West Virginia Wednesday !!

1 hour ago, marblenewbie said:

Here are three WV which I think are Alley's measuring .96 to 1.00.  Not as beautiful as Glady's, but pretty nice. Notice the green with the blue on the one on the right1827037397_thumbnail(15).thumb.jpg.a9c46562aacd3b10a267536fdf5200bf.jpg857940478_thumbnail(14).thumb.jpg.596ad98e81d09d1c0b03b94854e5f72a.jpg

Very pretty!!! love the green in there.  the middle one looks mad!   lol    2nd picture!  

This is a “Happy New Years” tip for newer collectors. Take your time and look.
When I search a new lot of marbles I always use a head magnifier and I back light them all with a torch light. The more light the better. I am always searching for Akro Flinties, so I back light everything---EVERYTHING!!! Including cats-eyes and “solids”.
These two would have slipped by as just”pretty nice” without the help that I mention. 
The Champion “metallic” is obviously “metallic”, even in low light at 9/16”. What a great surprise to find it encased in opalescent glass. A  BONUS in my world for sure! 
Take your light and shine it through the marble at a white surface, if it shows a red-dish pink, it has opalescence in the base glass. Many manufacturers used this type of glass but it is not all that common.
The Alley Agate swirl at 5/8” is a nice swirl in hand and that is what it looks like, in hand, under normal light. Light it up with magnification and it is just a very special marble no doubt.
When I find one of these out of a lot of marbles that looked common, what can I say; patience is the key to good collecting. Take your time and be rewarded. I just love finding great marbles out of “the wild”.
I know that there are many collectors that have many of these marbles but finding one, after doing your due diligence just makes them very special. Keepers for sure—just because.
Marble—On!!! and Collect---on for sure!!

Champ metal.jpg

Alley One.jpg

Alley Two.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, akroorka said:

. . . so I back light everything

This is very good advice. I always backlight marbles too. You never know what you might learn.

I like the Alleys with fine AV "tracers" and that one's a dandy in my book.

• Award 1

2 hours ago, akroorka said:

This is a “Happy New Years” tip for newer collectors. Take your time and look.
When I search a new lot of marbles I always use a head magnifier and I back light them all with a torch light. The more light the better. I am always searching for Akro Flinties, so I back light everything---EVERYTHING!!! Including cats-eyes and “solids”.
These two would have slipped by as just”pretty nice” without the help that I mention. 
The Champion “metallic” is obviously “metallic”, even in low light at 9/16”. What a great surprise to find it encased in opalescent glass. A  BONUS in my world for sure! 
Take your light and shine it through the marble at a white surface, if it shows a red-dish pink, it has opalescence in the base glass. Many manufacturers used this type of glass but it is not all that common.
The Alley Agate swirl at 5/8” is a nice swirl in hand and that is what it looks like, in hand, under normal light. Light it up with magnification and it is just a very special marble no doubt.
When I find one of these out of a lot of marbles that looked common, what can I say; patience is the key to good collecting. Take your time and be rewarded. I just love finding great marbles out of “the wild”.
I know that there are many collectors that have many of these marbles but finding one, after doing your due diligence just makes them very special. Keepers for sure—just because.
Marble—On!!! and Collect---on for sure!!

Champ metal.jpg

Alley One.jpg

Alley Two.jpg

Great advice and info! I have to say that these are outstandingly BEAUTIFUL♥ Thank you so much for sharing♥

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I thought the dark swirl was interesting . . .

That is a nice marble, it's not easy to find nice "black" striping on a white base.

Alley Supermen and a couple of Alley Super Ghosts (yeah, I made that up). lol

Ric542.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ric said:

That is a nice marble, it's not easy to find nice "black" striping on a white base.

Alley Supermen and a couple of Alley Super Ghosts (yeah, I made that up). lol

Ric542.jpg

Wow they are so pretty I can see where you would call them super Ghost! Nice! and Thank you for the information now I just have to remember where I put it!