Jabo's Vs Champion Furnace

greg11

Guest FeelingMarbleous

Alan ive noticed the ones with the most fractures are the brown types, the yellow and red ones are pretty free of fractures but they are also more common........

and for the record, IMHO Furnace mibs are my favorite and i reserve that right :D

Guest FeelingMarbleous

Does anyone know the Ratio on these White Furnace mibs ? i haven't seen many of them on the net or on the bay, and was just wondering if anyone had any or how common they are ? for the record this one is fracture free maybe because of the glass mixture on this one ?

WhiteFurnaceframed1.jpgWhiteFurnaceframed2.jpg

WhiteFurnaceframed3.jpgWhiteFurnaceframed.jpg

FWIW No jabo i have seen yet compares to Furnace mibs JMHO

Guest FeelingMarbleous

Same here Lou, some people ask me how to tell if it's a furnace mib and i really can't explain just that you will know one when in hand and when you see it, kind of like Oxblood, until you actually have one in hand you don't truly know what real Ox is...

What is the process in which furnace marbles are created? Forgive my ignorance but I would really like to know. They sure are beautiful but I am not sure if I could tell them in hand or not. I have pictures of some redish oranges ones that resembles the color of flame but I had no idea that they made them in different colors. Could someone give me the scoop on furnace marbles?

I still think some of the most recent jabo run look uncannily close to furnace swirls.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them ending up in wissmach-centric collections someday, unless at 3/4" give or take they're too large to confuse with champs. ??

Greg, I was thinking about a version of your question last night as I continued sorting my Last Dances. As I looked at the really unusual ones, I felt I had been almost "wrong" for having been excited by the most vintage looking ones. As I went back and forth between the more furnace-y ones and the more luminescent, richly hued ones -- especially the purple and lutz combo on the translucent red-orange base -- I couldn't decide whether I'd like to have future runs try to capture a more vintage look or keep playing with unconventional glass types. When the new combos click just right, wow. And when they capture the vintage look, whether in vintage colors or new ... wow.

The "wrong" feeling was accompanied by thoughts of John Denver. icon4.gif-- because of an interview he did later in life. He seemed to resent his fans who didn't seem to want to hear his new music. He was a creative person who kept expressing himself in music as he always had but fans mainly wanted to hear songs from the 70's. I was one of the fans who hadn't given his newer music a chance.

I don't think I've seen enough variety of the new runs to really judge...

But, as much as some are really beautiful, I've still gotta lean with the Champs...

There's just such a unique movement to the swirls in Champions and that blending of the orange / pink / red's.... It's tough to beat...

I think the "unique movement" is part of what I'm talking about Sue, when I compare the last dances to the furnace swirls. Some of mine match it dead on.

That movement is what is going to make some of the new ones go into Wissmach collections if folks aren't careful to keep them separate and especially to learn the color combos.

Take this Champ of Randy's again:

Champ_Randy_mc10327.jpg

I need to get my camera back online or watch the Jabo auctions on ebay for some good photos which might capture what I see in mine but this pic of Windy's gives an idea of how close the motion can be. Some of mine are even better than this. Tighter. with super hooks.

th_Charleston_Windy_mc10177.jpg

and yeah, some with annealing fractures. :glare: (oh well -- i'll deal with it!)

Guest FeelingMarbleous

Thanks for posting those Burt, i didn't make it home on time to bid on those ones you had up for auction, anyways Jabo's do not look like furnaces imho, no matter how many you think do they don't buy a few and you'll see ;)

I will say they look very very WV tho, BUT NOT FURNACE LIKE !

Thanks for posting those Burt, i didn't make it home on time to bid on those ones you had up for auction, anyways Jabo's do not look like furnaces imho, no matter how many you think do they don't buy a few and you'll see ;)

I will say they look very very WV tho, BUT NOT FURNACE LIKE !

LOL, yes some do!

And not just like Randy's. But that's the one which made me do a double take and realize I could slip some into a furnace photo and maybe not be called on it. LOL

Well, back to Jaboland .....

I can see what you mean, Steph... Of the many designs out there, these may be about as close as it gets... But, I still have to question if it's close enough to be confused. I'm sure there are probably individuals that cross over. I wish I could describe the difference that I see, but it's tough to do.

And then, there is that question of size... That may be the no-question defining key.

Guest FeelingMarbleous

Size doesn't matter :icon_lmao: ok ok ill stop

anyways Sue, one should actually own a Furnace mib and have one side by side to compare before making assumptions like that, but hey to each there own, i may even have some over that look like Stephs Jabo's "Furnace" mibs that would fool everyone into thinking it was the look alike that looks like the jabos that look like them :rol:

Kevin...... You do know how long I've been collecting marbles, right??

That is one good point, Sue.

The next good point is that Kevin is being rude and presumptuous and did I mention rude?

And here's one which might also be considered a good point, though I shouldn't have to say it, since there is more than one way to acquire knowledge -- I own furnace mibs.

I am sooooooooooooooo tired of the attitudes of the people who seem to expect a notarized affidavit of how many marbles I own before they will accord me as much respect as, say, what Kevin expected in his 2nd week of collecting marbles.

And now for someone so new to jump on that bandwagon ... that bandwagon with the broken axle which allows people to make false assumptions about me and use their assumptions to justify jerky behavior ....

Excuse me ... I need to go vent quietly in another room .....

I can see what you mean, Steph... Of the many designs out there, these may be about as close as it gets... But, I still have to question if it's close enough to be confused. I'm sure there are probably individuals that cross over. I wish I could describe the difference that I see, but it's tough to do.

And then, there is that question of size... That may be the no-question defining key.

I now realize size is not an option (edit: obstacle). That was staring in my face but I didn't notice. I think Randy's is a larger one, by the way. He posted it in a group shot as well as the individual pix.

And yeah, I was mostly referring to the individuals which crossover, with some of the Jabo families having a higher likelihood of such individuals than other families.

Some colors are closer too than the Charleston, but those don't get as many pix taken. The cold rolly and other error Jabos don't get as many pix either. That's where some of the nearer matches are going to be found. So I'd have to pull the nearer matches from my cache and then take care of that pesky camera problem.

Guest FeelingMarbleous
Kevin...... You do know how long I've been collecting marbles, right??

Why does this matter ? i know people who been collecting 30 years and still dont know the difference between Alley and Champion, and that wasn't directed towards you, and aren't you a HANDMADE collector? if you want to think Jabo's look like furnace mibs go ahead doesn't hurt me none, but don't sit and act like im being rude or a jerk for saying they don't and just because you say something means nothing either, i can sit over and say im holding a golden rebel doesn't make it a fact, nor does it make it a fact that i say they don't so.........

It'll be interesting to see if people list some of the "The Dance" Jabos as Furnace

Champs here in the next year or so. It'll just take a good EYE and some marble

sense to figure out which one is which. It'll come down to the same 'ol thing.

Is it Jabo glass and colors.....or Champs. Size will matter. I don't think

I'll mistake a Champ Old Fashion or Furnace mib for a Jabo. Not if they are

side by side and in hand.

RAR