Steph

Mostly Pix - Peltier

Nova types

Novatypespic2_zps649b177f.jpg

Novatypespic1_zpsf382dc9c.jpg

Novatypespic3_zpse34d5808.jpg

These were in the safe at Peltier. The smaller blue on white marbles were not Nova type marbles, but they were all kept together, and likely made at the same time.

Kewl!

p.s., everyone, they can be magnified if you follow the link to photobucket

Thanks for all the nice bumps.

I did a newspaper search to try to find a date for the Weather Bird promotions but haven't yet.

also, thanks for posting the 7-Up photo. I do not have one, as Steph asked a couple days ago about one of mine in a group photo.

"Mib" mean "marble".

Some say it's Latin for "marble". I don't know if that's true. It goes back a long time though.

Thanks for all the nice bumps.

I did a newspaper search to try to find a date for the Weather Bird promotions but haven't yet.

Here is something I just located about the weatherbird box and logo. Makes me wonder just how old those rainbos are.

"The Peter’s Shoes Company, with headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, used the Weather Bird logo from 1907 to 1932. The company issued a wide range of promotional items ranging from comic books to postcards to whistles.

Researching this question brought back a flood of childhood memories. My mother favored Buster Brown shoes, manufactured by the Brown Shoe Company who licensed the use of Richard Outcault’s Buster Brown cartoon character in 1904. Before a sale was concluded, children were asked to step up to the shoe-fitting fluoroscope machine which produced an x-ray image of your feet showing how your feet fit within the shoes. The fluoroscope was a sales gimmick. The fit of a shoe depends on flesh size, something the machine could not measure nor demonstrate. Once a sale was concluded, it was premium time. Encountering a Buster Brown shoe premium in my travels always brings a smile to my face.

According to one source, The Peltier Marble Company made the Weather Bird, rainbow marble premium. Another source indicated the boxes contained Akro corkscrew marbles. It is possible Weather Bird Shoes contracted with more than one company. Equally probable is that a dealer switched the marble type to create a rarity that never existed historically."

Taken from this site: http://www.harryrinker.com/col-1359.html

I forgot to post the 1938 article I found a little while ago. When you posted the box on FB, I knew the 1932 seemed too restrictive. Or are these later versions of the logo not as close to the one on the box as I think?

Here's a 1938 ad which mentions marbles and has a little birdie.

post-279-0-75243200-1425969847_thumb.jpg

And here's a similar-looking bird from 1955. A bit different.

post-279-0-22222400-1425969935_thumb.jpg

I have a Weather Bird yoyo. No idea of a date -- I'll have to compare it chicken to chicken with these!