Making my own Marbles!

LindPW

Sweet!

I still remember my first hand-made marbles (and still have them).

Don't give them away. Mark them in sequence (1801, 1802, 1803, etc.). I kept my first 100 marbles before I sold one. Pick a number for you. Might be 10, 25 or 50.

I like looking at the progression of my skills and the techniques I tried.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the enthusiasm!

John

P.S. Get a copy of Drew Fritts' book.

Those are sweet I like the blue orange one. Funny I was just watching how they're made and thinking about trying it. No idea what the start up cost is though. I will be building my blacksmith forge finally so maby after I get that figured out lol.

11 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Sweet!

I still remember my first hand-made marbles (and still have them).

Don't give them away. Mark them in sequence (1801, 1802, 1803, etc.). I kept my first 100 marbles before I sold one. Pick a number for you. Might be 10, 25 or 50.

I like looking at the progression of my skills and the techniques I tried.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the enthusiasm!

John

P.S. Get a copy of Drew Fritts' book.

Thanks for the advice! 17 is my lucky number. Maybe I’ll start at 1700. Just made 5 more marbles tonight. I can’t wait to see them tomorrow.

8 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Great start! I was asking a local glass maker what a basic setup would require to start making marbles. He was estimating around $2k (used prices?) plus the cost of oxygen.

Does that sound about right?

Thank you! All the gear is my Fathers, but I did ask him and he said under $2000 is feasible, with a beginner setup. He recommended the company Arrow Springs for equipment and glass.

7 hours ago, Steph said:

How satisfying that must be.  

The Halloween colors jump out at me.  Nice spiral.

It is a wonderful feeling and gives my father and I something to do together. The orange and black is my favorite, so far. The black also contains dichroic glass, to add some sparkle.

22 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Great start! I was asking a local glass maker what a basic setup would require to start making marbles. He was estimating around $2k (used prices?) plus the cost of oxygen.

Does that sound about right?

About that.

Focus on a quality torch and kiln.

For 17 years I've used a GTT Lynx torch and a Jen-Ken kiln (11" dia x 6" tall chamber). Both bought as new.

I use dual Airsep concentrators. Picked up as used rebuilds. Check Craigslist for low hour units.

The best tool to start is a 5-in-1 Infinite Rim Graphite Mold from Dan Grumbling.

Stainless steel punties cut from welding rod.

Last but not least, get proper eye protection!!

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...