Identifying Popeyes

Gina Macias

I am unsure about the whole range and variations of Popeyes.Can they be swirls and corkscrews and still be Popeyes? What makes them Popeyes? I thought I knew, I’ve looked at identification guides and still there are maybe three marbles I can positively ID without asking, otherwise I’m lost in swirls, flames, slags, opaques and new manufacturers. Does every newbie feel like Alice or Allen in Wonderland without the white rabbit’s help? Maybe it’s just me. Thank you.

Link to the history & description, courtesy of and with permission from the ( Marble Collectors Society of America) MCSA

LINK :  https://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/akro-agate-co/

This link also has the definitions of every bother marble, I would have tapped it out but I type with one finger & In fat finger the keys half the time & spend a good third of my time fixing my spelling. I hope this helps you out Gina !!

image.png.34aabf690a7dc5eee31969febd4c5c6f.png

image.png.d4647e69728a38d7b409b56a0dc86520.png

• Like 1

Same as a popeye except in patch form, i.e. no rotation around the marble/ Color patch goes straight from pole to pole without any rotation or variation. I think if you go to the link they are explained there also, along with other Akro patches.

image.png.b8267580b61b253e1d62a5b9e5cdb675.png

This group of pix courtesy of AAM

image.png.320833e967a49c8d0ce339d1b64b9bdb.png

image.png.5c3e6e88b682733b605dadc7308ea6cb.png

image.png.481fb535f316fda72441704ba77a1090.png

This one is a killer

image.png.9120198555279a3627aa99f3e4d8254e.png

12 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Same as a popeye except in patch form, i.e. no rotation around the marble/ Color patch goes straight from pole to pole without any rotation or variation. I think if you go to the link they are explained there also, along with other Akro patches.

image.png.b8267580b61b253e1d62a5b9e5cdb675.png

Thanks Chad....I think these are them...🤯

20210609_215455.jpg

20210609_215433.jpg

Another link from right here & some pix Steph submitted showing the difference between a regular popeye & a patch, also for Rick a red white & blue example, I believe I've seen every color patch including some so called (Hybrids)

LINK https://marbleconnection.com/topic/24312-difference-between-akro-patches-and-vitro-popeyes/

image.png.9b7b1d2b4274877a2de2d4250a838df7.png

1 hour ago, Berryb said:

I think this is a Popeye patch. It's my only one. If it turns out not to be a Popeye, then I have zero.  I think they are harder to find than Popeye corks. This one has a pea soup green that is not too common. thanks

Bruce

popeye patch1.jpg

Could  ya post a couple more views Bruce ??

Thank you all for the photographs and articles, I really appreciate your assistance. I have looked at that marble collecting site frequently. Once I am able to see better, I sincerely hope I can ascertain, what I have to sort them properly, 3/4 of them I have no idea what they are. It is really wonderful of you all to be so helpful.

6 hours ago, Berryb said:

I think this is a Popeye patch. It's my only one. If it turns out not to be a Popeye, then I have zero.  I think they are harder to find than Popeye corks. This one has a pea soup green that is not too common. thanks

Bruce

popeye patch1.jpg

It’s pretty.

8 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Another link from right here & some pix Steph submitted showing the difference between a regular popeye & a patch, also for Rick a red white & blue example, I believe I've seen every color patch including some so called (Hybrids)

LINK https://marbleconnection.com/topic/24312-difference-between-akro-patches-and-vitro-popeyes/

I have an Akro “Liberty” corkscrew  somewhat like the Popeye and something that looks similar to that patch but the white is opaque, so it wouldn’t be a Popeye. It’s rather confusing. I cannot take pics right now because the cat is not having it!

13 hours ago, Berryb said:

Chad; here are some more pics. 19/32nds. colors- solid white, wispy white, coral, under surface ox, and pea soup green, in a clear base. Thanks

Bruce

Sorry Gina for hijacking your thread

popeye patch2.jpg

popeye patch4.jpg

popeye patch5.jpg

popeye patch7.jpg

Wow !! What an interesting seam, it certainly has all the qualifications of a Popeye +, clear base glass, white whispy strands& "I" wouldn't call it a Vitro !! "I'm" gonna agree with you and say a whacked out Popeye patch, in your case multiple patches, very interesting mib Bruce, let's see if others have anything to add on this one ??

9 minutes ago, Gina Macias said:
8 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I have an Akro “Liberty” corkscrew  somewhat like the Popeye and something that looks similar to that patch but the white is opaque, so it wouldn’t be a Popeye. It’s rather confusing. I cannot take pics right now because the cat is not having it!

Correct Gina, to qualify as a Popeye must have a clear transparent base & secondly white whispy strands, yours indeed sounds like what is being called a liberty corkscrew. I hope this eliminates some of the confusion for you ??

Akro Liberty Corkscrew, Yours is probably very similar to this (opaque everything)

image.png.9ad9f577cda9847028f710d8d38c85cd.png

11 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Correct Gina, to qualify as a Popeye must have a clear transparent base & secondly white whispy strands, yours indeed sounds like what is being called a liberty corkscrew. I hope this eliminates some of the confusion for you ??

Akro Liberty Corkscrew, (opaque everything)

image.png.9ad9f577cda9847028f710d8d38c85cd.png

It does about Popeyes, but now the Akro “Liberty” how many variations can there be? I had a positive ID before I bought mine, so is this really an Akro Liberty?

DC3F79A8-63CA-4A37-B63F-DCE0E6B64C3A.jpeg

77C693C2-FD53-4F61-8C42-4AC2168A7E62.jpeg

AAC8AF95-E919-4CEE-9A27-2787837521BB.jpeg

FB5F1355-B20F-4791-B293-299F21E4B417.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Gina Macias said:

It does about Popeyes, but now the Akro “Liberty” how many variations can there be? I had a positive ID before I bought mine, so is this really an Akro Liberty?

DC3F79A8-63CA-4A37-B63F-DCE0E6B64C3A.jpeg

77C693C2-FD53-4F61-8C42-4AC2168A7E62.jpeg

AAC8AF95-E919-4CEE-9A27-2787837521BB.jpeg

FB5F1355-B20F-4791-B293-299F21E4B417.jpeg

It looks like an Akro corkscrew to me, but it appears it "might" have a translucent (semitransparent) white "Ace" colored base glass. Still "I" would consider it a liberty, a bit harder to find than the normal opaque white. If you want to be sure on the white you can backlight it and see, a translucent base will allow light but no defined shapes through. if it does it's not opaque but translucent, kind of a moot point at this stage but nice for you to know. As far as color combinations & variations they are "endless" if you can imagine it, Akro more than likely made it & everywhere in between. Corkscrews are great to collect, you'll never come to a point where you can say you have every color or combination thereof. 

Chads picture is what most collectors I know consider a Akro liberty.  Gina's is a Akro corkscrew. Probably translucent base and has wrong color blue and red for Akro Liberty.   If you stretch what the base is, stretch both colors, It is still not a Akro liberty for me. Maybe some people can stretch any kind of white, red and blue Akro into a Akro liberty, but not for me. Gina's cork has nothing, not one matching color that Chad's picture has. Opaque white is much different for me than translucent white.  Even if the base matched the red and blue are wrong for Akro Liberty.  

41 minutes ago, wvrons said:

Chads picture is what most collectors I know consider a Akro liberty.  Gina's is a Akro corkscrew. Probably translucent base and has wrong color blue and red for Akro Liberty.   If you stretch what the base is, stretch both colors, It is still not a Akro liberty for me. Maybe some people can stretch any kind of white, red and blue Akro into a Akro liberty, but not for me. Gina's cork has nothing, not one matching color that Chad's picture has. Opaque white is much different for me than translucent white.  Even if the base matched the red and blue are wrong for Akro Liberty.  

I was wondering about the color order as well, thank you for the clarification. It’s a nice marble, so I’m sorry if I offended you by calling it a Liberty. I have a lot to learn.