Characters On Marbles

winnie

LOL,when i saw this marble,i thought it looks like a chinese character,but apparently it has nothing to do with calligraphy marbles??

Oh now i understand after seeing Al's marble,it must be real letters or numbers.

Please post some more,if you have them.

I was wondering what Chinese character yours might be. :)

I actually don't think that Al's is a calligraphy marble. It's more about the style and abundance of the swirl, not about it saying any particular thing. Hopefully someone else will have some examples. Otherwise I'll see if I can find some in my files.

Here's one Alan posted in 2007 as an example of what would have merited the name "calligraphy" years earlier:

MM003_mm507_lmfti.jpg

Here's one from Joemarbles.com which has been described as calligraphy.

SS-Alleys-482_JoeMarblesjpg_zpsddcbcf65.

Similar ribbon action to yours. More activity though.

That inky blue one, #4 in Al's line-up, looks most literally calligraphic to me.

#3 doesn't look like writing at all. May we agree that the term has become much more inclusive than when it was originally applied?

. . . May we agree that the term has become much more inclusive than when it was originally applied?

Yes.

To me, if the ribbons look like calligraphy (any variety -- westerm, Arabic, Chinese. etc.) then it's a calligraphy marble. In my head. There, Winnie's blue-on-white that starts the thread is a calligraphy marble, and just because an Alley is busy doesn't make it a calligraphy marble. in my book, as well.

Others disagree. Secretly I know they're wrong.