Sparkler ID

Melissa

It may well be Akro but I probably wouldn't call it a Sparkler unless there are more colors than I'm seeing - the white filaments seem pretty fuzzy too. Having said that, it may well have wanted to be a Sparkler. 🙂

There are Sparklers and there are sparkler-type marbles. Where people draw the line can vary, as can the quality of a Sparkler. There are exceptional examples, excellent examples, fair examples and poor examples. The same can be said for all other types of marbles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

There are Sparklers and there are sparkler-type marbles. Where people draw the line can vary, as can the quality of a Sparkler. There are exceptional examples, excellent examples, fair examples and poor examples. The same can be said for all other types of marbles.

Got it. Thanks! :)

Again, it's about the quality of the Sparkler, what the ideal example of a Sparkler looks like and how the variants stack up against it. Here's a box that Bob Block posted years ago.

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-196-0-56631400-1413754195.jpg

And this is what I would consider an exceptional example of a Sparkler - Bill McCaleb posted it years ago . . .

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_09_2009/post-75-125201057786.jpg

• Award 1

Those are spectacular but the likelihood of us running across is rare.  They are for sale almost never and if we happen to  have a shot at them for some magical reason, open the vaults!

I still see 5 distinct colors in the subject marble to make it a good Sparkler, IMHExperience. It is better than many I've seen at shows and on eBay!  I've been trying to find one and not spend a fortune but I want to have a decent example of one!

• Like 1

Like many marbles there are low, medium, and high end Akro Sparklers. They usually run from $50.00 to $150.00 each.  Bills example is one of the very best and he paid $500.00 for it. I passed on it and Bill bought it.  The box set that Bob Block pictured, I owned and Nola owns it's exact brother. Bob found five of these same Sparkler boxes in a jewelry store basement. They were still tied four ways with string just as they were shipped. With the bottom two boxes, the mice had ate holes or much of the boxes gone. Bob sold those marbles one at a time. The third box was emptied and the marbles sold single. The empty box was then sold and that collector was working on refilling it. I bought the fourth box. When Nola saw it she wanted the last one. I contacted Bob again and Nola bought the last box. Three of the boxes were dead mint and so were the marbles.  The original marble is a Akro Sparkler.  Very typical color combo for Akro Sparkler. I have a piece of Akro Sparkler cullet that matches the original marble posted above. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

10 hours ago, Ric said:

5 hours ago, jhomer2172 said:

I’ve not seen a sparkler of the quality of that last one posted being offered for sale in forever. Even what might be considered a common one will bring $50 today, or more! I’d call the original a sparkler so ease up! Shesh! Give em a break!

As usual, I am only expressing my opinions and I am entitled to them. Where you draw your lines, what you call your marbles and how you grade them or value them is entirely up to you. You can call a dinged up Vacor a mint CAC and value it at $1,000.00 if you want, no skin off my back, just don't expect me to do the same. Buy what you like at a price that makes you happy - it's all that really matters.

• Like 1