Mostly Pix - Alley

Steph

On 10/18/2015 at 8:08 PM, Steph said:

That one on the left is a special style to me. Is it named?

No name that I know of, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ric624.jpg.c14a4181dff149e06528c35da9ad40ba.jpg

Edited by Ric
Fixed photo link

I think about a pattern well defined, intersecting lines, which resemble fine handwriting. How busy the pattern gets is dependent on the number and length of the lines. I think there almost has to be significant wiggle room in the definition. How would you define it . . . an average of seven lines intersecting no fewer than four times per cubic centimeter over at least 60% of the marble's surface? lol

Oh, I did, never fear. ;)

But I admit it gave me pause to go from thinking of myself as a person who had 3 Jolly Green Giants to a person who "only" had 2. I think it helped when one zaboo was selling went past my "reasonable/possible" marble money point, and I had to accept that I was NOT going to be able to think of myself as a person who had 4 . . .

After all, "Oh well, what do I need with four" is not that far from "what do I need with three."

My two remaining ones will be buried with me under my pyramid.

• Haha 1

Oh, I did, never fear. ;)

But I admit it gave me pause to go from thinking of myself as a person who had 3 Jolly Green Giants to a person who "only" had 2. I think it helped when one zaboo was selling went past my "reasonable/possible" marble money point, and I had to accept that I was NOT going to be able to think of myself as a person who had 4 . . .

After all, "Oh well, what do I need with four" is not that far from "what do I need with three."

My two remaining ones will be buried with me under my pyramid.

A good, strategic move, I think. Sometimes these moves must be made to add something one didn't even have. That is the first rule, the second is hoard what you like, and third, and keep the ones you want near the bottom of your pyramid! :)

• Haha 1

The center one is the only one I can think of as a calligraphy marble.

I won't say a calligraphy marble absolutely has to be opaque because I have two that have translucent bases and the white or light ribbons that are on the surface look like they could have been produced with a calligraphy pen. Very little to none of them are visible in the translucent base -- it's thick enough to cause that effect. Sort of like the one on the right, But to me the one on the right is not a calligraphy marble . . . "just" a nice very squiggly one.

The one on the left below I'd call a wirepull or wirepull's cousin (too much visible in 3D).

Jus' sayin.'

Ric622_zpsfhzqeyld.jpg

I get your point, Ann, especially on these particular examples. But imagine taking your favorite calligraphy and turning the base clear. I just don't see how changing the base glass changes the pattern from a calligraphy type to something else, especially if the striping patterns are correct for a calligraphy. If we say they have to have an opaque base we narrow the definition from what I think it originally described - a pattern, not a color (or lack of color) combination, and I'm a lumper, not a splitter. lol

I get your point, Ann, especially on these particular examples. But imagine taking your favorite calligraphy and turning the base clear. I just don't see how changing the base glass changes the pattern from a calligraphy type to something else, especially if the striping patterns are correct for a calligraphy. If we say they have to have an opaque base we narrow the definition from what I think it originally described - a pattern, not a color (or lack of color) combination, and I'm a lumper, not a splitter. lol

Ha! I'm a lumper too, generally! Great reference! :D John

Smartass idea: changing the baseglass changes it from a calligraphy to a scribble. :P

Devil's advocate idea: changing the baseglass on a wirepull from clear to solid makes it not a wirepull anymore.

Not a bad idea, Steph, but I think the wire-pull definition needs to be more specific out of necessity. If the base on a wirepull wasn't clear you couldn't see the 'wire' pattern.

Here's a transluscent peewee - just because this is . . . 'Mostly Pix'.

Ric628.jpg.128fdb0076e4f0c031ef0078aa7f11b1.jpg

Edited by Ric
Fixed photo link