Vitro Wedding Cake?

Plutonianfire

It is further noted that "Real Wedding Cakes have an off white base, with a colored patch on top and a bright white (icing like) border surrounding the colored patch."

The bright white (icing like) border is hard to see because the marble is a bit worn. However, if you look closely it is there.

Not saying it isn't. Something about the clear-looking area over the sliver of color held me back, but mostly  I don't like to give an ID based on just one side of a potentially uncommon marble.   

More people will be by to give opinions.  :thup: 

Those pictures are helpful.  They're showing why I hesitated to agree with Wedding Cake.  The Wedding Cake is supposed to have the "off white base".   Your marble looks as if it has a clear base glass. 

2 minutes ago, Plutonianfire said:

It’s completely opaque on the base but I can’t get the photos to show it right now.  Until recently, this marble was underground … probably for almost 100 years. 

This picture appears to show a clear base.  Seems quite revealing.   I think the white is layered over the clear.  I does look like Vitro, but not a solid base.  Okay, well, that's all for me.  I gotta call it quits for the night.  

8EB77824-0381-4E13-BEBD-2BA9BDB53D4E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Steph said:

This picture appears to show a clear base.  Seems quite revealing.   I think the white is layered over the clear.  I does look like Vitro, but not a solid base.  Okay, well, that's all for me.  I gotta call it quits for the night.  

8EB77824-0381-4E13-BEBD-2BA9BDB53D4E.jpeg

I’d like to see the base of a bona fide wedding cake marble or at the very least a peer-reviewed reference unequivocally stating that the base of every wedding cake marble is opaque. I doubt very much that anyone can provide this . So, as far as I can tell, participants on this forum just make stuff up on the fly to support whatever position the spirit moves them to take. 

• Confused 1

I can show you opaque base on several color combinations of Vitro Wedding Cake marbles. I live within fifty miles of the old Vitro factory. I knew and was friends with Blaine Lemon and Louie Moore both plant managers. I have studied and researched Vitro and other companies for over twenty five years. Helped with at least eight marble books. I have dug marbles at over a dozen different factory sites, including Vitro. I attend about ten marbles shows per year from Maine to Florida to  Kansas and all between.  You accuse us of making stuff up. WHY how would that benefit us in any way ?  If you want to learn from auction listings that are many times wrong. Then go ahead but don't try to convince me with auctions listings.  I have never and will never depend on any auction listing for any identifications. For me your marble is no Wedding Cake. You may call, label or name your marble anything you like. It can be a Birthday Cake or Christmas fruit Cake by you. It will not affect me in any way whatsoever.  If you know or knew what your marble is ? Why are you here asking  ?  I have wasted to much time with free help that is not appreciated.  Call your marble anything you want. 

• Like 1
  • Award 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Plutonianfire said:

I’d like to see the base of a bona fide wedding cake marble or at the very least a peer-reviewed reference unequivocally stating that the base of every wedding cake marble is opaque. I doubt very much that anyone can provide this . So, as far as I can tell, participants on this forum just make stuff up on the fly to support whatever position the spirit moves them to take. 

Ease up Plutonianfire--please.

Everyone is here to help--including me, that man that is not into names.

Here is a link that has some info on Vitro marbles--including Wedding Cakes.

http://www.gaiser.org/vitro/

Just be nice and----

Marble--On!!

4 hours ago, wvrons said:

I have wasted to much time with free help that is not appreciated. 

Hi Ron I’m sure I speak for everyone on here ,but I appreciate all the help you give and have given over the years ,by ID mibs to making Videos with Stephen ,to explaining differences between similar WVS patterns so not wasted time but time helping many 👍thank you for all that you do for the marble community and collectors 

• Like 2
  • Award 1