Bronze zebra ๐Ÿค”

Tommy

Tommy, a few things for you to consider, I agree not a "Bronze Zebra" and will explain why. I have found a few that i do scratch my head on, deciding if it is one example or another. Black when it lies on white opaque when the black (washes-over) the white it thins out which appears to be another color. Sometimes black washes to look grey or maybe even brown. A "Bronze Zebra" will lie on a white opaque base with swirls and or ribbons of (brown) glass. The brown is definitely shown to be that color. Now this brown will and (has to) contain av, what color of the av may vary also. These are very fun to look for and a lot of times mistaken. Very important, (wash-over) colors on the base colors. Ron S may want to add to this also if he sees this subject.ย  Chuck G---

• Award 1

This goes back to how far we stretch things. We all want to make our marbles the best we can. Many times we try to make them into something that they are not. This is a very common very average normal Peltier zebra, not a bronze zebra. In the pictures above if you look close with a bright light at the edges of the dark color, some pictures you may see blue and some you may see brown. There is very little true black with marble colors. It is usually blue, purple, brown or green when it is thinned enough. When the dark color is thinner over top of the white you get closer to the true color. Unless where it is thin, it has got to a higher temperature and burns where the color can change to brown or even higher black. A true bronze zebra is brown or bronze color for the majority of the dark color. Not just at the thin edge. No bright light needed to see it.ย 

It is your marble so you can call it a Bronze Zebra. But the problem is when you show your collection to a experienced collector and say it is a Bronze Zebra. If you are selling it do you say, list or describe it as a Bronze Zebra ?ย  We want it to be a Bronze Zebra for one reason because it has more value than a common zebra. If it was listed or described as a Bronze Zebra ? I would think the seller was taking advantage of a unaware buyer. Most if not all Peltier collectors of a few years would not pay Bronze Zebra price for the marble above. The marble above is about $15.00-$20.00 mint if 5/8 inch. Theย  5/8 mint Bronze Zebra would be $30.00-$50.00 or more depending on the av.ย  So we hope and stretch it until we have a Bronze Zebra and not the most common average zebra.ย 

At almost any show 1/3 or 1/4 of the rooms will have a 5/8 zebra for sale. At the same show you would be lucky to find one or two (if that) Bronze Zebras for sale. This is why they are more valuable.ย  The 0.88 zebra above might be $50.00-$75.00 ? Because of size. What would a 0.88 Bronze Zebra be $500.00 ?ย 

Many people confuse these like above as Blue Zebra.ย  For experienced collectors they are not what was named and intended as a Blue Zebra.ย  I have only owned two true Blue Zebras and 5/8 size, in over twenty years. One sold for $250.00 the other sold for $350.00. There was no doubt that they were a true Blue Zebra. Blue color with blue and silver av and no bright light needed.ย 

When you have the true thing there are no doubts. The more the stretch goes the more the value gets less until there is no difference. Then it makes no difference if it is a black, bronze or blue zebra. I am sure in the beginning of naming this marble there was only one marble named Zebra. Then more difficult color combinations also got their own name, with most being more valuable than the original. What color is the animal zebra ?ย  That was the original intent. Have you seen a blue zebra animal ?ย  So the name game begins, then the stretch begins. When the stretch goes far enough, collectors then have trouble knowing what each one really is or was.ย 

Just because there is a hint of blue or brown does not make it a blue zebra or bronze zebra.ย  The majority rules, the majority should be blue or brown to be as such.ย 

For me the one above is a average common Peltier Zebra if it was 5/8 inch.ย  It is larger and more value because of size. Everything I said above has to do with normal around 5/8 inch size. I don't know if I have ever seen a Bronze or Blue Zebra at 0.88, maybe ?ย  A normal black zebra yes, several of them near 0.88 size.ย  So what are your odds that you have that super rare 0.88 size Bronze Zebra ?ย  Maybe you won the lottery ?ย  When we scratch those tickets we want to make the numbers what we want to see. But it is what it is in the end. When we try to get money from it. sooner or later. That is why we want to do the stretch.ย 

• Like 1

From all the knowledge here my marble is a zebra. ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ‘I just like to know what got .I'm not really into selling my mibs if this was the super rare bronze zebra it would stay till the end ...lol. I like to call the marbles by the old school names ...that's just me ...I totally see how the black washes out in the white when I took it in the sun today the colors were more correct. Thanks for the clarification Ron. ๐Ÿ‘ย 

20 minutes ago, wvrons said:

This goes back to how far we stretch things. We all want to make our marbles the best we can. Many times we try to make them into something that they are not. This is a very common very average normal Peltier zebra, not a bronze zebra. In the pictures above if you look close with a bright light at the edges of the dark color, some pictures you may see blue and some you may see brown. There is very little true black with marble colors. It is usually blue, purple, brown or green when it is thinned enough. When the dark color is thinner over top of the white you get closer to the true color. Unless where it is thin, it has got to a higher temperature and burns where the color can change to brown or even higher black. A true bronze zebra is brown or bronze color for the majority of the dark color. Not just at the thin edge. No bright light needed to see it.ย 

It is your marble so you can call it a Bronze Zebra. But the problem is when you show your collection to a experienced collector and say it is a Bronze Zebra. If you are selling it do you say, list or describe it as a Bronze Zebra ?ย  We want it to be a Bronze Zebra for one reason because it has more value than a common zebra. If it was listed or described as a Bronze Zebra ? I would think the seller was taking advantage of a unaware buyer. Most of not all Peltier collectors of a few years would not pay Bronze Zebra price for the marble above. The marble above is about $15.00-$20.00 mint. The mint Bronze Zebra would be $30.00-$50.00 or more depending on the av.ย  So we hope and stretch it until we have a Bronze Zebra and not the most common average zebra.ย 

At almost any show 1/3 or 1/4 of the rooms will have a marble like above for sale. At the same show you would be lucky to find one or two (if that) Bronze Zebras for sale. This is why they are more valuable.ย 

Many people confuse these like above as Blue Zebra.ย  For experienced collectors they are not what was named and intended as a Blue Zebra.ย  I have only owned two in over twenty years. One sold for $250.00 the other sold for $300.00. There was no doubt that they were a true Blue Zebra. Blue color with blue and silver av and no bright light needed.ย 

When you have the true thing there are no doubts. The more the stretch goes the more the value gets less until there is no difference. Then it makes no difference if it is a black, bronze or blue zebra. I am sure in the beginning of naming this marble there was only one marble named Zebra. Then more difficult color combinations also got their own name, with most being more valuable than the original. What color is the animal zebra ?ย  That was the original intent. Have you seen a blue zebra animal ?ย  So the name game begins, then the stretch begins. When the stretch goes far enough, collectors then have trouble knowing what each one really is or was.ย 

Just because there is a hint of blue or brown does not make it a blue zebra or bronze zebra.ย  The majority rules, the majority should be blue or brown to be as such.ย 

For me the one above is a average common Peltier Zebra if it was 5/8 inch.ย  It is larger and more value because of size. Everything I said above has to do with normal around 5/8 inch size. I don't know if I have ever seen a Bronze or Blue Zebra at 0.88, maybe ?ย  A normal black zebra yes, several of them near 0.88 size.ย  So what are your odds that you have that super rare 0.88 size Bronze Zebra ?ย  Maybe you won the lottery ?ย  When we scratch those tickets we want to make the numbers what we want to see. But it is what it is in the end. When we try to get money from it. sooner or later. That is why we want to do the stretch.ย 

ย 

No problem. My post was for everyone not just you. Probably people watching this that never ever makes a post here.ย  Be careful never ever selling a marble till the end. First it is a hundred then a thousand then thousands.ย  Nola has collected 25-30 years and collected steady. Got marbles every month probably every week. She has never ever sold a marble. Then it is way to many to count or even know where they all are when it crosses a million. I didn't sell for years but then I finally gave in and some had to go. Lots more to find new homes in the next 2-3 years.ย  I sold about 50,000 Jabos in two years, a couple years back.ย  The marble bug can bite hard and hang on for years.ย 

• Like 1
  • Award 1

20 hours ago, Chuck G said:

Tommy, a few things for you to consider, I agree not a "Bronze Zebra" and will explain why. I have found a few that i do scratch my head on, deciding if it is one example or another. Black when it lies on white opaque when the black (washes-over) the white it thins out which appears to be another color. Sometimes black washes to look grey or maybe even brown. A "Bronze Zebra" will lie on a white opaque base with swirls and or ribbons of (brown) glass. The brown is definitely shown to be that color. Now this brown will and (has to) contain av, what color of the av may vary also. These are very fun to look for and a lot of times mistaken. Very important, (wash-over) colors on the base colors. Ron S may want to add to this also if he sees this subject.ย  Chuck G---

Chuck , is this what you are talking aboutย 

Mine got some AV , minimal , but its there if you take a good look and spin the marble in the light , so how do i call this one ?

Size 0.72 inch

20211228_160852.jpg

Mo, i would have this example in the (early) (swirl) so called Miller style, as a Peltier Zebra. A VERY nice example and MORE sought after then the ribbon types.ย  This example seems to be another example of a (washed out) black color over laying the white opaque base. Top row, middle photo shows the deep black color which is what all the swirls should have looked like in the whole example. These (early) swirl types are very sought after as i even look for them. The best i can remember is that these two colored swirl types were examples that were in the early "Lucky Boy" box that Peltier done. When you find a (true) brown with av or not av you will know when you see it. Rons comments are always the BEST, he is an asset to the hobbyย  for sure. I will add this also when it comes to the (brown) color in Peltier, it is tough to find. I have looked for years for these different examples. When any color lies on a white opaque base it shows much better of actually what color it is. I have always asked about the (brown) color in glass, maybe Ron can elaborate on this a little more. His input is very important as he is always teaching us all the keys to the hobby.ย  Chuck G---

• Award 1

This is the thing.ย 
โ€œCommonโ€ to a great/experienced collector vs. a low key/hometown collector will always be a thing.ย 
In my world, there is nothing โ€œcommonโ€ about these โ€œZebraโ€™sโ€ and I have been collecting marbles for a long, long time.
Both are โ€œTop Shelfโ€, Tommyโ€™s and Mojos.ย 
If you go to a lot of marble shows, which I do not, these will be overlooked because of all the other multi colored marbles that are shown.ย 
How many of you have gone to a show looking for aโ€ Zebraโ€? I am guilty.
Of course, Zebras are more common than most, but these are both very good/great examples. I really would love to have either in my collection.
Marbleโ€”On!!ย 
ย 

• Award 2

71 Listings tonight on Ebay for Peltier Zebra. I saw some good ones for $9.99 to $30.00. Plus some with the usual crazy dream prices that are never sold for that.ย  The ones above are good examples. When there are numbers for sale on ebay, facebook, weekly all year long and at all marble shows. I consider them common. Common and rare can be a wide spread depending on what you have been exposed to. Alley Chalkies are common to me. But I would not say they are common to the majority of collectors. Most collectors once they have had two or three years collecting, they have or had more than one Peltier Zebra.ย  If you search serious for six months or a year and cannot find a certain marble. For me that is not a common marble. I have searched and worked for five and ten years to find a certain marble. For me that is a rare marble. I have a difference between rare and desirable. Go find a Akro lunch box marble tomorrow or this month. Go find a Davis Marble Works marble tomorrow or this week. Both expensive and cheaper marbles can be rare or common. I still consider the normal zebra much more common than the bronze zebra. I think the bronze zebra is closer to the rare side than the common side. But that must be because of what I have been exposed to ?ย  For me a common marble is one that is very affordable to most, plentiful big numbers produced, and not difficult to find in a month or two.ย  A Golden Rebel might be common if not for the price they demand. But they are not rare. Cost not considered and I can find one for sale in a month or much less.ย  The Golden Rebel is not rare, just expensive. It is in the middle someplace between a normal Zebra and a Silver Surfer which is rare.ย  The Peltier black zebra was one of the earliest Peltier marbles I learned.ย  Because there were numbers of them at every show, to ask about and hold in hand, they were plentiful. Back then I went to one maybe two shows a year. They were in every marble book I saw. Every collector with a few years behind them, knew them.ย  Within three to four years of my collecting marbles, the Peltier black zebra seemed common to me.ย ย 

• Award 1

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

This is a new term/name to me Ron.ย 
If you have any more input I would most certainly appreciate it.

I am always willing to learn.
Thanks, and Marble--On!!
ย 

A link w/ a lunchbox Ron has, I think Bill M. (mibcapper) has a couple also but not sure ?? Scroll almost to the bottom for a few pix of one, a huge marble, as the true Jolly Roger is also. Dug but very, very rare.

LINK :ย ย https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20591&p=164477&hilit=lunch+box#p164477

• Award 1

Thanks for the link Chad. I forgot about that thread, but it was a few years ago. I was over there to visit Roger and Claudia in late Oct. Can you believe I didn't go to the museum or have any new questions for him, LOL.ย  ย I found a couple things I wanted to buy. But he said not for sale with a grin.ย  They always have some great antiques. I got away without spending any money. It is always a pleasure just to chat with them.ย 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, akroorka said:

This is a new term/name to me Ron.ย 
If you have any more input I would most certainly appreciate it.

I am always willing to learn.
Thanks, and Marble--On!!
ย 

ย 

akro lunchbox ...rare.JPG

• Like 1
  • Award 1