Nice vintage foreign mibs

Mr Meteorite

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to see a pontil pic of the blue handgathered German peewee. If it does in fact have a faceted pontil and is 1/2" or smaller it would be one exceedingly rare marble.

I've not come across the Bonux labelled ones, but the unlabelled French ones (they're more like sunbursts than cat's eyes) aren't uncommon in the UK , with the 'whispers' slightly harder to find. If you don't mind the horrendous international shipping rates then you'll soon find some on ebay.fr or occasionally on ebay.co.uk

Looking at your pics of the pontil I would have to think it is faceted. Look really close with a loop and you might be able to see near imperceptible little angles on the smoothed part.  Hard to see them in the pic but it looks like they should be there. The light reflection on the marble may shift and bend when hitting those angles as well depending on how big they are.  It is a tiny marble but they should still show.

As to your question of does rare mean valuable? In a nutshell no.  After near 18 years selling marbles on ebay I found that a value of a marble is what people are willing to spend. It seems that eye appeal has more to do with value sometimes.  I'm pretty sure that serious collectors  of this type would love to own this one, and would bid. How much they would go is a ??? If listed properly on ebay with nice pics it would garner some interest for sure, but would not sell for as much as one with say oxblood and eggyolk the same size.

Attached is a pic showing what a light reflection will look like on a facet. The right side one shows the full circle of the light reflection. The one on the left I shifted the angled part to make the reflection change. If that makes sense.

facets.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

They look like euro sparklers to me Dindo.  I wonder if they go to 1.5", that would be awesome.  

I really enjoy the foreign marbles too Mr. Meteorite, sometimes its harder to find a perfect one because they seem to have so many more as-mades than American-made marbles.  (orange peel, deep sheer marks, out of rounds etc.)

Euro-Cloudy-Oxblood-Sparkler.jpg

Keen on the euros myself and have mostly foreign to the US marbles in my collection

have seen these opaque types in German packaging i also have a bunch of the transparent types but am a bit technically challenged at present so haven't been taking much pictures but any way here is one i just put together 

2013_01_013.jpg