Question For A Math Calculations Guru

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh...now we're getting into calculus...

...I think...

...it's been a long time...

We is a grammar error here.We aren't getting into calulus, they are. We who don't understand calculus are asking for the answers from those who do. I even heard that once upon a time, you could go out your way and find MBA programs without calulus.

Take a 1/2 inch marble and lay it beside another 1/2 inch marble now imagine how many more 1/2 marbles it would take to get that 1 inch into the shape of a sphere. That made it a little easier to imagine for me. Also I looked at how many marbles are packed into a glass globe I have and it is a whole lot more than I imagined would fit.

Yeah at first I thought we were talking about how many x" diameter marbles would fit into a y" diameter hollow sphere, where they are all only touching each other at one point.

Calculating the volume might be easier by relating it to mass, so if a 1" marble weighs "X" and a 0.5" marble weighs "Y" than "Z" amount of 0.5" marbles are equivalent to an "X" marble. Assuming similar densities of course. :confused-smileys-327: I think

m!b$.....What I meant by my dumb remark, was that calculus and trig rarely helped me out later in life, but algebra and geometry are useful quite often, and much more fun.

Your post isn't the one I was referring to. It's Steve's.

My head is spinning. You should see it...it's really cool :)

Can we talk about plasma physics for awhile? I don't get this numbers stuff.

"Steph, thanks for splainin' that.

There are three kinds of people here at Lou's marble Connection...

those who are good at math, and those who arent."

HAW! Good one! I mean two. I mean . . . .

In my advanced astrophysics class at Harvard I did some further research..

I put water in a graduated cylinder and noted the level . I then placed a 1” marble in it, noted and marked the level again. I removed the 1” marble and added four 5/8” marbles. Sure nuff the water came even with the top mark. I then tried with various sizes of marbles .

In conclusion, the calculations posted here matched my findings.

(ok, I made up the part about Harvard, but it worked in the kitchen with a large shot glass and a sharpie)

We, who once upon a time, dabbled a bit in calculus, find it infinitely easier to understand than your post.

Gosh, I am sorry you didn't understand my post. I was laughing at myself because I don't understand calulus and didn't back in the day either.

...I put water in a graduated cylinder and noted the level . I then placed a 1" marble in it, noted and marked the level again. I removed the 1" marble and added four 5/8" marbles. Sure nuff the water came even with the top mark. I then tried with various sizes of marbles .

In conclusion, the calculations posted here matched my findings...

Good method since there's "No replacement for displacement", when measuring volume as long as the densities are the same. Figure something like 1 Kg per L, or ~8.34 Lbs per USG for water or something like that if comparing by mass. Glass is pretty consistent but don't forget to account for the difference in mass if comparing a "hollow steelie" to a "solid steelie (ball bearing)... That could throw a wrench in the works. (Math can be dangerous. Handle with care) Laughing is healthy. lol

..but don't forget to account for the difference in mass if comparing a "hollow steelie" to a "solid steelie (ball bearing)... That could throw a wrench in the works.....

good point,I didnt consider that.

so the glass need to make a run of nice bubbly 5/8" Peltier sunsets would be less than needed to make a run of say, NLRs.