Ok Clowns

I figured it out

Back in the old days this was a cloud now they call it a clown and charge more. LOL. Just kidding but it's probably true.

By the way, when these marbles were found there was three from the same cane. I am interested in getting the third.

I don't know who has it but if anybody does can you please pass the word to them.

Thanks Randy Conway

post-3401-0-99844200-1393997658_thumb.jp

Here's a different kind of clown. Size is 1-5/8". It's one of the most beautiful marbles I've ever seen. It has a white onionskin core with green and blue flecks on it (almost like a solid core) and above that core floats a layer of 1000's of tiny streaks and dots of white, yellow, orange, red, green, light blue and dark blue and tiny pieces of mica as well! It has a highly facetted pontil and really glows under a black light, so I think it dates to 1850. It was hard to photograpgh (especially to show the core, but you can see it on the last 2 pics). Here are some pics.

post-92-0-53154800-1394007446_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-71255800-1394007463_thumb.jpg

Here's a different kind of clown. Size is 1-5/8". It's one of the most beautiful marbles I've ever seen. It has a white onionskin core with green and blue flecks on it (almost like a solid core) and above that core floats a layer of 1000's of tiny streaks and dots of white, yellow, orange, red, green, light blue and dark blue and tiny pieces of mica as well! It has a highly facetted pontil and really glows under a black light, so I think it dates to 1850. It was hard to photograpgh (especially to show the core, but you can see it on the last 2 pics). Here are some pics.

Beautiful marble. But what do you base the 1850 date on, just the faceted pontil and the UV glow? Do we know when they stopped making faceted pontils? The opaque colours indicate the marble is post 1900.

what make an end of day onion skin a Clown

The best (i.e. most useful) definition of a clown is that in a clown, some of the colors are in splotches and and often appear to be lined in black. Randy's marbles are clowns, and the example JVV has pictured in post #12 shows this very well.

Crazy beautiful marble JVV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured it out

Back in the old days this was a cloud now they call it a clown and charge more. LOL. Just kidding but it's probably true.

By the way, when these marbles were found there was three from the same cane. I am interested in getting the third.

I don't know who has it but if anybody does can you please pass the word to them.

Thanks Randy Conway

Randy,

I am working on finding you that last mib.

B

It always astonishes me how much some of these types look like handmade CA guineas. Does anyone know if the company was trying to imitate them?

I don't think I've ever heard anything about CA's motivation for making the guineas.