorted as Prize Names because people don't think to check for orange glow inside or because the white is so dense that it didn't glow like it was suppose to.  

xOqiD0n.jpg

And then decades later, collectors took  Akro's Ace name and put it on a different type of marble. 

One of the little glitches of the mibology.  

Many collectors do recognize the actual Akro Ace.  But using the Ace name for marbles like Fire's is still very popular, so I don't fight it ... much.   However, when asked, I will point out that Akro sold marbles like Fire's first one in Moss Agate boxes.   

This is an Akro Moss Agate box.  It doesn't happen to have the blue and white version, but you see the family resemblance with Fire's marble.   

En00PyW.jpg

NkkA7MV.jpg

This link comes into agreement w/ your ace definition Steph (& so do I) a rare bird indeed. As far as fires second pic of an onyx I ID'd it above, lost in the flurry I guess ?? I'm tryin, just certain thing I get stuck on stupid   ....   :pirate:  ....  after so many years my hard drive brain get's stuck in second gear. I like the "mibology" term  ....  :lol2:

P.S. We'll probably end up here again if I don't learn how to shift  :eusa_doh:and get my Akronaughts license ??

LINK ::  https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?t=45347

• Haha 1

We've had several threads on it here.  But there are so few recognizable true Akro Aces ... and collectors love the Ace name so well for their fancy mossy marbles.  Thus I have come to terms with the naming custom and mostly sit on the side and let others run with the collector names.  

Every now and then it seems someone might be asking for some more technical information -- and Rick seemed like  he was asking for some hardcore Akro id-ing.  So I mentioned it here. 

• Like 1

Related note: there seems to be a resurgence of people calling marbles Ringers.  Most of those marbles also belong in a "exquisite pattern" Moss Agate box.      But people in some Facebook groups at least are getting pretty snarly about insisting that the marbles are Ringers so I'm super leery of _those_ discussions.     "Fine, you have a Ringer.  I'll back slowly toward the exit."  

I do NOT know what name Akro had for this marble.   Is the ribbon white -- did all the yellow appearance come being immersed in the baseglass?   Or is the ribbon yellow?  If white, then okay, easy vote for "sweet sweet onyx".  But if it's yellow, then I don't know which if any of their library of marble style names Akro was formally presenting this under.  At that point, I'm saying "Collectors, let your imaginations roll."   

Edit: or maybe I wait and hope that someone does know what box it came in ....  Maybe Art's box pic suggests that Akro WAS trying to slide a champagne-based marble into their white-based Ace inventory as they sent the salesmen around to show off their wares.  Would be interesting if we had more boxes to show that happening. 

But if it does turn out that the ribbon is white, then back to easy onyx.

• Like 1

It`s a fairly hard-to-find snake. First, it`s a colored snake in  colored transparent glass (most are in colorless as everybody knows). As far as I know (and I`ve been after them for years) there are three with yellow ribbons. The most usual is yellow in trans. yellow. The ones hardest to find are yellow in trans. amber and yellow in trans. purple, and they`re a little hard to distinguish from each other unless you have one of each in hand. Then it`s obvious.

• Like 1