Hybrid Cats

Well, after hours of searching through catseyes in the last couple days, I have a new healthy respect for them, and I have a new love - hybrid cats, these really are beautiful marbles. I have really only collected Akro for the last six years, but I might swing a little towards these for a bit. Not the best picture, I usually like to use sunlight, but we have a storm blowing through north Florida for the next day and a half, oh well.

Anybody have any hybrids they'd like to share?

-Jess

post-78-126832266246_thumb.jpg

Here's a favorite of mine. One single six-vane cat's eye. But it was "messed up" in about three ways. Looks like about a dozen different cats depending on how you turn it.

FlamboyantCatEyeA.jpg

end view of same marble:

BoringCatEyeA-1.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ :P

I LOVE hybrid cats!!!! Respect? Who cares?? They are plentiful and wonderful!! One of the few very beautiful marbles that anyone can have in abundance...

This is a great shooter size marble... But, it was also a lucky shot that turned out better than expected... ;)

post-3-126843545338_thumb.jpg

Pssssst.... C'mon Andrea, where's yours??? I look forward to these threads so I can see it!! LOL

As a newbie (still...sigh) I have a lot of cat eye marbles. As a kid, I kind of remember that all my cats were very well made with either all solid color veins, or at least a pattern in the multi-colored ones. I don't remember any being what I am thinking is being referred to as hybrids. Concerning cat eyes, what is the number one qualifier for it to be a hybrid? All the pictures in this thread are really amazing. Even though there are lots of cats out there, a lot of them can really hold my attention.

If I understand it well,could be wrong,it's called an hybrid when one or more vanes have at least 2 different colors,like this one.

Maybe it's something completely different LOL.

winnie

Thank Winnie! I had a hunch that was part of it, but you never do know. Now I will have to get busy and start going through all the cats I stored while is was in basic marble training.

Alley,be sure to look for aventurine while your searching.You will find it in the green hy-brids mostly but check them all outside in the full sun.The green and blue cat's pictured have it ,that other marble is just a favorite of mine,no aventurine,have fun.

I have 27 of these cats eye marbles. They average 29/32" and are 4 vane, that go all the through the marble, and are loaded with adventurine. There is both green and white adventurine on the vanes. The white opalescent vanes are trimmed in an emerald green and there is one inner vane of darker green that shares one vane with the opalescant color. Very jelly like in appearance. There are tiny air bubbles in them, but they are not overpowering. I have no idea who made them, but maybe Vitro? They have the construction look of some larger Peltier green sunsets that I have. I don't believe them to be pelts. Any help is appreciated!

icobk3.jpg

2mcf7h1.jpg

2qvebev.jpg

Hybrid cat's-eye marbles in the main refers to Vitro 5 vane cat's-eyes with hybrid characteristics. That's pretty much the designation given to the name Hybrid Cat's-Eyes by Castle & Peterson. Of course, hybriding can occur in other types of cat's-eyes. I wouldn't call all those in your initial Post in this thread hybrids. I personally love Vitro Hybrids and have a small made-up box of 30 that I try to upgrade. David

I'm going to disagree with that.

Vitro's mibs with two colors in one vane are so common that it has been concluded they were intentional and thus perhaps not deserving of the name hybrid. I've heard that said anyway.

I'm not saying not to call the Vitros hybrids but how can an intentional "hybrid" rob the name from, say, a marble which is truly a blend of more than one type, such as a changeover between runs.

Maybe a marble such as mine in post #3 could more accurately be called "error". But as of this morning I'm standing by hybrid as a great name for them. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember anyone else ever saying that the name only applied to Vitros.

Elizabeth? Paula? Am I full of it? . . . uh, on this subject? rofl

Okay, we need more pix. LOL. Words bad. Marbles good.

O.K. I probably should have added to my post that the term 'hybrid' from the get-go has been a bit of a misnomer. There are so bloody many of these marbles that it is kinda hard to apply the term to them. It's just that during the mid-to-late 1990s and especially after Larry & Marlow's book on cat's-eye marbles the name Hybrids became enshrined with the Vitro Hybrid Identification. See pg. 13 and 14(the cage-style) and then their text as well. Page 13 under the heading HYBRID CAT'S-EYES shows mainly five vaners with 2 and 3 colors. Of course I have them with more colors but mostly 3 colors and only 2 colors when I felt they were particularly outstanding. Again, it was a constant secondary comment when these marbles came up for discussion that the term 'hybrid' was taken loosely which is what I probably should have pointed out from the get-go in my Post above. Maybe in general use the name generically but more specifically it has come to be associated as Larry & Marlow designation. Oh, and while 5 vanes was the predominate variety they did occur in four and six vanes and then, of course in the cage-style as noted in their book on page 14. I hope that this has fleshed it out more succintly (sp); it's not always my intention to go into considerable elaboration when I'm basically just making a one shot comment as I did above(whatever the heck it was I said!). David

• 9 months later...