Cac's For My Collection

Don't listen to him Rich, CAC glass is still CAC glass no matter how you add it up.

Those beauties are the best I've seen out of you yet, and I wouldn't mind owning one that is well over an inch and very busy with four or five colors for my own collection.

Bravo!!

William - this whole thing (CAC + ALLEY) is meant not to prove anything but how people treat the hobby with this rule and that - whatever method they want to make the rules we must all follow. Life isn't like that but they can't see the forest for the trees!

Bottom line - collect what looks good to you - you'll be happier.

BTW, you got only one marble right - one of the 3 is old. Now, which one?

So Rich are you saying that we can no longer claim that a marble was made in a definite period of history by a definite company? We are entitled to our own opinions about what we like to collect, but not our own facts. I get the line about collecting what you like, but you seem to be implying there is no difference between remelted CAC cullet and original CAC marbles?

Obviously in this hobby we sometimes can't say exactly for sure who made what, but it's fairly easy to distinguish between a remelt and an original, particularly in hand. If your definition of CAC is broad enough to include contemporary remelts of original CAC cullet that's your choice, but I think most collectors make the distinction not only to accurately reflect historical reality but also because our eyes can easily spot the differences.

Moved???

Why is that - here I thought we were having a good discussion about an interesting topic and now it gets threatened to be moved?

bumblebee - consider this...

Let's say I found a 1930 car kit that was originally made by a Ford company and bought it in 2013. I assemble the car kit in 2013. It is still an old car since I used the original car parts made in the 30's?

Rich, you are avoiding giving a direct answer to a direct question. And no way is that a good comparison. More realistic is If I grind up and melt down the metal parts from an old ford and make new nissan parts with it. is it a Ford? I think not. Or if I take Fenton cullet and make marbles with it on a machine at Jabo, are they Fenton marbles, I think not. Or as some believe, We take Akro cullet and make marbles at the Alley factory from the cullet they sure as heck are not Akro marbles, are they. Sorry but those are not CAC marbles in any way shape or form.

Let's say I found a 1930 car kit that was originally made by a Ford company and bought it in 2013. I assemble the car kit in 2013. It is still an old car since I used the original car parts made in the 30's?

In my opinion it would not be an old car.

I just watched Babylon 5 for the first time about a month ago. It was set in the year 2258. In one episode a guy claimed to have a mint condition Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle. It was actually assembled from parts he found here and there so I scoffed at him calling it mint condition. My opinion then and now is that if it wasn't an original build from when it was originally made. then it's something else. May still be super cool like that motorcycle would have been. But it wasn't an old motorcycle and it wasn't mint.

It seems Rich you are failing to understand what a CAC or an Alley marble is. These are not the name given because of the glass used but the company that produced it. If Vitro used some glass from CAC, it would be a Vitro marble not a CAC. You used Cullet, but you are the maker. They are Rich's remelts. Plain and simple.

I have a problem with the word, "remelt." Remelt infers the glass was a marble to begin with and I repaired it back into another marble. I took shards of glass that in no way, shape or form resembles a marble and rounded them off.

Question: did CAC or Alley use glass they made to make marbles? Not also that plain or that simple!

I don't give any power to a TV show - it is a bunch of paid actors repeating memorized lines.

I chatted with people that restore old cars and these people agreed with me it would be considered a 1930's Ford car.