What Would You Call This Marble? Strange Antique Handmade!

Hi there everyone, I just got this marble today and I have no idea what to call it...I think some kind of Submarine. Let me describe it: the size is 1-1/4", it has a clear glass core with thin blue lines on it with a few spaces in between them. Then above this layer (but under the surface) bright yellow/white/orange lines. Then there is another layer on the surface (like an Indian swirl) with lines of bright orange, bright red, rust-red, white and yellow. So there's 3 layers of decoration. The contrast between the dark blue and bright colored lines is amazing. Here are some pics:

917e_12.JPG

9747_12.JPG

8fa5_12.JPG

I'm looking forward to hearing your reactions!

Id go with josephs coat.I dont think I would apply the "submarine" term to it.

Many onionskins,and josephs coats have color "inside" the marble.You just dont get to see it,unless there is a clear panel.

It's certainly not a standard JC, this one has bands on the surface, I've never seen a JC that has surface bands and decoration in 3 different layers.

Hi there everyone, I just got this marble today and I have no idea what to call it...I think some kind of Submarine. Let me describe it: the size is 1-1/4", it has a clear glass core with thin blue lines on it with a few spaces in between them. Then above this layer (but under the surface) bright yellow/white/orange lines. Then there is another layer on the surface (like an Indian swirl) with lines of bright orange, bright red, rust-red, white and yellow. So there's 3 layers of decoration. The contrast between the dark blue and bright colored lines is amazing. Here are some pics:

A clear base which looks colored because of the blue lines? Could that be a mist?

Or perhaps what Baumann calls a "Colored-Glass Overlay"?

Edit: "Clear Overlay".

Anyway, he calls them "Indian"-style marbles. The clear overlay is the one with a clear base. The colored-glass overlay has light- or medium-colored base. And after that come the maglites.

What Baumann calls submarines have white strands just below the surface, usually in a blue or green base.

p.s. Here's what Hansel said in a submarine thread:

in addition, submarines *always* have faceted pontils. Indians, banded opaques, joseph coats, lutzes, almost never.

Hansel

It's certainly not a standard JC, this one has bands on the surface, I've never seen a JC that has surface bands and decoration in 3 different layers.

Hi J.

Youre right, it's not a JC. What it is, I don't know, but it is a beauty.

C.

Hey J, I do not think this is a submarine or a Joseph coat. I think it is a type of mist and Indian hybrid. The surface looks like it has ridges between the colors running from pole to pole, is this true? This marble looks like it might be a dug reject because of the surface. Sure is a pretty marble though. -Jim

Hey J, I do not think this is a submarine or a Joseph coat. I think it is a type of mist and Indian hybrid. The surface looks like it has ridges between the colors running from pole to pole, is this true? This marble looks like it might be a dug reject because of the surface. Sure is a pretty marble though. -Jim

I'm sure it's not a dug marble, it has a finely ground pontil (which dug marbles never have) and wear of being played with. It doesn't have real ridges on the surface, it might just look like that on the photo's.

I would call it a Blue Glass Indian with English colors. I have seen very few like this only in the 1/2 to 5/8 in. size. Great looking marble.

I'm with Ben... It looks to me as if the base color is the cobalt... I can understand the use of submarine, because it obviously has what looks to be white, subbed under the blue... Thing is... If it was a clear base, it wouldn't be noticed as much... So, does that qualify for a Submarine?? I don't think I've ever been totally sure about the correct submarine definition, but I can understand why the term would be thrown around here, correct, or not....

If it's leaning toward an Indian or Banded Opague definition (except it's obviously not opague...) Does the "Mag Light" term come in??

Damn, J... It IS gorgous!!!! :D

Ooops, I see it now... my bad!! LOL I scanned it too fast.... :blush:

In that case, I think I would call it an English Joseph's Coat..... It has some features that are not common to a Joseph's Coat.... But, it looks like it does meet most, if not all, of the requirements for a JC.... (How many colors does it have?)

'Seems like the closest "name" for the sake of naming it...

'Sorry Sami... (And Running Rabbit) I don't see how there's ANYTHING Indian about it....

Maybe "Banded Transparent??"

I mean... The #1 primary ID of an Indian is black based glass.... At least, that's how it started...

Maybe that's changed along with so many other things.....

Kids these days...... :Sad_headshake_tweetz: LOL

Is that a pic of the finely ground pontil or is it on the other pole? Bright "English" colors, probably close to "end of cane" (you know where the layers and construction can get a bit unpredictable). Super looking marble, but I think it's one of those odd-balls that don't quite fit in a specific category