Off Set Vitro Seams

Fire1981

To see something so precise in a way and there be so few of them makes me wonder if they were intentionally moving the equipment around, or what.  Was there distance between the orifice and the sheer to cause it to twist that much or was it in a spinner cup for half a turn... I'm curious to know.

19 hours ago, Ric said:

It is a less common color combination but it looks more like a Vitro than anything else to me too.

I agree!

Marble--On!!

13 hours ago, cheese said:

I agree w/Vitro. No name that I know of. An older one, closer to the trilite era. 

I agree!

Marble--on!!

4 hours ago, chicagocyclist said:

To see something so precise in a way and there be so few of them makes me wonder if they were intentionally moving the equipment around, or what.  Was there distance between the orifice and the sheer to cause it to twist that much or was it in a spinner cup for half a turn... I'm curious to know.

Sometimes things may go unexplained with marbles and the way that they were constructed.

I worked on some antique machines making rivets in my younger days. The weather could affect the way that the machines performed.

Adjust,adjust,adjust, then adjust some more. That is why we made the money.

My first reaction to this marble--The OP-- was Vitro.

Just a "gut thing". I want them all to be Akro--but what fun would that be?

Ric and Cheese have the "gut thing" going--mine are just starting to rumble🤢.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akroorka said:

I agree!

Marble--On!!

I agree!

Marble--on!!

Sometimes things may go unexplained with marbles and the way that they were constructed.

I worked on some antique machines making rivets in my younger days. The weather could affect the way that the machines performed.

Adjust,adjust,adjust, then adjust some more. That is why we made the money.

My first reaction to this marble--The OP-- was Vitro.

Just a "gut thing". I want them all to be Akro--but what fun would that be?

Ric and Cheese have the "gut thing" going--mine are just starting to rumble🤢.

Marble--On!!

Yes!  One day, Ron ran down The List of everything that can affect the way a marble is made!  And it was everything, including a clogged exhaust filter on the roof which they didn't know about until they had dumped several batches and thousands of pounds of failed glass until they discovered it.  This one just looked a little bit more specific than a random happenstance.

• Like 1

Not only can the weather play on the effects produce by the marble making setup, but just the equipment itself. The rollers and cutters operate off of a big electric 3-phase motor with belts, gears, and/or chains. All of this stuff turning and making noise, vibrating. "Vibrating".... this is may be one of the more problematic/influential things that makes a marble's appearance change. It turned MK rainbows into MK swirls, and it turned JABO swirls into patches. I was at DAS making marbles and vibration moved the marble machine. The operators noticed it before it caused too much distortion (their job), but if the machine vibrates too far to one side or the other, the ingot can drag the side of the cutter and end up making a patch. The operators took a long bar and pried the machine back in line with the flowing stream of molten glass to keep things working as they should. 

The temperature of the glass in the tank can change the marble. Hotter glass means it flows faster. The machine is set at a certain pace, the hotter glass running faster makes bigger ingots and hence, bigger marbles. If the rollers aren't big enough, it makes orange peel, then out of round marbles, then misshapen discards. If the glass cools too much, it makes smaller marbles, footballs, the orifice plugs up, you get drizzles from workers rodding out the clogged orifice, and cold rolls on the marbles. 

When the cutter goes back and forth, so does the molten glass stream. It sways with the cutter. It's cool to see. Once you see it, you can see how delicate the whole process is and how one small change can affect the way the marble looks. 

All this to say, the smallest shifting of the marble machine due to vibration could cause the ingot to turn 180 degrees and make one seam perpendicular to the other. It might happen 2-3 or more times a month, or a day. The diligence of the worker tending the machine would be the factor here. Something so simple can be the difference. 

• Award 2

6 hours ago, cheese said:

Not only can the weather play on the effects produce by the marble making setup, but just the equipment itself. The rollers and cutters operate off of a big electric 3-phase motor with belts, gears, and/or chains. All of this stuff turning and making noise, vibrating. "Vibrating".... this is may be one of the more problematic/influential things that makes a marble's appearance change. It turned MK rainbows into MK swirls, and it turned JABO swirls into patches. I was at DAS making marbles and vibration moved the marble machine. The operators noticed it before it caused too much distortion (their job), but if the machine vibrates too far to one side or the other, the ingot can drag the side of the cutter and end up making a patch. The operators took a long bar and pried the machine back in line with the flowing stream of molten glass to keep things working as they should. 

The temperature of the glass in the tank can change the marble. Hotter glass means it flows faster. The machine is set at a certain pace, the hotter glass running faster makes bigger ingots and hence, bigger marbles. If the rollers aren't big enough, it makes orange peel, then out of round marbles, then misshapen discards. If the glass cools too much, it makes smaller marbles, footballs, the orifice plugs up, you get drizzles from workers rodding out the clogged orifice, and cold rolls on the marbles. 

When the cutter goes back and forth, so does the molten glass stream. It sways with the cutter. It's cool to see. Once you see it, you can see how delicate the whole process is and how one small change can affect the way the marble looks. 

All this to say, the smallest shifting of the marble machine due to vibration could cause the ingot to turn 180 degrees and make one seam perpendicular to the other. It might happen 2-3 or more times a month, or a day. The diligence of the worker tending the machine would be the factor here. Something so simple can be the difference. 

Great information!

21 hours ago, cheese said:

Great stuff, cheese, I just can't get enough of it!!

21 hours ago, cheese said:

You said it's so well.  The process is so delicate, so many little pieces.  It's actually amazing that it works at all!