These are pretty cool 2

Ric

These are pretty cool too, similar deal. I am thinking Asian but . . . any thoughts?

Ric743.thumb.jpg.a663bab9b5c1a8516baa98c47e6f9ee9.jpg

Black stripes on the surface, and the vast majority of the bubbles are attached to the vanes - kinda cool.

• Like 2

when we say Asian, help me out, like what?  Like a bizarre cat eye or something else?  I don't know what they are.  Are there new unusual Asian marbles?  I think I may have missed something recently.  I have seen several very knowledgable folks suggest Asian made marbles recently where I wouldn't have thought that at all.  Are we talking new new Asian or 60s , 80s, what.  Legitimate question for Ric or Ron.  I might have guessed pre-1990s Vacor, but not Asian:where do those thoughts come from if you both don't mind me asking?  This is just a straight up friendly question that may help me look at certain marbles better

Most times when some collectors say from Asian or European. That means a couple different things. First is that they do not know exactly who made the marble or exactly what country it was made in or exactly when.  Which may include Korea-China-Philippines-Taiwan- sometimes India. European may include Europe- Germany-UK-France-etc. 

Imperial packaged marbles made in Mexico in Los Angeles in the 1970's. 

Imperial packaged marbles made in the far east starting in mid 1980's. 

Many time collectors refer to Asian as marbles packaged by Imperial Toy Company. They bought marbles from cheap sources in the 1970's-80's from Mexico, then in the mid 1980's from the far east.  Many or these marbles from the far east countries look similar to some master marbles. With similar cut line, colors, style.  These can also resemble some Whispler marbles made by Irene manufacturing in the UK.  

Myself when I see a unusual or odd cat eye type. I do not think Vacor Mexico. I think more from Asia. That for sure can be wrong. Maybe Vacor made lots more unusual cat eye marbles than I know of ?  I thought that the marble pictured above had vanes like a cat eye, with ribbons or striping on the surface.

I could not date or tell you for sure what was any 1960's or 1980's Asian marbles.  Unless it is in a original package. Plus we all know package label's are not all    correct or always match what marbles may be inside.  That is for foreign and USA.  

I am surprised by your question. I thought you were becoming the expert on non USA marbles. I thought you knew all about Asian marbles, Imperial, Whisplers, Vacor, European,  etc.  marbles.  If you think or know it was Vacor ?  Why not just post that ? 

There are thousands or millions of different marbles in the world that I do not know, seen or heard about. Many of those will get lumped together by me as Asian, or European, depending on looks. I feel that I do know more Vacor(not all)than Asian made marbles.  Asian covers a lot of countries and who knows how many makers ????  A sparkler style or type, I may say European sparkler not, Akro sparker.  A slight green tinted base multi vane cat eye, I might say Asian cat eye. A opaque marble with three stripes or ribbons ends coming to near a point. I might say from Imperial or Asian made. 

Many times when Asian or European is said. That means I do not know exactly who made it, what country or time frame. I am just confident that it was not made in the USA.   Most times letting the owner know that I think it is not a Master or Vitro or Peltier, etc. USA made. 

I am sure that I need more education on Vacor cat eye marbles.  Glad to know the one above could be Vacor.

I don't know what they are ?                                                                                           

Or probably best that if I am not sure to just be quiet and not make confusion attaching Asian or European to something I don't know.  

I may have to look at certain marbles better and leave them for someone else to answer the question ?  Maybe less opinion and only what I think are facts. 

OK Ric your turn. 

• Award 1

Let me hook in on this.

I heard that Vitro made marbles for Europe but different from the ones in America.

If this is 100% correct , no idea.

I can deliver those marbles for you all to study , so far a few travelled a few 1000 miles for a trade , some still in transit.

Contact me and you can get different examples to study.

Added a picture of a few patch marbles that are.....vitro ? ....asian ?

Screenshot_20210706-084457_Gmail.jpg

Ron-you took my question the wrong way as I thought might happen.  It frequently does because I have asked loaded questions of you in the past.  I tried very hard to make it clear it was a straight up genuine question.  I still ask those all the time because I want to soak up info and thinking I don't have yet.  I don't know what those marbles are.  So you are thinking possible odd asian cat eye type.  That was what I was asking.  Somebody else elsewhere very recently thought a swirl might be an Asian type.  I didn't understand there thinking on that one.  Ric-was that your thought too?-cat variant?  Ron-I really enjoy discussing new to me marbles....even more than arguing.  If I can pick up something new I will try to do it-it usually involves asking questions

also-I know very little about the majority of Asian marbles and don't even collect most of them on purpose, other than a few colorful ones that were actually sold by Imperial.  I sort of hate them as the only marbles I had as a child was a bag of coke bottle glass cats probably made in taiwan or hong kong or one of those countries.  Yes -I have high interest in European machine mades and its reallyfun new seeing previously unknown variants of those, but that has nothing to do with my original question

one last thought-I know there is a newish seller of Chinese marbles (King) and they are making brand new designs all the time, but also copying some Vacors.  I haven't seen their new marbles in a couple of years and also was wondering if they might be putting out swirls and/or cats now too, and I just hadn't bumped into any yet. (until maybe the last few days)  

I would call it Asian also, not knowing who made it, or when, or 100% for sure that it is Asian. It just has the look that matches in my mind with other known Asian marbles. If we withhold an answer when we don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt, then very few marble identification posts will get answered. Especially when it comes to lesser known foreign types. Green tint to the transparent glass and vanes and streamers from pole to pole, I think Asian. Clear un-tinted or light blue tinted glass and lots of strands from pole to pole, I think European. Might be wrong occasionally but I think that's right most of the time and that's about as good I can do based on the knowledge I have. 

When I was working hard on the swirls (still am), I decided to force myself to name a maker for every one. It's too easy to say "I don't know" and move on to the next one, but that didn't help anything. So now if I think it's 55% chance of Ravenswood and 45% Alley, I say I think it's a Ravenswood. That's the same thing I think most of us do with these foreign types... go with what it feels like and give an answer because that's better than leaving a member with an unanswered question. I don't think it's based on any discovery of new foreign types or anything, just what matches best. 

My answer to Ric was my thoughts. Asian or European ?   Not Masters.  Meaning my thoughts or opinion is, possible Asian or second guess is European. But I did not think they were Master.   Both are best guess. I do not know where, who or when these were made ?  Yes my first and best guess was some type odd Asian cat eye. My second guess might be a unknown European cat eye. I did not say Cat Eye because I was sure that was the style or type Ric would consider them being. 

I think your question was. Do I think it is a possible odd Asian Cat Eye?   The answer is yes Asian or European ? Question mark meaning, I am not sure or I don't know.   But I did not mention the cat eye type or style.  For me the last twenty years, I have seen more odd cat eye marbles attributed to Asia by collectors than attributed to Vacor. But collectors I know including myself have very little proof or documentation of this. Other than a few packages marked from Asian countries. It is a assumption by many collectors. I know what assumption makes. But that is all I have to go with now. If I had new or better info about these marbles or any Asian marbles I would share it asap.  As everyone knows I make some long post trying to explain why I say something, or posting old and any new info I get from any source. Just surprised that I had to explain why I said Asian. That makes the answer or id very wide, several countries and who knows how many makers. In other words maybe what I should have posted is, I don't know. 

I am interested in Vacor Cat Eyes now.  What do most(not all)of the pre 1990 Vacor Cat Eye marbles look like ?  What different traits do they have from USA, European or Asian Cat Eyes ?    You will have to ask lots of questions to ever catch up with the numbers I have ask. I know lots of people hated to see me knocking on their door. Or walking into their room at a show.  Now at shows, I am the one trying to hide more. 

Stay quiet ?   I don't know ?  Asian or European ?      Not sure which is best for me to use ? 

• Haha 1
  • Award 1

On 7/5/2021 at 12:08 PM, Nantucketdink said:

...when we say Asian, help me out, like what? ...

Back in the day I'd sometimes get "unknowns" in with a group of marbles picked up here and there. 

My thought process (arguably flawed) would be to consider whatever manufacturers outside of the US were making marbles in a "similar" style to the OP, and where the vast majority were made (and where those countries exported to). 

Just my opinion and not to take away from some good points already made.  

Ron-I will share pics of the exotic vacors (80s?) with black banding and I can also share some pics of additional 70s and 80s Vacor cats if you are seriously interested.  None of them are a match to the original marble, but they are marbles we rarely see attributed.  Just want to make sure you are genuinely interested in seeing them before I take the time to do so

I sure would like to see them. Plus have them for future reference. I am also sure others here would also like to see them.  Exotic Vacors and Vacor Cat Eye's sure. The more we share the more all of us know. I know it takes time to do these many different post. But it is  not a waste. Someone will benefit from it. Maybe post them in the General  Marble and Glass Chat. It might be seen there more ? 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...