Bennington Blue

Plutonianfire

From what I can glean online, the “eyes” result from marbles touching each other in the kiln. I didn’t know that was what I was supposed to be looking for until just now.  Please see additional photos showing 3 eyes at approximately 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock, respectively.

1E6F2A12-3020-4E58-A5CF-7DCB9294C237.jpeg

F1CDE9D2-1C45-4D4A-BF93-691EE5C8A65D.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

AFAIK, Bennington's have eyes because they did not use kiln stands. That's why I suggested it was not a Bennington.

I always thought the Beningtons had spots from the kiln stand ? over 30 years of asking the wrong person, maybe they are "Touch marks" ??  I know I have some others where you can see the material imprint from the asbestos sheet or whatever & no touchmarks. Thanks Ric, always learning  :) This pic has 3 Beningtons, 2 glazed clays and a glazed jasper, I think ?? Going to delete my inferior information, Thanks Again Ric  :thup:

image.thumb.png.ced47bda84d46175521b63da94b1d15f.png

The eyes are where the marbles touched one another when they were bulk loaded into the kiln. As I understand it, the reason the eyes sometimes have spacing that resembles a stand is just because of the way the marbles would stack. Imagine a four marble pyramid, the top marble would wind up with three eyes where it contacted the marbles below it, and this would be a common arrangement in bulk-loaded marbles. But the number and position of the eyes (touch marks) is dependent on where in the batch the marble was, on the top, bottom, middle or outer edge of the batch. (Look at marbles "stacked" in a jar - the eyes on one marble would be found where it was contacted by those surrounding it. There were also different types of stands. The type like you showed and another later type that were more pointed and left smaller marks - like the OP marble IMO.

• Award 1

1 hour ago, Ric said:

The eyes are where the marbles touched one another when they were bulk loaded into the kiln. As I understand it, the reason the eyes sometimes have spacing that resembles a stand is just because of the way the marbles would stack. Imagine a four marble pyramid, the top marble would wind up with three eyes where it contacted the marbles below it, and this would be a common arrangement in bulk-loaded marbles. But the number and position of the eyes (touch marks) is dependent on where in the batch the marble was, on the top, bottom, middle or outer edge of the batch. (Look at marbles "stacked" in a jar - the eyes on one marble would be found where it was contacted by those surrounding it. There were also different types of stands. The type like you showed and another later type that were more pointed and left smaller marks - like the OP marble IMO.

Terrific detailed explanation. So, given three eyes spaced about equally apart on the marble that I found, the eyes are consistent with a Bennington marble stacking on at least one side of a tetrahedral pyramid (it would be four eyes with a square pyramid).

image.gif.17fb98ee19bd8db4dd8e117cffb90952.gif

I do not think the marks on your marble come from marbles contacting one another. They are unlike the eyes you can see on the three Bennington marbles that Chad posted. I do not think your marble comes from a batch-loaded kiln, I think your marble was made using a kiln tripod. That is why I do not think it is a classic Bennington type marble.

42 minutes ago, Ric said:

I do not think the marks on your marble come from marbles contacting one another. They are unlike the eyes you can see on the three Bennington marbles that Chad posted. I do not think your marble comes from a batch-loaded kiln, I think your marble was made using a kiln tripod. That is why I do not think it is a classic Bennington type marble.

The following photo is from a thread further down on this forum.  It was agreed that the marbles, many of which have eyes that look identical to the marble that I found, were Benningtons. 

image.jpeg.e78363feac31c79fab1d826a3cbd13b5.jpeg