Jabo Is Now The Big Dog! Cac Is Not

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am and remain a rookie marble collector, or maybe I am simply a marble lover, whatever the case I love what Jabo has done. I suppose if your in your sixties or even more refined, then buying a Jabo for an investment is down right silly. Fact is, if I were sixty, I would be leaving the Jabo buying to my children or buy them as gifts to my grandchildren... unless of course I really really liked them, and fact is, I do really really like them. To buy them as an investment in your lifetime seems obsurd to me. But to buy them because they are beautiful orbs of modern art, absolutely! I love them. But can I honestly compare these limited runs to something made forty or fifty years ago? or even before that? Since they were both made for two totally different audiences, you have to be able to call an apple an apple and an orange an orange. If kids were knuckling down with these private runs, then they would be as close to the same as they could get, IMO. But they are not, not yet. Like a wise man once said, *a few posts ago I believe*, time will tell. If this economy keeps tanking, maybe kids won't have a choice to play video games and will be forced to play outside, and just maybe they would knuckle down again. If that day comes, I just hope that my knees are still good enough so I can get down there with them. And of course, I'll have my bag of Jabo's with me.

God Bless

Also would like to say the idea of 12 colors in one marble seems un-natural to me.How many things can you think of in nature,the size of a marble,with 12 colors.And I dont think a marble could have more than eight colors.Red,orange,yellow,green,blue,purple,black and white,that makes eight.Any other color would be a blend.bo

Good point Bo, I'd have to say that some of my most favorite Jabo's are the ones on a clear base with just a wisp or a tad bit of two or three colors. The Jinks run has some wicked cool ones too, I forget what they were called but you can look at it, and in it. To me, that's the best! God Bless

I must add how refreshing it is to have such a nice open discussion with out anyone taking anything too personal and getting upset. I wonder if it was cheap clay or bennington types marbles Martin was trying to compete with, not the more expensive agates. And Bo I am afraid that the cost of the glass they use in the new Jabos runs keeps them from ever being cheap enough to be competitive with your local stores Vacors. I would bet they cost between 10-25Xs as much to make.

Also would like to say the idea of 12 colors in one marble seems un-natural to me.How many things can you think of in nature,the size of a marble,with 12 colors.And I dont think a marble could have more than eight colors.Red,orange,yellow,green,blue,purple,black and white,that makes eight.Any other color would be a blend.bo

If there are only eight colors, Home Depot could sure cut down on inventory. My Sherman Williams color selector only has a few thousand color blends to choose from. I'll bet that most paint retailers wish they only had eight but then the customers might go to a place where there where they had more choices. Based on the post, I guess maybe there are only eight major colors and the rest are all variations of the eight. When I was little and playing for keeps, my friend Mike was color blind and only had two colors and shades of Black/White/Gray in between. His idea of a really good marble was not based on all the information. I also liked to win many of the things he put in the ring. I would offer to help him out with his selection.

I am and remain a rookie marble collector, or maybe I am simply a marble lover, whatever the case I love what Jabo has done. I suppose if your in your sixties or even more refined, then buying a Jabo for an investment is down right silly. Fact is, if I were sixty, I would be leaving the Jabo buying to my children or buy them as gifts to my grandchildren... unless of course I really really liked them, and fact is, I do really really like them. To buy them as an investment in your lifetime seems obsurd to me. But to buy them because they are beautiful orbs of modern art, absolutely! I love them. But can I honestly compare these limited runs to something made forty or fifty years ago? or even before that? Since they were both made for two totally different audiences, you have to be able to call an apple an apple and an orange an orange. If kids were knuckling down with these private runs, then they would be as close to the same as they could get, IMO. But they are not, not yet. Like a wise man once said, *a few posts ago I believe*, time will tell. If this economy keeps tanking, maybe kids won't have a choice to play video games and will be forced to play outside, and just maybe they would knuckle down again. If that day comes, I just hope that my knees are still good enough so I can get down there with them. And of course, I'll have my bag of Jabo's with me.

God Bless

I must add how refreshing it is to have such a nice open discussion with out anyone taking anything too personal and getting upset.

YES!

Although I might want to argue with marboman about there only being eight colors and then blends. From that perspective, there are really only five colors, if you count black and white -- the other three being red, yellow, and blue -- the only colors that can't be made by blending any other colors together.

And, acourse, we could debate whether or not black and white are colors, if you want to, or are they the absence of all colors and the presence of all colors? And acourse, they switch, depending on whether you're talking about pigment or light . . .

Gee, I love marbles . . .

Gary,

I am 63 and getting ready to invest even more in Jabo marbles. I have been and am starting to list even more of my Akro, Vitro, Champion, Peltier, Master, , Contemps and the rest to get more money so I can buy even more of the worthless Jabo special run marbles. My Dad was offered a chance to buy into a glass bottle design for only $500. He passed and it was the Coke Bottle. I don't think the next Jabo run will bring my investment back to even in my lifetime but I really do not give a rats ass. I like Dave and like the marbles. I like having cases of the stuff in my house. I often give Jabo marbles away wherever I go and when people come over, I show them, I give them some and they love them. What else is there in life?

I think CAC flames, exotics, sand layered, 3/4" of anything CAC, guineas and any of the other rare CAC marbles are the bomb too. I am prepared to pay anyone $1.00 to $5.00 each for any mint example they care to sell me.

yeah the jabos are really pretty... but I gotta go with Galen and Pop on this one.

and yes! it's nice everyone can have an opinion and discussion without getting mean and nasty! this could go down in marble connection history!!

wtg gang!

Mike, I think that is super awesome! I think when collecting becomes an investment, the spirit is lost. The best times I have with marbles is time shared with the people I love, and like you, when meeting new people while I have a pocket full of Tributes. :) I took handfuls to the softball games this summer and you should have seen the eyes on the kids that picked them out of my hand! LOL!! You would have thought I was giving away twenties! It was great to introduce kids to marbles and see the smiles, but it was even better when I watched them from afar and saw them showing those marbles to their friends. To me, marbles are an art and a love. I have a special place for Jabo's because of why I got into collecting marbles, and the irony I found with the date of a Joker run and my story. That was truly like a smile from Heaven. But I do see some valid points here on this thread. God Bless

COKE BOTTLE?? Earl R. Dean Designed the Coca-cola in 1915 for the "Coca-Cola" Company

OK! You must be a stickler for detail. I have found it much easier to never let facts get in the way of illustrating or making a good point. I was trying to keep in the spirit of some of what is written here. Maybe my dad was asked to invest in a bottle. In any event, he did not and what happened after that was history.

Well put Sue! The thing everyone needs to realize is Steve likes pushing buttons and he succeeded again which i find hilarious

Yes, I agree,Steve is such a braggadocio that it inspires me to join in and plug some of my own endeavers,like the pastel drawing I posted.It's all good fun :D

Bo, that was not cool.

It is not all good fun to call a board member a braggadocio.

Sure this thread was provocative but it was going along okay. No good reason to stir things up. In fact every reason not to.

If you don't care about the future of this board, keep poking fun at Steve. If you care at all, please don't. If Steve is stirring stuff for any unkind reason, let him stir alone. (Not saying he is. That's between him and him.) Please help neutralize the conflict and not feed it, that is, if you don't want Lou to shut this place down.

Marble Mental has already been shut down (temporarily I hope) over these vendettas and agendas. The administrators are good people peforming a service.

Edited by Steph

And dogs. Now "I" am done feeling braggadocious.And can't we call IT what IT is? Bragging is OK. If Steve can brag can't I show off a little? He hopes to sell marbles,I hope to sell art one day.Fair dink'm?

You know when we weren't shoot'n mibs or lagging coins as kids we were probably bragging about some toad ,or a sinkhole somewhere.I'm on my way.

post-1768-125822717113_thumb.jpg

:)

Calling IT what IT is is different from calling SOMEONE something. That's all's I'm really saying. It's gonna be hard to call anybody anything if the board is shut down.

The Bo who talked me through some of my struggles earlier this year seemed really good at stepping around the poop. I appreciated it. :-)