Origin Of Exotics, Cont.

mon

The original,"story" was they were dug marbles.At least that was the story when they surfaced at the Lenox Inn.

Im still sticking with,"If its too good to be true,it probably is".

My logic and knowledge tells me they were not authentic.

ALL the marbles that showed up at the show were dead mint,with the only exception being an occasional surface,bubble dimple.

Did not see 1 piece of cullet,not 1 marble half,no damaged marbles what so ever.

I asked,Mike,specificaly,looking for more "affordable" examples,halves or cullet,--NONE.

Mike Art had some of them in an antique co-op,(months)before they sufaced at the Lennox.They were priced,pretty much in line,with the prices being asked at the show.Of course,with a feeding frenzie going on,prices escilated to the max.My thinking is,someone was being Mikes "guide".

There was no evidence on the marbles that "told" me they had been in the ground.

At least 95% of the marbles were not color combo's I had EVER seen or heard of before.

I have never seen any halves,cullet or marbles in the combo's that have been found by myself,or a half a dozen other marble diggers.

Thats where Im at,,,,,,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron,

To my knowledge, I can't correlate the numbers to a color.

My "lens" was that of a pressed glass pattern and the color desired in that pattern.

In a collectibles environment, there are certain wares that hold more value that their "sisters"

Say a cobalt vase may go for hundreds, but a lowly "celery" dish in the same color would go for a single Jackson.

Lots of candlestick where made (readily available). They are heavy (good glass content). And a "single" goes for much cheaper than a pair at a show or on Ebay.

The macros of that marble have me puzzled.

Guessing that is unmelted silica?

Sincerely,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

I have the Cambridge colors book at home so will check it tonight to see if the numbers correlate with anything there. But just off the top of my head, I'd say it's more likely they're pattern numbers than color numbers. Or at least I don't think they're vintage color numbers.

And cobalt yellow means nothing to me, or at least I'm trying very hard to have it mean nothing to me. In my art historian's world, the combination would produce green. But that's with pigments, not the kinds of chemicals/minerals etc. used to color glass. So . . . beh.

And you can read the word "cobalt" as a reference to the substance cobalt, whereas "yellow" is just a color. Whatever the heck that might mean.

Is this Art guy the original source of the marbles in question?

The original,"story" was they were dug marbles.At least that was the story when they surfaced at the Lenox Inn.

ALL the marbles that showed up at the show were dead mint,with the only exception being an occasional surface,bubble dimple.

Did not see 1 piece of cullet,not 1 marble half,no damaged marbles what so ever.

I asked,Mike,specificaly,looking for more "affordable" examples,halves or cullet,--NONE.

Mike Art had some of them in an antique co-op,(months)before they sufaced at the Lennox.They were priced,pretty much in line,with the prices being asked at the show.Of course,with a feeding frenzie going on,prices escilated to the max.My thinking is,someone was being Mikes "guide".

There was no evidence on the marbles that "told" me they had been in the ground.

At least 95% of the marbles were not color combo's I had EVER seen or heard of before.

I have never seen any halves,cullet or marbles in the combo's that have been found by myself,or a half a dozen other marble diggers.

Thats where Im at,,,,,,

and that one you can take to the bank...........

Thats where Im at,,,,,,

Griff,

Thank you for your recollection of history.

Was that 2002?

Was that the Summer Buckeye Show?

Sincerely,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

I cant remember the precise time when they showed up.

Kind of like,"I was 3 or 4,when I tried to give Tiger,my cat,a bath in the swimming pool",,,didnt end well,FOR ME!

2002 sounds about right,Columbus show,Lennox Inn,I was driving a 1987 camero,,,,

Mike Art (and his bother),is the closest to the "source" that I am aware of.

The rumor that someone knows who made them,was put in my ear within the year,the marbles had surfaced.

I miss the old Lennox Inn,,,that place was perfect for a marble shows.

I cant remember the precise time when they showed up.

Kind of like,"I was 3 or 4,when I tried to give Tiger,my cat,a bath in the swimming pool",,,didnt end well,FOR ME!

2002 sounds about right,Columbus show,Lennox Inn,I was driving a 1987 camero,,,,

Mike Art (and his bother),is the closest to the "source" that I am aware of.

The rumor that someone knows who made them,was put in my ear within the year,the marbles had surfaced.

I miss the old Lennox Inn,,,that place was perfect for a marble shows.

Griff,

Thanks. Just trying to figure timelines. Do you at least remember the color of the Camaro? ;)

LOL! I did the same with my cat and my cat did the same with me. :o

Does Mike Art's brother have a first name?

Are they the twins that people talk about or is that another pair of brothers?

Sincerely,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

The rumor that someone knows who made them, was put in my ear within the year the marbles had surfaced.

Ditto that comment for me.

Thats two or more people who claim to know who made them. Let it be known, so we can end this discussion. That seams like a real easy answer. Spill the beans

Thats two or more people who claim to know who made them. Let it be known, so we can end this discussion. That seams like a real easy answer. Spill the beans

Funny stuff for sure!!! LOL Two were told a rumor but the other two claim to know them personally. And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...the wheels on the bus....

Since some people claim to be in contact with the original finders, why not ask them to issue an anonymous statement of facts surrounding the find? They can keep their anonymity and the collecting community can benefit from a very vital piece of marble history.

How did you come up with that?Where does it say anyone posting here,claims to knows who made them.?

I told you what I know,and you make up what you want?

Whats next? You gonna tell me what color my camaro is?

Hey,heres an idea,,If you have nothing factual or constructive to say,sit back and eat some,,,popcorn,,,yeah,popcorn was what I ment to say.

SSDD,,,,,,,,,

How did you come up with that?Where does it say anyone posting here,claims to knows who made them.?

I told you what I know,and you make up what you want?

Whats next? You gonna tell me what color my camaro is?

Hey,heres an idea,,If you have nothing factual or constructive to say,sit back and eat some,,,popcorn,,,yeah,popcorn was what I ment to say.

SSDD,,,,,,,,,

Hey griff to hell with the color what year is it,and are you positive it was made by chevy.

Dennis

Griff "The rumor that someone knows who made them, was put in my ear within the year the marbles had surfaced."

Sissy: Ditto that comment for me.

Ok then what is the "rumor"? It implies you know as if it was put in Your ear who it was....If it's just semantics say so, I didn't make up anything, it's a direct quote from you. Who is the "someone" that knows who made them? Let me know if I'm reading you wrong....

Ya ever watch "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"? I think we're all going fishing today!

Happy Easter All!

...Books: now I'm afraid to read them! After they turn Jacks Brain to oatmeal, and the Chief Smothers him with a pillow, I like the part where the Chief tears the sink off the wall smashes it through the window, jumps out and walks away, seams like the right thing to do with this post, no (real) answers so time to call it a day and walk away, Because their just not going to tell you! :deadhorse::blink::blink::icon_popcorn: DB.

I can dig it DB but I thought I was in the correct line......A wise man said....you can't expect filet mignon when standing in front of a hotdog cart! lol The horse is still dead but it good to know one person gets it! Thanks DB