A new type of Heaton bag discovered

cheese

*Edit* Steph can you please copy this and repost so the pics will work until we figure out why my pics won't post anymore?

While digging 4 feet down at the Heaton factory, this came up in my shovel. I almost tossed it but it had those rounded corners and I thought, "that looks like a marble pouch", so I grabbed it. Sure enough, it still has print on it. It says Big Shot marbles int he center, as we know Heaton used for their logo, and above that it says "To Open Cut Here" then "To Make Pouch - Punch Holes" and then "Insert Strings". Then below the logo it says M.F.G. By Heaton Agate Company Pennsboro West Virginia. Ron confirmed it is an unknown type bag. The bag is not seamed together well. I'm not sure if that's why it was tossed, or if they never could get it to work right and it was an abandoned project, or if it's a type of bag that was marketed. Either way, it's a rare bag and pretty decent considering it's been buried for 70 years. There was a seagrams 7 bottle unearthed in the hole with it, dated 1951. 

DSCN4501.jpg

DSCN4504.jpg

DSCN4503.jpg

DSCN4502.jpg

• Like 1

I Thank you all for the labor of love, and bear fruit it did,  I like the way Heaton applies their horse hair ox, gives their marbles more depth along w/ the shaded swirls of glass diving in and out of their mibs "classic Heaton ". And plenty of windows to view the inside of most. 1 st mib 6 th post green w/ what looks to be a kind of chocolaty horse hair ox, not the regular Heaton anemic ox., a new one on me as are several others. also last post next to last mib, look's like a metalic covered w/ the sheen of a contemp. oily, outstanding, they're all great mibs, much more busy than the average Heaton I'm used to seeing. A good many metalics also I have a few w/  a lot less metal, great job, Thanks for getting the pics posted on top of the link problem cheese, appreciate it :thup:

Chad G.

Thanks Chad, that link to the heaton archive on AAM wasn't supposed to be in this, I'm not sure how it got posted. This is supposed to be photos of a new type of heaton bag. I edited to remove the link although anyone is welcome to look at it. I posted most of those pics here as well in Steph's study hall.

Did you solve the link dilemma or:white-flag-25:?? I was waiting on the bag pics, thought perhaps stuck in one of the broken link's that's why I came back. Thanks for leaving notice cheese.  ( message me when you find the link solution in case it ever happens to me )  Thanks again.

Regards,

Chad G.

Hello Al,

cheese messaged me his link posting isn't attempts aren't working on this site for some reason, the bag, the dig and all the new Heaton's have been posted on AAM. I wondered the same , messaged and found out, hope the link malfunction isn't contagious.

Chad G.

Edited by Chad G.
correction !!

22 hours ago, cheese said:

*Edit* Steph can you please copy this and repost so the pics will work until we figure out why my pics won't post anymore?

While digging 4 feet down at the Heaton factory, this came up in my shovel. I almost tossed it but it had those rounded corners and I thought, "that looks like a marble pouch", so I grabbed it. Sure enough, it still has print on it. It says Big Shot marbles int he center, as we know Heaton used for their logo, and above that it says "To Open Cut Here" then "To Make Pouch - Punch Holes" and then "Insert Strings". Then below the logo it says M.F.G. By Heaton Agate Company Pennsboro West Virginia. Ron confirmed it is an unknown type bag. The bag is not seamed together well. I'm not sure if that's why it was tossed, or if they never could get it to work right and it was an abandoned project, or if it's a type of bag that was marketed. Either way, it's a rare bag and pretty decent considering it's been buried for 70 years. There was a seagrams 7 bottle unearthed in the hole with it, dated 1951. 

I knew I should have opened this post sooner.  I had planned to.   But *brain numb*

The pix: 

DSCN4501.jpg

DSCN4504.jpg

DSCN4503.jpg

DSCN4502.jpg

15 hours ago, cheese said:

I assume it came with some string in the bag, along with a dozen or so marbles. Wish we found more but hey, one of a kind is cool too.

Thanks Steph!

Morning Chuck,

Took your advice and went to AAM and continued to view the dig & mibs + looked @ the old posts also. Many new ones, an excellent thread. Can't get over how many dug mibs display characteristics of other manufacturers, Hmm  I believe we all know what conspired with nearly all these companies. Cool bag, hopefully you all get 1 more swing @ the property before it's gone and find some more 1 offs. Thanks for sharing and all the hard work !!!

Chad G.

• 2 weeks later...

We did get one more dig this last weekend. A two day dig, and as we packed our stuff the excavator was bringing in fill dirt. The marbles will be 10 feet under in no time. That was the last dig. Val (my wife) found the string for the bag this last dig. I'll show pics soon. There will be a thread with named heatons soon as well. Some amazing outstanding examples will be shown too, Heaton will be a much more common name in the marble world than it used to be. 

Can't wait !! Thanks for all the effort Chuck and all involved !! Who knows what will be found, a lasting memory that's for sure. 

Chad G.

Here are three nice Heaton swirls that I brought home last Saturday from the last dig. The two with aventurine I call Razzel Dazzel.  Plus a nice true oxblood Heaton with aventurine and bubbles. I knew Heaton used a maroon color Vitrolite cullet which looks like oxblood and some call oxblood especially horsehair ox. But it is actually from a maroon color Vitrolite, not actual oxblood. Lots of the maroon color Vitrolite cullet has been found at the site for many years. 

DSC06536.JPG

DSC06537.JPG

DSC06538.JPG

DSC06539.JPG

DSC06543.JPG

DSC06544.JPG

DSC06545.JPG

DSC06547.JPG

DSC06548.JPG

DSC06540.JPG

DSC06541.JPG

DSC06542.JPG

• 2 years later...

Sorry I meant to reply with a picture of the bag with the string and forgot. Years later, here it is. Still the only one known to exist. I don't know if this bag ever made it to retail or not. 

DSCN4922.jpg

• Like 1
  • Award 2

11 hours ago, cheese said:

I don't know if this bag ever made it to retail or not. 

Any Heaton packaging is rare to find.

I suggest that it did make it to retail and more will be found thanks to your images Cheese.

I just love this stuff--really I do!!

Marble--On!!

• Like 1