Looking for input

Berryb

I posted this mib a while ago, probably on the wrong thread.  I just had it set aside because of the ox threads. But a closer look showed me that it is a snake corkscrew. A greyish white translucent almost transparent base with translucent white swirled in and a heavier but still translucent white snake coiled in it.  The whole thing, except the ox, fluoresces under black light.

I am wondering mostly about age and scarcity, but any input would be welcome. The photos are normal light, back light, and black light. Thanks

Bruce

cork white snake1.jpg

cork white snake2.jpg

cork white snake3.jpg

Al; I still think it fits the definition of a corkscrew, the stripe runs from pole to pole more than one turn of the marble. You are right it does take a switchback at one pole, but I still gotta say cork even if not necessarily Akro. There are whiskers at one pole but since the mib is pretty much monochromatic they are hard to see and don't photograph well.

Ron; you think it may be Jabo. I don't know much about Jabo, but it is my understanding that their runs are pretty well documented. Is there anyplace I can go to confirm that it is Jabo and get a manufacture date?

I tried some more pics. Not sure how successful I was. The Black dots you can see are bits of oven brick, there appears to be at least one more inside.  Thanks

Bruce

cork white snake4.jpg

cork white snake5.jpg

cork white snake6.jpg

cork white snake7.jpg

cork white snake8.jpg

2 hours ago, Berryb said:

... it does take a switchback at one pole, but I still gotta say cork even if not necessarily Akro. ..

That feature would prevent it from being an intentional corkscrew for most people.  I'm not aware of any other manufacturers that had the technology like Akro did to make corkscrews (spinner cups, etc.)

Sometimes a twisting pattern will result from a marble traveling down the rollers.  I believe some of the more common examples of this came from Jabo and were referred to as "jorkscrews", since they looked kinda like corkscrews but were more of a fluke.

Yours isn't a bad looking marble, the, UV, oxblood, etc are pluses.  Did I miss the size?

A pic of the Jorkscrew patterned Jabo's. Sorry Bruce, not a very good pic but the best I could muster and the most common one everybody uses for I.D ing them, more views would be great, supposedly the colors never continued to the other pole, sometimes turning back on themselves or just ending halfway, I'm not that familiar with them just going on what I've seen posted and the relatively few pictures available. I'm not aware if there where any uv. or not, I would say more than likely yes, just judging by the great mass of marbles Jabo has produced. 

image.png.6a28ea78855309b7428e2f25c0634d01.png

Jabo did not have any spinner cup or special equipment to make corkscrews. But they happen when producing swirls. If the hot marble does not spin correct in all different directions constant in the very first six roll groves. it will have a spin in one direction making a cork, a yen yang, or other non planned twist pattern. Many different twisted cork patterns were made at Jabo during many years. Some were very good, some were not.  There were many different investor runs  at Jabo from 2008 until they closed recently. I am not convinced that any one person has every color combo or style made in any single run. They were about 160-180 different runs. Most had 2000lbs. each of marbles or more. That is 180 or over 200 tons of marbles. Certain marbles can be like looking for that needle in a large haystack.  I was a investor in about 65 + runs. I had 3-5-6 cases after they were mixed from most runs.  I never ever had every color combination made in a single run.  Plus Jabo had lots of old classic and special investor run marbles that glow. Most glow because of cullet from nearby Fenton Art Glass Co. was used in the marbles. Fenton made their own batch glass to glow on purpose. I worked at Fenton in 1970-1971. To hot for me even in the winter with all doors open. 

Thank you Ron for the insight into Jabo process. I noticed that while shopping on ebay how different people selling Jabo sets have same runs but different families in their sets. It makes sense now. Each investor didn't get every family from a run. 

I have watched the Tribute run on YouTube about 20 times now, so I finally decided to grab a set from that run. Cannot wait to watch vid again when the mibs arrive!

I was a investor in every Tribute run done.  Joe Street did a good job on the video. Every marble collector should watch it.  Some part of it will answer some question.  This is the most simple method of making machine made marbles. Several companies systems are or were more complicated and more equipment. 

In the first photo below, if you look at just the top row, and focus on the Blue, it's definitely a corkscrew.

But if you look at just the bottom row, same marble, and focus on the yellow, it does that switchback in your marble, Bruce.

And the Limeade below, it also has that switchback, and the fold-over that it looks like I'm seeing in your backlit photo (included below as well)

I don't have a clear answer on corkscrew or not, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in here.

I think Akro on yours Bruce.

Mystery4R.jpg

Mystery3.jpg

MysteryBruces.jpg

Thanks disco005; I'm pretty sure I have corks that are undeniably Akro that switchback as well. The whiskers kinda' put it more firmly in Akro for me, but the mib is still a mystery no matter what it turns out to be.  It is just too difficult to photograph. I think the best bet would be to let someone look at it in person at a marble show. If I ever get to one I'll take it. Thanks

Bruce

yup I changed my avatar. When I realized that my old avatar was a darning egg and not a mis-shapen mib I changed it. It may be a Heaton, at least there are some similarities with photos 5 and 25 in your dug Heatons thread. It looks like a comma.  Punctuation joke follows;

Let's eat gramma.

Let's eat, gramma

Commas save lives.

thanks

Bruce