Leighton Transitional, Early German Slag Type Or Other

Hi: Yes, I use a super macro setting for all pictures of marbles. What is the "flower" symbol that you ( I'llhavethat1) mention. I use a very high end camera, but, find it difficult to get good, clear, close-up pictures with natural daytime lighting inside the house. Any suggestions ? And, in response to Jeroen's question, the answer is yes, the pontil is hand ground.

Hi Bob,

If it has a nice faceted pontil in all likelyhood it is German and what we used to refer to as Leighton transitionals and thought they were american. There has been some use of the name Greiner to describe these referring to an early German glass house that they are thought to come from. If in good condition it is a very desirable marble.Bill

Hi Bill: Thank you for your thoughts, truly appreciated. My thinking is along the same line as yours. Thought I would ask and get the benefit of the experience and knowledge of collectors such as yourself. The single pontil is hand-ground/faceted. In terms of condition, there is a thin cold roll line at the end opposite the pontil ( viewable in the pictures ), as well as, a rippling effect in the glass at the bottom of the marble which you would expect to see in an old marble that has not been buffed or polished. There is also one very, very small and shallow ( what I believe to be ) tear drop shaped air bubble pop. Otherwise, the marble has no other anomolies. The surface is almost perfect. Bob

Unless you use a light box, it is hard, even with a great camera. I read a really good tutorial once that said to use a tripod and a remote to actually take the pictures, then open up the camera to the smallest number after you have put it on manual and focus it to look as sharp as you can, and set the timer to be on for at least a minute, this guy set his for three. By that, I mean that the aperature that lets the light in would be open for that long...I wish I knew the language, the proper wording for this, but I don't...Just think of the opposite of action shots where you would want the fastest shot to stop the motion. In this one you would do the same thing you would if you were taking a picture of rapids in the water and you wanted everything to look flowing rather than capturing tiny instant of time. I have not tried it yet as I don't have a remote, but I've got one on order and I am going to try it. Right now, I just use a tripod and I use a flashlight and train it on the marble from different angles especially if I am taking pictures inside at night. I use a lot of trial and error to get the best picture that I can and I still mess things up. After a while my eyes get tired and I have trouble making sure that my pictures are a sharp as they can be.

Hi: This is the exact same marble that was sold by Morphy's a number of years ago. I bought it from a dealer at the Brimfield Show last September and he is from Maryland. I have dealt with him often in the past. I live in Canada ( quite cold and lots of snow right now ) and have been buying and selling marbles on eBay and at certain U.S. Marble Shows since 2004. Pictures on the Morphy site are much better than mine, in fact, you can see the asmade mark that I refer to in their 3rd picture. Undoubtedly, wadely1212 was the person who contacted me last year when I had this marble up for sale on eBay ( not sold ). He said that he purchased this marble from Morphy's and later sold it to a dealer from Maryland. Nice to see the Morphy link because I couldn't find it. Would still like to know if experienced collectors of these type marbles agree with romanoak and I, or, do you think American made "Leighton Transitionals" are a reality ? Appreciate your comments. Bob (Metalshelf)

Hi Jeroen: Extremely interesting research and exchange of dialogue on this type glass marble. I was certainly not aware that there was this much information available on these early German hand-mades. Has significantly added to my knowledge base and I truly appreciate you sending it to me. Best regards, Bob.

You saw correctly. I did have this marble on eBay last Fall, but, it didn't sell. Probably had it priced too high, although Morphy's Auction put a $500.00 to $800.00 pre-auction estimate on it ( also probably too high ). Marble sold at auction for $431.00 in 2010. Also, these type German marbles, that probably date to somewhere between 1820 and 1850, are seldom seen on eBay and there are lots of collectors who are uncertain as to their identity and origins, so, like yourself, they do not bid ( better safe than sorry ). That is why I posted this marble in this forum........to get the benefit of the experience and knowledge of the seasoned collectors and dealers who use it.

You saw correctly. I did have this marble on eBay last Fall, but, it didn't sell. Probably had it priced too high, although Morphy's Auction put a $500.00 to $800.00 pre-auction estimate on it ( also probably too high ). Marble sold at auction for $431.00 in 2010. Also, these type German marbles, that probably date to somewhere between 1820 and 1850, are seldom seen on eBay and there are lots of collectors who are uncertain as to their identity and origins, so, like yourself, they do not bid ( better safe than sorry ). That is why I posted this marble in this forum........to get the benefit of the experience and knowledge of the seasoned collectors and dealers who use it.

Bob,

Thanks for posting this marble; it's a beauty.

However, it's not true that they are seldom seen on eBay.

A cursory search shows 7 up right now:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=leighton+marbles+-tile&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xleighton+marbles+rare&_nkw=leighton+marbles+rare&_sacat=0

and there have been many more listed in the past.

Those under an inch are found on solitaire boards in the UK, mixed in with regular (and usually nicer) handmade swirls.

That's why I'm surprised you date them as early as 1820. Where did you get that date from?

regards,

Hansel

Hansel, this discussion points up the fact that there is so much conflicting information in the hobby. I used to urge Les Jones to write a book based on what he'd learned in his many years of collecting but alas, he had that unfortunate accident years ago. Then I started bugging Alan Basinet to write a book.....guess he's up in Marble Heaven with Great Marbles Jones. How about YOU? Is there a book in you? And PS, I still love the Greiner/Leighton marble I got at a marble show quite a few years ago that was actually yours. Can't remember who was selling it for you.

Hi Hansel: Hope you didn't think I pulled the 1820 date out of thin air. May I refer you to link #19 above provided by Jeroen. Also, I used the word "probably" when referring to the dates 1820 to 1850. If you have documented information that disputes or proves otherwise, I, for one, would be very interested in adding to my knowledge base, even if it is theoretical with a lot of assumptions. I am told you are a wealth of information on the subject of marbles. You should write a book as suggested by VTAndrea. Also, I am fully aware that there are 7 "Leighton Transitional" Marbles listed currently on eBay. All of which were listed by the same seller that we are both familiar with. 6 of these were listed about 3 days ago, and, the 7th was listed about 2 days ago. Out of curiosity, when was the last time you saw this type of marble listed on eBay with either a green or cobalt blue transparent glass base ? Have a pleasant evening, Bob.