German Sparklers

A few years ago I purchased several marbles that claimed to be German Sparklers. All of them are over 1" and some of them have fractures. They are beautiful and I haven't seen any like them around. I still don't know how to post pictures, but if anybody that can post pictures doesn't have any, I'll be happy to mail them a few (postage return of course) so they can post them for me. I would even let them pick out one or two and keep it (them) for their collection for their trouble. Later----Leroy---

Don,

That's the ones and thank you for the great pictures. Not that I'd sell any of them, but what do you think the value per marble should be? I have lost tract (computer crash in 08) of when and where I bought mine and I have no idea what I paid for them. Again I thank you for your trouble and the great pictures.----Leroy----

Apparently the German sparklers were the equivalent of our catseyes except they tend to be more, um, je ne sais quoi! I searched through a huge flea market in Belgium years ago and found only a couple jars of sparklers. I was bummed until I found they were hot sellers on ebay.

If you ever did any antiquing or marble hunting in Pennsylvania, you may be familiar with Merritt's Antiques. I believe alot of these marbles, that they called German Sparklers, came into this country through Merritt's. Merritt's was located between Pottstown and Reading, Pennsylvania and had a Doll Museum, an Antique Shop and a huge business in Reproductions at another location.

My husband and I often stopped in at the antique shop and on one occasion, about 7 or 8 years ago, he became interested in some marbles of this type that were in a dish on the counter. The young saleslady told him she had more in the attic and went to get them. She told him that Merritt's had started in business around 1960 and they imported these marbles from Germany when they first opened. They arrived in burlap bags but I no longer remember how many were in the bags. I have also forgotten how many my husband bought but I know they he sold them to many local dealers as well as to Marblealan.

Merritt's Antiques was a huge business that took several auction companies and many auctions to complete the dispersal of their inventory. At one of their auctions I attended I actually saw a burlap bag full of these marbles being sold as well as loose marbles of the same size and type. I'm sure they have found their way all over this country and into collections.

I doubt that Merritt's was the only one importing the German Sparklers but I thought this information might be of interest. Perhaps the one who bought that wonderful sack of Sparklers will add to the story.

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...