Jabo Is Now The Big Dog! Cac Is Not

I agree comparing an 80 year old marble to one made last week (in a limited run...sure) is simply absurd. Like comparing the "Mona Lisa" to a xerox print of it.

As a retired art historian, gotta say your comparison isn't really valid. Comparing the "Mona Lisa" to a very nice contemporary painting by a well-known artist would be more like it.

And for the record, I acknowledge that the Mona Lisa is a great painting, for many reasons, but I personally don't like it. Wouldn't hang it in my house. Would definitely sell it.

Don't have to like something to acknowledge it's good, and vice versa. As in marbles . . .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to sum up this deal in one word "NUTS", there is no comparing "JABO" to any MFC or CAC, they dwell in a place of honor way above these modern run Jabo's, thats why the word "classic" or "vintage" is always associated with MFC or CAC, I dont say its bad to collect modern mill ran marbles, but to compare them to the original classic brands is just "NUTS" Of course thats just my humble opinion....gry

Interesting thought Gry. You made me think of something which might be a more meaningful comparison. The word "vintage" isn't always associated with MFC or CAC. That is, of course they are vintage, but other marbles are considered vintage also. Take Marble King.

Of course it's provocative to compare Jabo to CAC. ROFL. But toss Marble King into the mix. Where do Jabos fall in comparison to Marble Kings? Beauty, value, etc.

Still apples and oranges, but maybe not so very different monetarily (for example). If you like fancy lines and colors, Jabos would beat the Bumblebee and other Rainbows. This spoken as one who loves the clean simple lines of the classic bee.

I stand by my original statement...turn on the machine and turn out as many limited run Jabo's as you like, like a xerox machine, you can do it into the millions, no problem with that I don't collect "Contemporary" budget marbles, But my concern is that you see Jabo's sold as vintage all the time - in Antique Malls, Flea markets, or shows, and it's always the same the seller won't fess up to that they are new, being sold as old. now there's a problem.....

It's harder than that to get the eye catching ones. the pretty colors. etc.

Changing the subject . . . because I know someone is very torn up about the current drama . . . why don't more Jabo lovers post at Jabo Land?

Some of the more vocal Jabo critics have promised not to criticize there. Heck some have promised not to even post there for that matter.

Why not celebrate the Jabos there more often? Not saying never post them anywhere else. But if you really like Jabos and really wanna celebrate them why not go to Jabo Land first? Sometimes I think the drama is more important than the marbles to some people.

Thank you Ann.Galen that's a great eagle! I'm thinking if Jabo wanted to compare it's self to CA or Peltier they should package there brand and sell them on the open market competing with Marble King ,Vacor ,China and see how they stack up.Yes package them up and sell across the USA as CAC and Peltier did.Would Jabo rise to take over the world marble market?I don't think so.If they could then they could truely say they are comparable to CAC and Peltier.bo

Bo, do you think Jabo wants to compare itself to those companies? I never got that idea.

I bet the people there, if they think of it at all, have a healthy view of their position in the history of marbles.

They are the heirs to Bogard and hence to Heaton, and to Vitro. They are one of the last marble companies in the U.S. They kept alive all these years by making industrial marbles. And they got to make some kids' marbles too along the way. And Dave had his place in the history of Champion.

Jabo can't compare in the kids' marble market because today's kids' marble market can't compare to that which Martin Christensen got into because it was so hot. American companies don't have the natural resources and cheap labor to keep a huge share of what is left of the kids mibs market. [Edit: one more important point before I give it up - today's marble market couldn't compare because in the old days it was important to make marbles which kids wouldn't snub in favor of real agates. It took quality control and good glass to keep serious players satisfied. In today's market, being as cheap as possible is what matters. yikes]

But I shouldn't even go on. Sorry to bore you. Jabo should't have to get defensive or be defended just because someone likes to have a little "fun" with some of his fellow collectors. Thanks tons Steve. LOL ;-)

Please do not read if you do not want to read my oppinion!

These are some very nice looking marbles.........................BUT I am truely sorry, I can not morally and will not financially pay over $3.00 each on ebay in lots or pay $5.00 each as offered by a board member here for a marble that is beautiful but where the exact same looking marble and run for that matter (with slight variations I am sure) can be made by the millions again tomorrow if Dave and the crew decided to do so. If I was going to let go some of my very hard earned cash I would by akro, peltier, mfc, cac, or any less common marbles from any of the many WV marble companies. I just recently paid 12.00 for these.

i could only have bought 2 or 3 jabo rainbows for this. Sorry but I will take my vintage marbles. Please don't get me wrong, these are awesome looking marbles. I would love to have some but i'll wait until the price goes down. I am sure it will. JMHO

Bo, do you think Jabo wants to compare itself to those companies? I never got that idea.

I bet the people there, if they think of it at all, have a healthy view of their position in the history of marbles.

They are the heirs to Bogard and hence to Heaton, and to Vitro. They are one of the last marble companies in the U.S. They kept alive all these years by making industrial marbles. And they got to make some kids' marbles too along the way. And Dave had his place in the history of Champion.

Jabo can't compare in the kids' marble market because today's kids' marble market can't compare to that which Martin Christensen got into because it was so hot. American companies don't have the natural resources and cheap labor to keep a huge share of what is left of the kids mibs market. [Edit: one more important point before I give it up - today's marble market couldn't compare because in the old days it was important to make marbles which kids wouldn't snub in favor of real agates. It took quality control and good glass to keep serious players satisfied. In today's market, being as cheap as possible is what matters. yikes]

But I shouldn't even go on. Sorry to bore you. Jabo should't have to get defensive or be defended just because someone likes to have a little "fun" with some of his fellow collectors. Thanks tons Steve. LOL ;-)

Yes!I have gotten that impression before,I see this time it is prettiness.OK my bad.But they do call themselves the "BIG DOG" :D

Yes!I have gotten that impression before,I see this time it is prettiness.OK my bad.But they do call themselves the "BIG DOG" :D

Jabo did? I missed that.

Or is Steve Jabo? I actually heard a rumor about that but I never saw the confirmation. I am definitely out of the loop. :character-smileys-238:

History repeats itself,,,

Time stands still for no one,,,

Ive never seen a truely magical crystal ball,,,

Jabo is,and will be a part of marble history,,,,,

All marbles were new,at one time,,,,,

I like anchovies,and its not important to me,if anyone else likes them,,,

(unless theres a limited supply,and theres 2 of us at the table)

Collect them for what ever reason YOU choose,,,

And even though many are pretty I will say that none of the new runs have yet to achieve the nice very bright distinct and solid colors of the early vintage marbles(CAC, Akro, Peltier,) they haven't come close with bright yellows reds and still can only only come up with a Milky white. And forget about a nice black. JMO, but I have nice examples from most every run. That is one of the things that can happen when you buy glass not necessarily made for a furnace and use it that way. They photo very well with flash and look great with a bright light but in normal light none achieve the nice bright colors of vintage mibs IMO. There really is no comparison IMO. And shouldn't be IMO. Peace,Galen

Yes Steph, I agree with you,this is why Jabo can't be the "Big Dog" Steve claims they are compared to CAC,Peltier or there contemporaries Marble King,Vacor,and China.

IMO "Big Dog" is a title reserved for the champions ,the winners,the undisputed leader in there feild.I understand now Steve wants to narrow this discussion down to prettiness,so I'm supposed to ignore all the other accomplishments of MFC,CAC and Peltier when they are compared to JABO? That would be like me saying "my left hook is better than Muhommad Ali's,only my left hook.So when comparing me to him only consider his left hand and don't consider all his other fantastic attributes.Yahoo! I'm the Big Dog"

I don't know Dave and I'm sure he is a nice guy who probably wouldn't make the claims that Steve makes

RRR=4.4%

Making a counter point-being as cheap as possible mattered a lot in the old days also. So much so that the major companies actually price fixed their jobber marbles. And most kids played with clay marbles not agates.(before the cheaper glass mibs came about) Agates were much too expensive for most kids. The glass marbles were made to mimic the very sought after Agates and be cheap enough for most kids to afford.(in nother words to replace clays not agates) Agates would remain the favorite choice as their shooters for many many years. There probably were not a lot of kids that could afford to snub other marbles in favor of real agate IMO.. Aren't marbles fun.

I guess I take some issue with which market glass mibs were trying to take over. Maybe the answer is both. Being able to break into the German agate market is touted as one of Martin Christensen's accomplishments. His artful advertising - using names of various stones - was given part of the credit. But the marbles still had to be good. Martin was notorious for quality control.

But I'm not arguing. Don't think there is too much difference of opinion here. Mostly mentioning facts I find interesting.

Cheap German labor was a big issue to Martin. He did benefit from tariffs. A spokesman for U.S. glass manufacturers lobbied Congress for higher tariffs specially to protect the newborn American glass marble industry. All two glass marble making companies in the U.S. at the time, if I recall correctly.

And Martin had affordable natural gas . . . until WWI.

LOL. Just talking. Not really debating. I love thinking about these guys. Martin is definitely a fave. :)

And duh, of course Martin's mechanization itself helped make the manufacturing process less expensive. Obviously a big factor.

Of course cost matters. As I said (again and again lol) I wasn't arguing. This subject is simply fascinating to me all around, that is, the subject of the marble business back in the day.

Did you know that hardware business owners back then were advised to sell mibs and pocket knives to boys as close to cost as possible? Ya know why? To get them hooked on the store. Get the boy's business and you have the man's in later years. :-)

Are you arguing with me? I'm not arguing with you.BUT! wouldn't it be cool if you could go to the hardware store and buy Jabo's?That would be the first step towards making Jabo the "BIG DOG".I would buy them. There are stores near me were I can buy Vacor or chinese marbles.It can be done,even in hard times.