Opaque Cloud

Here's the info on it.

RARE GERMAN HANDMADE TRANSLUCENT CLOWN

SIMILAR TO THOSE FOUND ON pg. 35-36 "Marble Mania" by Block

THE BASE IS TRANSLUCENT AS SHOWN IN THE FIRST PIC. THERE ARE A MYRIAD OF COLOURED FLECKS THAT ARE SPREAD SPORADICALLY AROUND THE MARBLE. WHAT A FEAST FOR THE EYES!!

SINGLE PUNTY SINGLE PONTIL.

THIS MARBLE MICS AT .70 INCHES/17.8 mm.

I'll try to get a pic of the pontil as soon as I can.

carole

Sellers response to the question of Czech.

Hi Carole

I purchased it from a German marble seller in Germany along with a couple others. These are from Thurenberg (sp). There were a few others that the seller had also. Most of them were purchased by some high end buyers. I'm pretty sure it isn't Czech although it is a later made marble than the early glass ones.

carole

condition: mint-

FYI on Carole's marble.

This one isn't a Czech although it does resemble one. Not only did I ask question of the dealer, I also did research on it prior to listing it.

This marble was purchased from a reputable German dealer that lives there.

This is was she had in her ad: made in Haselbach(wernershut) near to Lauscha around 1930/40

Pat

I'd have to agree with Sami, I see the seam that he mentioned. I've had three Czech Guineas before and this looks just like them. It is most evident in your second picture (runs from about 7 o'clock to one o'clock) and in the third picture it is at the equator. In both pics you can see on the edges where the seam goes around the marble that it bumps out just slightly. I think these are gorgeous marbles and I wish I'd kept at least one of mine.

FWIW, I think many of the "Czech" guineas are actually of German origin. My shooter was from germany, and it was from a seller that does a lt of digging at the old glass sites there.

And IMHO, the marble at the start of this thread is a so-called 'bullet mold" type. (I dislike that term myself)

I would have thought the bullet mold marbles would be considered handmade. At least if the mold were operate by hand. True bullet molds (as in lead bullets) could be operated manually. Were marble molds not?

In the 1880's to perhaps the 1920's, it was SAID that sulphides were made in two halves. I've been uncertain about whether that was an accurate report. Here's A. W. Roberts' version from 1883. I think this might have been the source material for articles which appeared in newspapers for years afterward. There was much recycling of filler stories at that time.

Some contain figures of animals and birds, and are known as "glass figure marbles." These are pressed in polished metal moulds the parts of which fit so closely together that not the slightest trace of them is to be seen on the alleys, which is not the case with most of the pressed china alleys, for if one looks over a number of them sharply he will detect a small ridge encircling some of them.

I would have thought the bullet mold marbles would be considered handmade. At least if the mold were operate by hand. True bullet molds (as in lead bullets) could be operated manually. Were marble molds not?

In the 1880's to perhaps the 1920's, it was SAID that sulphides were made in two halves. I've been uncertain about whether that was an accurate report. Here's A. W. Roberts' version from 1883. I think this might have been the source material for articles which appeared in newspapers for years afterward. There was much recycling of filler stories at that time.

Cant see any similarity between this marble and sulphides. Maybe someone mis-interpreted the reports? With sulphides, the sulphide figure is made in a mould, then put in the marble which is hand made.

It wouldn't be the first mistake ever published. I had mostly trusted the report, but thought it was outdated. Baumann mentions different ways to make sulphides, with one being similar to what Roberts describes, though not quite the same.

However, I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. My real question was about whether or not marble molds were ever operated by hand. I hadn't even guessed that making bullet mold marbles might be what would be called a machine process, so Sami's answer surprised me.