Peltier Submarines

m!b$

What is the definition? I have one (upper right) and a couple others in the picture have some translucency, especially around the perimeter, but they look different from the other one. Bottom right one is completely opaque, for comparison.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey I remember that one. I posted it for an I.D since I'm not a Pelt-pro, and Sub was what I got. I do remember that it was one odd little Pelt. Lots of transparent blue if I remember correcty, and the red is just on the surface. All the rest was under the surface covered with the trans blue with larger fissures of that blue sinking right to the middle of the marble. I can't remember if when back lit you could see through it? I think I remember some bubbles as well? I might have the auction pics of it. However I lost hundreds of pics when my harddrive died a few months ago. All I was able to pull off it was the back-up files and I'm not sure if it is in there. I'll look.

Is it a Sub? Might be? There is Sub stuff in it LOL. A Pelt pro might be better to ask than me. I'm an Akronut. I'll dig for the pic.

There is very little transparent. It is translucent blue around most of the perimeter, with the center being pretty much opaque. The red is only on the surface, and the translucent blue causes the dark outlines around the red ribbons. There is no color sinking into the blue, as far as I can tell.

Peltier made lots of transparent marbles with colors sinking into the transparent, so that would make submarines pretty common, right? And it's my understanding that they are quite unusual, like this Spiderman is.

I bought it several years ago, and if you got the id for it on this board, that would mean some of those Pelt people who were posting here back then, must've given it to you.

I know of blue base with orange/red ribbons, green based with orange/red ribbons Submarines. They look opaque until backlit, which reveals a transparent base. I also know of Wasps with transparent red base when backlit and black aventurine ribbons. That could place them in Submarine category I guess. These are definitely early NLR type marbles not later Rainbos. Late Rainbos have many types that would be similar in construction but not in final result.

Sami

m!b$, that is not a sub in your pics. I'm seeing NLR Superboys. The blue is very translucent to transparent in a real sub. The blue one in post #7 does look like a real sub, but it is hard to see just how simi-transparent it is in the pic. I think I might have a better pic, let me look.

Well, if you saw the other side of two of them, you would see that the top left one is a Superboy, and the bottom right one is a Superman...but I meant about the top right one, it is SO much more attractive than any ordinary Spiderman on an opaque base. I still maintain that it deserves a special name, like Super Spiderman :)

The red is somewhat brownish around the edges, don't know if I'd call it burnt.

And now I'm sorta confused about the upper left marble...I always thought it was a Superboy, but it has no blended yellow, just what you see in the photo...the other sides are pretty much the same way.

The one just posted by marblemiser is a sub IMO. The base blue can vary from extremely dark like the one Galen posted and the one I have to a more medium color. Some also seem to be more dense and stringy than others, letting less light through. The red ribbons are typical Peltier running dark red through the oranges, yellows and burnt colors. Most of the ones I have seen in hand are more of the medium blue with the lighter blended red ribbons... I am curious what others have observed though.

Bob

post-2279-129589685746_thumb.jpg

This thread got me looking at my older looking glass peltier again. I was sure these were older but never new what to think about them until now. First two rows across plus first two third row have that blue base that will let light thru it but you would think opaque until you put up to light. Third row last two have a green base that you can get light thru. Some of these let thru more light than others. Thanks to all replies.

Ok I found a pic. A pretty crappy one from when a Sony Macava was a good camera. Is this the one? It looks like I remember with the bubbles and all. The blue is transparent at least to the depth of the deepest part of the bubble. The one bubble is pretty shallow, the other a bit deeper.

It has been a few years since I saw it, and info changes all the time in this hobby. At the time all the Pelt gurus were in fact around, and that's what they dubbed it. By now-a-days info does it still fit?

Sorry for the crappy pic.

post-218-129590028227_thumb.jpg

post-2279-129589685746_thumb.jpg

This thread got me looking at my older looking glass peltier again. I was sure these were older but never new what to think about them until now. First two rows across plus first two third row have that blue base that will let light thru it but you would think opaque until you put up to light. Third row last two have a green base that you can get light thru. Some of these let thru more light than others. Thanks to all replies.

All Rainbos. Nice set. Later than Submarines. Don't know which decade. 30's to 60's? Could be earlier Rainbos, but still later than NLR's.