Anyone Have Pretty Vitro's To Share?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To me it doesn't look like it's veneered all over. Looks like a green band on a black/brown base, which I don't recognize as a Vitro variation. And with it being in Holland I can't help thinking it could be a foreign marble.

Beautiful and so colorful,Ric!

Edna said:You might be correct. I think we would need to have it in hand to know for sure. Maybe Winnie can help us on that.

What Steph said about the veneering,has make me thinking.

As far as i can see, the colors are not on top of a white background,is that what you mean by veneering?

The seams are the same as my blackies.

The black looks blacker than my blackies (sounds funny).

The green is a bit different from the usual.

The patches that i find here,they make me nuts,and maybe you too LOL.

Thanks, Ausman. I don't shoot marbles the way many like to. I'll give you a quick little run down. I used to use a P&S with great results and doing that is much easier due to the Depth of field issue, {area of sharpness} Actually the key is propper lighting. I use two lights that are daylight corrected but I also light the room with the same. So all in all there is 4 lights but only two that are close to the marble. You want something that is between 5000 and 5800 Kelvin. The exact # will change due to the way each camera see's the light. I then put the camera on auto white balance to make up any slight difference. The lights are only about 6 bucks each at the hardware store. Also a medium gray background is important. It is neutral so as not to throw off the WB. This is fairly typical set up.

Where I differ from most is that I don't use a P&S or a Macro lens on a DSLR. I am shooting these marbles with DSLR and a 400mm telephoto lens from 6ft away. I just have yet to buy the 1 to 1 macro lens that I want. My settings are Auto WB, F16 @ 400mm. This still gives a slow shutter speed so a tripod and remote shutter release helps me not wiggle. lol