Akro Question?

I have seen some of these examples. Kind of wondering if these are experimentals discarded at Akro or made from cullet? Thanks for your time. Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370331822315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370331823579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The auction stated may have as made crease/folds. I have yet to see a polished marbles with either. I would have to agree with you all! Just wondered if any marbles have been found at the digs like them? Round examples I mine! Thanks for all the replies. Mike

The auction stated may have as made crease/folds. I have yet to see a polished marbles with either. I would have to agree with you all! Just wondered if any marbles have been found at the digs like them? Round examples I mine! Thanks for all the replies. Mike

That last couple of sentences in th elisting about folds, dug marbles, dirt sticking to them, etc. looks to be in all his descriptions, probably a disclaimer of sorts.

Delbert, disclaimers should be in really small letters. Everyone knows that! I asked if there has been any unearth from the Akro site. "In the round form"! Not collectors that have dug up cullet from the site and made marbles from the cullet they dug! Thanks Mike

Anyone that has polished a marble before can see the tell tale signs and see them straight away. This is most certainly polished. Whether it was something larger and they took it down to get rid of the damage, or they just ground it out of cullet, makes no difference to me. It's been ground, and IMHO, isn't an Akro any more. This marble is made from a larger marble, or cullet, but it was never sold as is with an Akro lable by Akro Agate. And yes, I am a rookie, but even a rookie knows when you smell bacon and eggs cooking, it's time for breakfast.

Delbert, disclaimers should be in really small letters. Everyone knows that! I asked if there has been any unearth from the Akro site. "In the round form"! Not collectors that have dug up cullet from the site and made marbles from the cullet they dug! Thanks Mike

I've noticed that some ebay sellers just have a saved disclaimer that they leave in the box with every description. Putting it in small print isn't a good idea, IMHO. It's a dodge used by unscrupulous sellers in many cases who can then say "You shoulda read the fine print". ;-)

"may contain......may have.......might whatever" Geezus! It either does or it doesn't. When I see limp-wristed phrases like this that should be sufficient evidence to stay clear. Just another person who doesn't know what he has and is attempting to get as much for it as he can. Pathetic. David

I agree for the most part, David. But as for, "Just another person who doesn't know what he has . . .", I'm sure you realize, good or bad, it's marketing - you can earn a Ph.D. in it. Many of these folks see the difference between "may have" and "has" as the difference between the truth and a lie - especially if they know the most honest statement is "most likely does not have". Marketing abounds in our society. Consumer education is the only answer.

It's a hot button for me . . .sorry to have drifted so far from the posted topic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Feb-07-10 at 17:24:27 PST, seller added the following information:

PS...I've had several people tell me this is marble was made from a cullet. If they are right about this, then please bid accordingly !! Thanks to all for the heads up !!

on both auctions now.