Vacor Guacamaya

bumblebee

Anybody remember those small super bright mystery marbles that sort of resemble Vacor Dragons that showed up about 20 years ago and are always mint and often found with older Vacors?

Now that I have seen the Vacor Guacamaya marbles, which were only released in Mexico, I'm betting my money they are an early run of those.

Here's some Guacamayas:

guacamaya_fb2.jpgguacamaya_fb_closeup.jpg

And here's images of the mystery marble (usually around 9/16") that some speculate was torch made or some German machine made.

s-l1600s.jpg23423.jpg40393549_10216758456490046_6263861384879013888_n.jpgD9AF2290-7B54-4612-81E1-16D076CF4946.jpegasdfsd.jpg

Thoughts? Impressions?

• Like 1

I thought they might have been an earlier version of the Dragon - same colors but a much more defined pattern.  Just like the early Michelangelo as compared to the subsequent runs.  Here is a picture of one of my bags of Dragons (nowhere near as nice but similar colors).

Dragon - Mega Coll Bag (New) - Dragon (24+1) - Side 1 - Al - M4.jpg

On 11/15/2019 at 6:27 PM, Steph said:

Have you had any exchanges with Ricardo Mendoza on Facebook?  He has some wonderful Vacors from 60's and 70's.   I don't know what he knows about 20 years ago, but worth asking.

He said he has "similar" but wants to search around to find them.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, bumblebee said:

The two that I got from a Vacor bin at the OC Marble Show two years ago have specks of aventurine in the dark semi-transparent green, yes.

Ok that’s interesting.  They came from stock boxes? I have some from vacor that don’t and then there are these with the green av all over the trans green. 

1 minute ago, BuckEye said:

Ok that’s interesting.  They came from stock boxes? I have some from vacor that don’t and then there are these with the green av all over the trans green. 

It was a seller who had compiled his own box of Vacors, so definitely not original stock boxes.

I only got two and then traded one so I've only seen two in hand.

Hello, I believe your marble is in fact Vacor Guacamaya , here are a few examples. They seem to generally have two shades of green in the base , the darker green is translucent. They also seem to have yellow ribbons , paired by either orange, purple or coral ribbons. Those are just my observations , they are not Mega Marbles Dragons , but they were made by Vacor de Mexico and marketed and sold  in Mexico . I hope this helps . -Stephen 

08CE83F1-55C1-47DE-B366-F0CF3C1BA2C7.jpeg

5 hours ago, stephenb said:

Hello, I believe your marble is in fact Vacor Guacamaya , here are a few examples. They seem to generally have two shades of green in the base , the darker green is translucent. They also seem to have yellow ribbons , paired by either orange, purple or coral ribbons. Those are just my observations , they are not Mega Marbles Dragons , but they were made by Vacor de Mexico and marketed and sold  in Mexico . I hope this helps . -Stephen 

Thanks for sharing more of your photos. My hunch equals your hunch. That being said, the examples I have found of the extremely vivid ones are all closer to 9/16" than 5/8".

I sure wish we had insider knowledge from Vacor employees who could give insights.

I have one that I thought was German circus is very similar to this in colors but I am not 100% sure. Mine has a handgathered 9 and tail, loaded with very fine silver and green aventurine in transparent green ribbons at both poles and has the thick egg yolk properties on yellow ribbons.

52 minutes ago, machinemades said:

I have one that I thought was German circus is very similar to this in colors but I am not 100% sure. Mine has a handgathered 9 and tail, loaded with very fine silver and green aventurine in transparent green ribbons at both poles and has the thick egg yolk properties on yellow ribbons.

Do you have photos of yours, especially the nine and tail you see? I seem to recall that some people were calling these "German circus" at one point but there was also another type of colorful marbles (with seams, maybe?) that others called a German circus. 

2 hours ago, Nantucketdink said:

ugh, that came out tiny.  It is Vacor paperwork IDing the Guacamaya top left.  Same marble as Dragon.  Their example doesn't include the nice extra colors or other variations that can show up in marbles

The forum will now accept (and re-size) images of any size, so no worries about shrinking images in order to post.

I got two "Twisters" from the same guy who had the mystery marbles, and the quality of the glass had people assuming I had CACs at the show.

I wonder if Vacor produces first run or "design run" versions of a given marble using the highest quality glass in order to create an ideal representation of the marble, then mass produces it using the cheaper glass. That's speculation to a degree, but it's widely known the early runs us higher quality glass.

twister.jpg

Bumble bee that is an amazing marble . One issue I have about the thought process about Guacamaya being an early version of Dragonis the other color combos that show up with Guacamaya. Just thinking out loud. Here are the other variations I have found 

F880D48D-86F5-4214-924A-7F32FB2A4D9F.jpeg

5A34F78C-E105-48C4-8B5D-15B693C0834F.jpeg

398381B2-0BE9-4CE0-BF66-6D0ABCAA357B.jpeg

D1BFCBA8-7500-4480-9E88-AD1DA6E4B89E.jpeg

FAA7758E-F1EA-4639-8D2F-0EBE256613F2.jpeg

F40D2CE7-C64B-4EBE-BAF7-0415D2B1897E.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stephenb said:

Bumblebee, maybe your marble doesn’t quite match up to the ones I’ve posted. I’m a little stumped on it to be honest. Does it look machine made to you ? 

In hand it does not look handmade to me. Under a loupe its surface texture is exactly like that of those sharp Twisters I posted. Surface is covered with many small dimples. Looks very much like the 9/16" Dragon surface I got in the same lot.

I don't have a lot of contemporary handmades, but the ones I looked at were extremely smooth with almost no dimpling.

Here's all the views from that eBay auction of vacors that appears to have two of these and a 3rd oddball.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600s.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16200.jpg

• Like 1