Cosmic Rainbows

marboman

The cage style cats were around for quite a while, already made by Gladding in the 1970's. The horseshoe may have been Anacortes only, as I've not seen them prior to that time.

The Cosmic Rainbows may have been a bit earlier in 1988-89, prior to the move, and only made for a short time. The Anacortes bags don't seem to have any.

I made inquiries. :-) A couple of people contributed to the verdict, which is that Cosmic Rainbows are not Gladding Vitro, and thus were not made between 1969 and 1982, nor before 1969.

Paris Mfg bought Gladding Vitro in 1982, and changed the name back to Vitro Agate. According to AMMM, Paris made mibs from 1982 to 1985. So, how about an estimate of 24 to 27 years?

I was wondering what would have been the largest size made in the cosmic rainbow style?.The shooter I have used in the post picture is a 7/8" tri-lite,it was not original to the cosmic rainbow but I thought they looked good together .Thanks all for the information.Bo

I made inquiries. :-) A couple of people contributed to the verdict, which is that Cosmic Rainbows are not Gladding Vitro, and thus were not made between 1969 and 1982, nor before 1969.

Paris Mfg bought Gladding Vitro in 1982, and changed the name back to Vitro Agate. According to AMMM, Paris made mibs from 1982 to 1985. So, how about an estimate of 24 to 27 years?

The original packaging that contains Cosmic Rainbows does not have the Paris name. Paris put their name on the Vitro labels after they used up the Gladding headers.

I would have to assume that Cosmic Rainbows were made by Viking Rope and not Paris, since the name had been removed. That would put them later, about 1988 to 1989.

Now that I'm done with my part of the cosmic research I'll say what I should've said awhile back -- those aventurine bananas are sharp!

hmmm ... while i'm in the neighborhood catching up ...

the wirepull colors seem like the vacor wicked owl. how sure are you of it being european?

well, I thought I was done with the cosmics but I didn't see your response, PlanB.

Are you saying they were Anacortes mibs after all? I'm confused now.

edit: I'm even more confused now, I just read some more in AMMM and they seem to contradict the date they gave for when Paris was making marbles. Looks like that continued through much of 1987. Plus they seem to give two different dates for the move to Anacortes. I give. One day I'll get it straight. By the way, I found a newspaper interview of a Vitro manager, John Masters, who doesn't seem to be mentioned in AMMM. Was "manager" different from "plant manager"? I still have plenty to sort out, I guess.

It was my understanding that Vitro (under Paris) went bankrupt in 1985, so I presume there were no marbles produced in the following 2 years.

When Viking bought the company in 1987, they used the same headers, but presumably removed the Paris name first. If not, then they used the same headers until they were gone, and then used only the Vitro name. In either case, the Cosmics were in packages without the Paris name, so the oldest they could be is 1988.

I think Viking moved the company in 1989 to Anacortes, and the Cosmics no longer show in that packaging. It seems reasonable to assume they were made prior to the move.

Now that I'm done with my part of the cosmic research I'll say what I should've said awhile back -- those aventurine bananas are sharp!

hmmm ... while i'm in the neighborhood catching up ...

the wirepull colors seem like the vacor wicked owl. how sure are you of it being european?

I am never sure ,so I'll put up better pics later.Glad you like the green cats-eyes.Have a look at post #13 on this thread Aventurine Chunk made #5 on Marlow Peterson's Top 30 Cats-Eye List.........SUPRISE!!!!!. Bo

I just got back from vacation and saw this thread on the Cosmic Rainbows. I agree that they were done after G-V (1982) and before Anacortes. I use the 45+1 count bags for reference here since I don't find 45+1 prior to the G-V use. Here's a Vitro Bag - Flag Label - Parkersburg with All Reds and some of the 'Lilacs' - (kind of dates them maybe also); then another Parkersburg flag label bag with cat's-eyes, including a green glass shooter; then the 45+1 flag label bag of Cosmic Rainbows (again Parkersburg); then a similar style bag with the Paris Manufacturing info printed under the Parkersburg line (by the way, some of the Paris bags were glued - no staples); then I threw in the flag label style bag with Anacortes in place of Parkersburg on the info line (that's a 50 count bag). So, they did print some headers on the Parkersburg style before they switched to their well known silver label.

post-60-1241473019_thumb.jpg

post-60-1241473043_thumb.jpg

post-60-1241473058_thumb.jpg

post-60-1241473084_thumb.jpg

post-60-1241473110_thumb.jpg

post-60-1241473148_thumb.jpg

• 12 years later...

I know I'm very late to this topic, but I thought I'd post a pic of a bag of 8 shooters I acquired a couple of years ago.  Five are Cosmic Rainbows and three are caged cats.  I don't have my callipers with me but I'd guess these are either 7/8" or 15/16".  Alas, the bag is cloudy, which didn't make for a great picture.

SHOOTERS.thumb.jpg.9f90f2d65b4042d599bd012ffb6dfed0.jpg

• Wow 2

6 hours ago, Miss-Marbles said:

I also have five bags of "new old stock" Vitro Cosmic Rainbows, all labeled from Parkersburg.  These came from a different source than the bag of eight shooters.

None of the five bags has a shooter. 

1140546185_COSMICRAINBOWS.thumb.jpg.b7e419e645af5bfbd22221fba10f7485.jpg

Both  bags are some very nice mibs IMHO   :thup: