Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the cross-over periods for Vitro Cats? 

The plump (I think of them as 'orchid' like) vane type seem to have come in around 1954.

I believe the 'finger type' arrived in 1958  - both types were so;d in the packs with a white header and blue text, just as both the blackline all-reds and non-blackline were sold in the white header red-text bags at about the same period.

I get the impression from blurry ebay photos that both the fingers and the plump vane were sold concurrently into the 60's (red header Vitro bags) but I don't know how long both styles lasted.

I've only seen pictures of the full cage style in Gladding-Vitro bags (70 onwards?) but did they come in any earlier?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the same general impression that you are forming.  

I don't know how to narrow it down.  Once started to collect pictures of all sorts of bag headers to try but that project got beached. 

 

I think that this is a very early Cat Eye ad.  Migbar posted it.  Maybe he can confirm.  (Edit: for now I'll estimate 1955 for this ad.)

img072_zpsxw3u4ag6.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

P.s., while I'm in the neighborhood, here is another ad Mike posted in the Mostly Pix thread which we don't have in this thread yet.  I might be able to find the date for the ad on my own, maybe in the Vitro book, but would welcome anyone jumping in with that.  (Offhand I'll estimate 1953 to 1955 for the ad until I look it up.)

 

img071_zpsrgemnjpr.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steph said:

P.s., while I'm in the neighborhood, here is another ad Mike posted in the Mostly Pix thread which we don't have in this thread yet.  I might be able to find the date for the ad on my own, maybe in the Vitro book, but would welcome anyone jumping in with that.  (Offhand I'll estimate 1953 to 1955 for the ad until I look it up.)

 

 

I think you're right - I'd go with 1954ish from the packaging, but I've only just started to try and figure out the packaging dates. What's this Vitro book?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vitro-Agate Company, The Marble Museum's Guide to the Glass-Agate Company, 2005, by Chris Cooper and Michael Johnson

Very limited run.   My copy says "14 of 500" but I think that maybe only 200 were produced after all.  

 

I have just remembered where I put mine ... so let me check for dates on those ads.  

 

On p. 31, I see 1954 for the last ad there, with the bags and boxes. 

I don't see the cat eye ad, but it's gotta be near that time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steph said:

The Vitro-Agate Company, The Marble Museum's Guide to the Glass-Agate Company, 2005, by Chris Cooper and Michael Johnson

Very limited run.   My copy says "14 of 500" but I think that maybe only 200 were produced after all.  

 

I have just remembered where I put mine ... so let me check for dates on those ads.  

 

On p. 31, I see 1954 for the last ad there, with the bags and boxes. 

I don't see the cat eye ad, but it's gotta be near that time.  

Thanks - sounds like my chance of tracking down a copy are beyond slim!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, maybe not beyond slim.  But certainly slim.  I finally snagged a copy last year, 10 years after it was published.  2 copies (I think) were mentioned on this board as being for sale and one minute later none were available again.  Didn't know I could move my fingers so fast. 

:Panic:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ann said:

Well, maybe not beyond slim.  But certainly slim.  I finally snagged a copy last year, 10 years after it was published.  2 copies (I think) were mentioned on this board as being for sale and one minute later none were available again.  Didn't know I could move my fingers so fast. 

:Panic:

I shall keep my eyes open and my fingers ready :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 years later...

:thup:  

Odd that this first date is at the end of WWII.  .... So was it wartime which reduced the exports or was it other companies starting up after the war and deciding marbles was a good business to get into?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 12:53 PM, Berryb said:

Any way of restoring the  photos in this article?

Bruce


Okay ... I've fixed some.  Sadly, two of the pictures were from Mike Barton's photobucket.  Reconstructing that will be more challenging.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...