Leighton Transitional, Early German Slag Type Or Other

Good God Andrea, I hope you haven't just doomed me by asking me to write a book! First Les Jones, then Alan Bassinet, and now ME.

Years of collecting, simply hanging around marble collectors, does nothing to qualify anyone to write a worthwhile book that will help sort out "so much conflicting information in the hobby".

You need to find someone with the time, skills and passion to do some original historical and perhaps archeological research to elucidate the "truth".

Pick on someone like Akronmarbles, not me.

the ground pontil oxbloods were found in a shipwreck dated between 1870 and 1880. They are also found pictured on advertizing from that era. They may have made some earlier but they were still making them then. I believe the 1820 date is about 30-40 years too early

Hi Hansel: Hope you didn't think I pulled the 1820 date out of thin air. May I refer you to link #19 above provided by Jeroen. Also, I used the word "probably" when referring to the dates 1820 to 1850. If you have documented information that disputes or proves otherwise, I, for one, would be very interested in adding to my knowledge base, even if it is theoretical with a lot of assumptions. I am told you are a wealth of information on the subject of marbles. You should write a book as suggested by VTAndrea. Also, I am fully aware that there are 7 "Leighton Transitional" Marbles listed currently on eBay. All of which were listed by the same seller that we are both familiar with. 6 of these were listed about 3 days ago, and, the 7th was listed about 2 days ago. Out of curiosity, when was the last time you saw this type of marble listed on eBay with either a green or cobalt blue transparent glass base ? Have a pleasant evening, Bob.

Bob,

No, I did not think you made up that 1820 date. I was just curious who made it up. Now that I know where you got the information from, I'll assume it's more conjecture than fact. Everything I read says 1850's at the earliest. Incomplete marbles as well as fragments of these hand gathered, ground pontil marbles are dug alongside remnants of cane cut German swirls from glass factory dumps. I wonder if they were made very much earlier than cane cut swirls.

As I said, yours is a very nice marble. I don't know if I've ever seen another quite like it on eBay. But you said "these type German marbles, that probably date to somewhere between 1820 and 1850, are seldom seen on eBay." Well, I see them a lot on eBay. Here are 10 that were sold by a single seller this month alone:

iconPos_16x16.gif Outstanding Seller, Great Marbles, Fast Shipping! A++ Buyer:

l***s ( 456iconTealStar_25x25.gif)

Jan-28-14 10:16 2 Leighton Style Transitional Marbles 15/16".NM Plus Plus. (#400643936778) US $61.00 View Item 2 Leighton Style Transitional Marbles 15/16".NM Plus Plus. iconPos_16x16.gif Outstanding Seller, Great Marbles, Fast Shipping! A++ Buyer:

Jan-28-14 10:16 Leighton Type Egg Yolk And Green Transitional Marble.1" Minus.NM. (#400643932639) US $52.00 View Item Leighton Type Egg Yolk And Green Transitional Marble.1" Minus.NM. iconPos_16x16.gif Outstanding Seller, Great Marbles, Fast Shipping! A++ Buyer:

Jan-28-14 10:16 Large Leighton Type Transitional Marble 15/16" Plus NM. (#400638823207) US $27.00 View Item Large Leighton Type Transitional Marble 15/16" Plus NM. iconPos_16x16.gif Outstanding Seller, Great Marbles, Fast Shipping! A++ Buyer:

Jan-28-14 10:16 Large Leighton Type Transitional Marble Facet Pontil 15/16" Plus.NM Plus Plus. (#400638820575) US $42.00 View Item Large Leighton Type Transitional Marble Facet Pontil 15/16" Plus.NM Plus Plus. iconPos_16x16.gif Outstanding Seller, Great Marbles, Fast Shipping! A++ Buyer:

Jan-28-14 10:14 3 Leighton Type Transitional Marbles 7/8"-31/32".NM-NM Plus Plus. (#360835569328) US $45.00 View Item 3 Leighton Type Transitional Marbles 7/8"-31/32".NM-NM Plus Plus. Great item and fast shipping - - AAAA+++++ Buyer:

l***e ( 1889iconRedStar_25x25.gif)

Jan-25-14 14:13

Large Leighton Type Transition Marble Oxblood 31/32" Faceted Pontil NM Plus Plus (#360829264795) US $177.50 View Item Large Leighton Type Transition Marble Oxblood 31/32" Faceted Pontil NM Plus Plus iconPos_16x16.gif Great transaction;highly recommend this dealer!!!!!!!! Buyer:

t***f ( 484iconTealStar_25x25.gif)

Jan-15-14 15:55 Large Leighton Type Transitional Swirl Ground faceted Pontil With 9 Swirl. (#360829261520) US $44.00 View Item

OMG, Hansel, I surely wouldn't want to be the reason for your demise! Thanks for the chuckle. I agree with your reason for saying "no thanks". Akronmarbles doesn't surface very often, but maybe someone will suggest this worthy project to him. :unsure:

Andrea,

The reason I suggested Akronmarbles is because he's already worked it out. Most of it anyway. And being a mibologist, he should be more willing to die for the cause than I am.

See:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061004092752/http://www.akronmarbles.com/marble_production.htm

and

http://web.archive.org/web/20061004093426/http://www.akronmarbles.com/elias_greiner_vetter.htm

The Greiner page was one of my better pieces of marble scholarship.....

Duplicating the process in the glass shop is just as fun in my mind. Here is my current colour in the furnace. I am not making marbles but am instead blowing some killer vases and bowls out of this oxblood.

1614453_803691246314706_1644819507_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Zaboo: It's exactly the same marble. This marble sold at Morphy's Marble Auction on November 6, 2010. If you check the dialogue earlier on this topic, you will see that someone with the moniker "wadely1212" owned this marble at some point in time and sold it to a dealer from Maryland. I purchased this marble from this dealer from Maryland at the September Brimfield Show last year. In fact, 4 of the 5 marbles I currently have listed on eBay are from the same dealer from Maryland. Brian Estepp, a good friend, was also at Brimfield promoting Morphy Auctions, told me about this dealer who had some very nice marbles. Small world sometimes. Thanks for sharing, Bob ( Metalshelf )

I couldn't find the details, sorry. but I took the picture on jan 24th 2013. LOL. there's always 'marble trails' and I come across them fairly regularly. It's a KILLER marble, and it was hard to let it pass through my fingers. I hope whomever gets it really enjoys it! (I would!)

Next time ya see Brian, tell him 'Hey" from us! hoping to see him at the Seattle show!