Jabo Tribute To Friendship Pics - Oxblood Flame

I love that blue aventurine and the oxblood flame. Wish I had time to sort my marbles. I'll be anticipating that the whole week we're traveling again. Sure hope I have some like those. How can anyone say they're not pretty. Good luck on your sales. Edna

They sure are pretty, shame most wont survive long, I have 10 of the new Jabo's, 7 of them are fractured now, I'm wondering on the refund policy?

The one with the gold aventrine on the surface will certainly fail in time, gold on the surface will become dull and in time may start to flake off, trust me, I've played with glass long enough to know what works and what doesnt.

At first my thoughts of these runs was optomistic, I thought maybe there would be some real winners when the color combos etc. found the compatibility, shame the hard facts are that the colors used in most cases will fail, at this point my thoughts are no longer optomistic, I patiently wait the backlash as more and more people find their $40 Jabo popped in half, in my opinion, even a $10 loss is enough to open the eyes of the masses.

I praise some of the makers for their efforts, unfortunately I cant support the new marbles as they have proven without a doubt that compatibility is going to be an ongoing issue, I once would say "I feel for your loss" at this point all I can say is... shame they didnt test the compatibility before producing and selling the faulty merchandise and shame the buyers were blinded by beauty.

All that hype and look what is happening to the marbles.

Glass is a mysterious and wonderful thing, used carefuly it can produce items of beauty that will last millions of years, used carelessly and you have nothing but junk that will only last long enough for the makers to gain a hefty profit.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK! is what most of the buyers should be screamimg.

I wonder if Jabo was wise enough to have the "investors" sign a waiver holding Jabo harmless in the event the product fails?

This could be history making after all, a lawsuit over bad product... OK pretty looking bad product.

Just my 2 cents, take it as you wish.

Yes, blue aventurine was used during the run. It's really nice in those red, white and blue marbles. The second to last marble in these photos is a 5/8", not 3/4" like most. It's got the pink champagne base glass with oxblood, green and blue aventurine. Here are more views.

i77.jpgi78.jpg

i79.jpgi80.jpg

They sure are pretty, shame most wont survive long, I have 10 of the new Jabo's, 7 of them are fractured now, I'm wondering on the refund policy?

The one with the gold aventrine on the surface will certainly fail in time, gold on the surface will become dull and in time may start to flake off, trust me, I've played with glass long enough to know what works and what doesnt.

At first my thoughts of these runs was optomistic, I thought maybe there would be some real winners when the color combos etc. found the compatibility, shame the hard facts are that the colors used in most cases will fail, at this point my thoughts are no longer optomistic, I patiently wait the backlash as more and more people find their $40 Jabo popped in half, in my opinion, even a $10 loss is enough to open the eyes of the masses.

I praise some of the makers for their efforts, unfortunately I cant support the new marbles as they have proven without a doubt that compatibility is going to be an ongoing issue, I once would say "I feel for your loss" at this point all I can say is... shame they didnt test the compatibility before producing and selling the faulty merchandise and shame the buyers were blinded by beauty.

Glass is a mysterious and wonderful thing, used carefuly it can produce items of beauty that will last millions of years, used carelessly and you have nothing but junk that will only last long enough for the makers to gain a hefty profit.

I wonder if Jabo was wise enough to have the "investors" sign a waiver holding Jabo harmless in the event the product fails?

This could be history making after all, a lawsuit over bad product... OK pretty looking bad product.

harsh at best.........

OMG such a whinner. I have had marbles for years and yes they crack . Some of my best ones are Junk now but I keeping them of a reminder they were once nice. There a saying...SOME GAVE ALL. SOME WANT IT ALL.. AND SOME GET NOTHING. BUT what they got coming to them.The marbles are very very niccccccccceeeeeeee I love em.You all did a wonderful Job on the run. :Happy_050:

i have to agree with the statement that the people involved did a great job of keeping the marble making dream alive, making really nice looking marbles, and overall just having a couple great days. instead of whining maybe just keep quiet. it's ok to talk about glass and how it cooperates with other glass but calling out the people on the run and maybe even accusing them of making poor quality stuff was wrong. i can assure you they did their best. alot of minds were there and maybe something got missed i dont know but i can say that if i had some of those marbles and they busted well i would just have busted marbles. i know alot of work went into them and well maybe oldmarblenut should go back to lurking on the board instead of posting.

I don't recall whinning about anything, I think you must have read something else entirely or are a bit confused about the subject at hand.

I've noticed over the last couple months people talking about some of their new Jabos begining to fracture, most common are Aces and ones containing large amounts of gold aventurine. As a profesional glass worker I felt a need to bring this subject into light as most people do not understand what was happening to some of the marbles they purchsed recently and as some of the Jabos I have are now broken, not broken from play or misuse but broken due to compatability issues and or annealing problems.

I really don't care how you spend your money, buy beachfront property in Arizona if you like, but if that land never becomes a beach, don't be surprized you just got screwed for your investment.

I'm not saying all the new Jabos are going to fail, all I am saying is the harsh facts, some will fail and the reasons behind it.

Now lets throw a spin at this..... Imagine Goodyear making faulty tires, do you think the dealers would just ignore the warnings and sell them anyway? of course not, they would quickly and openly admit they had a problem and remove the product from market as well as replace the faulty tires already sold, even if they had a few miles on them.

But, then again we are not talking about tires, we are talking about little glass balls, ones we spend our hard earned dollars for.

I know one thing most of you will not argue, spending $10 for something that is broken is just not acceptable, if in your case it is acceptable, you must be the fool with the money that our parents told us to stay away from.

Peace!

oldmarblenut's dark warnings are now clearly registered in our minds. I have lots of the Jabo Jokers, Marleys, and Tribute To Friendship marbles. Though many fracture during the first day or two, my experience has been that very few, if any, have fractured after that. However, if I ever hear that any I have sent to others have fractured, I will gladly replace them. I am sure I express the sentiments of many others as well. I hope we can get on with buying, selling, collecting, and enjoying them.

I have friends who gladly promote them and friends who don't. They are just marbles. The comments of a "professional glass worker" are appreciated. We will keep our eyes open. I appreciate being part of this short lived adventure. Soon it will all be over, so I will enjoy it while it lasts.

Burt

BEWARE OF EXPLODING MARBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

expmarbles2.jpg

It's a great video game, folks....but you shouldn't lose sleep over your Jabo's spontaneously disintegrating. B)

Bob

I am starting to get worried about exploding Jabo marbles now! I purchased about 300,000 of them in the early 90's and have moved them twice to a different State and now they are stored in my basement. I have heard loud popping sounds coming from my basement but thought it but thought it was the electronic air cleaner on my furnace working. Do you think that all 300K of marbles might explode simultaneously and blow my house up? I now no longer let the cat in the basement to use the litter box due to cat safety concerns and have forbidden anyone from using the washing machine. The other day, before I knew about the exploding Jabo's, I opened a case of 2,200 5/8" ones to wash and sort and noticed that there were two or three broken ones in the bottom of the case. I feel used and cheated. I feel that this situation is a ticking time bomb. What if terrorists get some Jabo marbles? Think of the havoc they might inflict on all of us.

Thanks for the warning.

I'm not sure how long the marbles will remain intact, but I do know that there is a very high percent of damaged marbles. You can "pretty" them up and make them sparkle, but in the end, they're still jabos. Not to be played with...

I don't think what you are saying is wrong...and I applaud your speaking out. But there's a strong fan club for these jabos and unfortunately, you will get blasted for saying what you think. so much for "friendship".

I really like the new Jabos and my son is downright CRAZY about them, so we have many. I don't know much about glass, but I do like to learn, and I find it sad that any serious or critical discussion of these marbles is near impossible. I think that oldmarblenut's initial message may have been a bit alarmist, and could probably have been worded better, but I think his premise is not unreasonable. With all of the great color and additive combos that have been produced, it seems reasonable that COE might be a concern. And I am sort of surprised that nobody involved in the production of these marbles has yet addressed his point. It's seems pretty simple to me . . . Was any testing done, or was COE considered when purchasing or combining the glass for these marbles? No dissing, no accusations, no alarm - just a question. -Ric

"Rumor has it " that David McCullough is a reasonable person, who for 30 years has tested compatiblity. I have been told that he even tested all the glasses and fritts for the experimental runs of 2008. However, I have a grave concern. I had to replace so many exploded experimentals from 2008 that it has almost ruined me and I have been forced to sell my Lear Jet and fire my chauffer...dire times.

Steve, Why all the buisiness, instead of just the answer? Of course, I know Dave has vast experience and is a heck-of-a marble guy, and I assume he's thought about these issues. But given all the different glass and materials used in the runs, I simply wondered if he had prior experience with these glasses and materials, or whether they were tested prior to their use. A simple, honest and serious question. And what I get in return is a whole bunch of . . . . with an answer buried somewhere in it - I think. -Ric