Mostly Pix - Alley

Steph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted this on another board after having it for some time; I was on the fence but thought that Ravenswood or Alley was a possibility. I scoured the archives on   I went with Alley....but I guess I will remove my post later today if we think it isn't. I don't like to see a marble in the wrong place...adds to confusion, with which some marbles is a common occurrence.

I prefer to be very cautious with IDs. I have seen too many people call "definite" IDs on marbles based on a couple of photos and very little knowledge about other possibilities or variations that are out there. And I know from experience that the first tests returned are often the lowest scores in the class, usually because the student thinks they know far more than they actually do. Don't get me wrong here, that marble might be Alley, but I am not confident enough to go there "for sure", and I have seen Ravenswoods with similar patterns. Having said that, if there is a green tint in the base running along the red (first pic?) I would probably lean Alley too.

I also have not seen a Sistersville Alley like the one you posted. What do you know about that one?

I prefer to be cautious too and agree with you.  I went with it based on my thinking that perhaps I just haven't yet seen the type, or don't recall seeing it. I respect the opinion of the mibologist that provided this ID.  Do we think I might just as well pull the image off this thread? john

Whether or not you pull that pic off is entirely up to you. If you trust the ID, leave it. Anyone coming here should understand that IDing marbles is as much art as science. I am actually more interested in that Sistersville.

And since I feel sort of bad about so much talk in a "Mostly Pics" thread, here is a Sistersville Alley - dug at the site.

Ric664AS.jpg.522000610737af653b5e7e18c56d02ac.jpg

Edited by Ric
Fixed photo link

John, you could leave it anyway to provide contrast whatever it turns out to be.   

Once upon a time I started to collect links for things like "Akro versus Master" and "Ravenswood versus Alley".  

I kinda sorta vaguely remember enlisting Cheese on a related project.  Not sure if I'm remembering the right topic (need to to look that up).  But it wouldn't hurt to have a "we interrupt the regularly scheduled Alleys with a comparison to Ravenswood" photo. :)

Found it :thup: ... except Cheese's pictures disappeared  ... would be awesomeness if we could reconstruct it and add.   

Our attachments work nicely now -- they come through full size since the update.  So we could store the pix permanently here and not worry about photobucket links.

I'll try to fix that Steph.  I moved some photos around into different folders and it messed up the links. Many pics are missing of mine in that thread and others. Regarding your alley/ravenswood John, I saw Ron ID it as Alley and I respect his analysis of the marble much more than my own, and alleys can look a lot like ravenswoods and visa-versa. I don't think anyone would be able to 100% prove it's an alley or ravenswood and not the other.

I don't know if John posted a sistersville that looks like that but the one I posted d.oes somewhat.. is that the one you're talking about?  A few of us thought it was Alley and Ron agreed it was a "possible Sistersville Alley".  No-one offered an ID other than Alley and Alley was waht I originally thought before asking others for their opinions, so I went with it.