Weird Question

Kimbernugs

1 minute ago, Kimbernugs said:

I just saw someone listing it as a HTF matte finish, but you know how that goes.

Well, they are certainly uncommon compared to the shiny ones but I don't think they would fit my definition of HTF.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Agreed Ric, as I recall, this is the color combo that I found them in.

Marble--On!!

I do think that green is most common in that matte finish but I am pretty sure I have others too. I'll dip into the archives and try to post a pic later.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Dave 13 said:

Hi I got a question was the white seen on these made from batch glass ? if so I got a theory on theses and  ones found with chalk 

Are you speaking of "chalkies" Dave?? if so the white residue on those is lie, used as a fire retardant on the floors of all the vintage marble manufacturers. There's a reason there were so many fires "or not" The chalkies were marbles that hit the floor hot off the roller's and landed in the lie, which stuck to them. I would never have known what was on the surface of a chalkie but Ron @wvrons told me a couple years ago, after of course he had me research it to no end. Many things he taught me I'll never forget, I am truly grateful.

• Thanks 1

I read somewhere years ago that Vitro put a matte finish on some of their marbles with an acid dip of some type. I have found lots of them mint in every way expect for the matte finish, so it seems plausible or probably likely to me.

The chalkies from Alley have chalk all the way through the marble. Whatever is in them came through the tank and orifice. If the chalk flows with the stream, it's from the tank. If it doesn't, it's outside contamination. One easy way to tell how it got there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have another question about the matte vs shiny marbles. I posted the one on the right earlier asking what type it was as the bottom white made it fall outside of the tiger eye ID chart I have, but we know Vitro likes to throw in curve balls all the time, so there's that. I have found another marble which sports the same colors, except it doesn't have white at the bottom pole. The colors in both marbles are virtually the same. Both are 1/2", both are on a clear base. The difference is the first one (on the left) is shiny and the 2nd one on the right has a definite matte finish. This just seems to be done on purpose at the time of production. Either way, I'm thinking Tiger Eyes on both just due to the construction of the shiny one. What say you experts?

mattevsshiny.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Are you speaking of "chalkies" Dave?? if so the white residue on those is lie, used as a fire retardant on the floors of all the vintage marble manufacturers. There's a reason there were so many fires "or not" The chalkies were marbles that hit the floor hot off the roller's and landed in the lie, which stuck to them. I would never have known what was on the surface of a chalkie but Ron @wvrons told me a couple years ago, after of course he had me research it to no end. Many things he taught me I'll never forget, I am truly grateful.

Cool Chad thx for that info 👍 I was wondering if the White on the vitro Conquerors are made with batch glass or from cullet , this marble ⬇️ I think has some weak Chalk coming though in the green patch ,one pic you can kinda see , that the white and green connects in the middle of the marble this mib is smooth but the white or chalk of whatever it is feels rough if I pull my finger nail across it 

I will add more pics and thoughts to this thread later 

B60B204F-FC08-4771-97F1-BB42B5C533A0.png

818EB4BE-24AA-48CF-81CF-9E5DA59C4322.png

74DAFD33-041A-4462-BEE2-845A95B8B642.png

A7C31EDB-9868-4BB0-8040-3B5A6DD8C7C6.png

517B9639-700A-44DF-AA2D-B91F27D02486.png

24F9665E-8725-439A-B31A-57A5A989ED47.png